Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oklahoma Historical Balearic Slinger :) (Read 20655 times)
macka

is it?

Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
Re: Oklahoma Historical Balearic Slinger :)
Reply #15 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 9:39pm

bigkahuna wrote on Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:05pm:
I think for realism purposes you are much too clean. Outfit needs to look more "lived in". Good job though.

nothing a little mud and a roll in the grass couldn't fix. If you are going to do a Swiss costume, what device are you going to use for hunting?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #16 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 12:12am

Crossbow
sorry haven't done the new pics.
Thesis just went into final revision. Yay! and Bleeping Ugh

Marc Adkins

macka wrote on Jun 30th, 2008 at 9:39pm:
bigkahuna wrote on Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:05pm:
I think for realism purposes you are much too clean. Outfit needs to look more "lived in". Good job though.

nothing a little mud and a roll in the grass couldn't fix. If you are going to do a Swiss costume, what device are you going to use for hunting?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #17 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:11am

winkleried wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 12:12am:
Crossbow
Thesis just went into final revision. Yay!

Optimist  Grin

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #18 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 1:14am

Beats the Alternatives.

Marc Adkins

wanderer wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:11am:
winkleried wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 12:12am:
Crossbow
Thesis just went into final revision. Yay!

Optimist  Grin

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

HHornblower

Slinging Rocks!

The Netherlands
Reply #19 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 8:46am

What material and what length is the sling? And how many strands of the chosen material did you use and what length were the strands?
I'm quite interested in those big, nasty, brutal, heavy Balearic slings and the accompanying stones Wink

yours sincerely,

HHornblower

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #20 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 7:02pm

Which one ? I am wearing three diffrent slings and carrying a fourth. Not to mention the multiple test pieces i made before I went to braiding the ones I am wearing. Also the one around my shoulder is a test piece as well, have yet to braid it using a period/geographic appropiate material.

Marc Adkins

HHornblower wrote on Jul 19th, 2008 at 8:46am:
What material and what length is the sling? And how many strands of the chosen material did you use and what length were the strands?
I'm quite interested in those big, nasty, brutal, heavy Balearic slings and the accompanying stones Wink

yours sincerely,

HHornblower

« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2008 at 11:46pm by winkleried »  

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

HHornblower

Slinging Rocks!

The Netherlands
Reply #21 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 4:35pm

well,

what is the material you made each sling out of? Would love to know to see if i can locate some of material in my surroundings.

yours sincerely,

HHornblower

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #22 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 11:38pm

Test Pieces were made out of Sisal with one sling braided out of  Jutte
Historical pieces were made out of hemp

Marc Adkins

HHornblower wrote on Aug 10th, 2008 at 4:35pm:
well,

what is the material you made each sling out of? Would love to know to see if i can locate some of material in my surroundings.

yours sincerely,

HHornblower

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 5:25pm

What is about flax? The "Petrie's sling" from Lahun in Egypt was made out of it. Flax has been grown by menkind since the early stages of agriculture. It was at hand all around the mediterranean sea and it does very well as material for slings. I normally use it and so far it never broke. (I have a flax sling where I covered the pouch with leather. The leather coverings have been torn off twice already, but the flax is still ok.)
Somewhere I read that horse hair was used too. Unfortunately I do not remember the source. I suppose that the hair of the tail is ment. That would be a marvellous material. But horses where expensive in ancient times and theire tails as well, I suppose. So it would not be the cheaply available material for the normally poor slingers (except on the battle field Cry).

funda iucunda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 12:30am

Following the Balearic Island Documentation, I can document the use of hemp. If flax ( Linen) was used I don't have a reference yet to it.

And I think the source was one of the same ones that I was using. It's the english translation of L'Arte de la Bassetia that this sites hosts over in the general discussion forum.

Looks like the favortie fiber used by the current Slingers was the Esparato fiber. Unfortunately that fiber causes occupational illness in thos exposed to it. I also keep hearing of a fiber called pita..don't know if it is the same thing or not

Would love to try a horsehair sling but that would probably get me kicked out of my ranching family, not to mention all the jokes at the next family reunion.....

"Hey Marc, why don't ya tell us what you were really doing in the stable that one afternoon........" Smiley

Marc Adkins

funda_iucunda wrote on Aug 30th, 2008 at 5:25pm:
What is about flax? The "Petrie's sling" from Lahun in Egypt was made out of it. Flax has been grown by menkind since the early stages of agriculture. It was at hand all around the mediterranean sea and it does very well as material for slings. I normally use it and so far it never broke. (I have a flax sling where I covered the pouch with leather. The leather coverings have been torn off twice already, but the flax is still ok.)
Somewhere I read that horse hair was used too. Unfortunately I do not remember the source. I suppose that the hair of the tail is ment. That would be a marvellous material. But horses where expensive in ancient times and theire tails as well, I suppose. So it would not be the cheaply available material for the normally poor slingers (except on the battle field Cry).

funda iucunda

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 12:39am

doing some bare ones research it looks like Pita fiber comes from the american agave plant. Which would make it related to sisal.

From Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave

The leaves of several species yield fiber: for instance, Agave rigida var. sisalana, Sisal hemp, Agave decipiens, False Sisal Hemp. Agave americana is the source of pita fiber and is used as a fiber plant in Mexico, the West Indies and southern Europe.

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:24pm

Winkleried,

your family must be really nice  Smiley

Esparto is a good material for slings too. I have bought an esparto sling last year in Andalusia. Though it first made an impression of being inflexible and not smooth enough (like sisal which I do not use any more for this reason) it turned out to work very well. So far I didn't get ill from it (except a rapidly growing slinging adiction without any antidote) Wink.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 6:14pm

funda_iucunda wrote on Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:24pm:
Winkleried,

your family must be really nice  Smiley

MA: Welcome to Ranching Clans. Forget every romantic notion you have ever had about cowboys. Reality is low pay, brutal hours, ugly work conditions and you get your laughs where ever ya can. Oh yeah lots of cheap booze (Alcohol for you non americans)

Esparto is a good material for slings too. I have bought an esparto sling last year in Andalusia. Though it first made an impression of being inflexible and not smooth enough (like sisal which I do not use any more for this reason) it turned out to work very well. So far I didn't get ill from it (except a rapidly growing slinging adiction without any antidote) Wink.

MA:Actually inhaling small portions of the fiber while working it that will cause the illness. Actual illness is Hypersensitivity pneumonitis and bronchial asthma. There should be no problems with using the sling. As soon as I graduate I am going to be ordering a esperato sling from the balearics. I'll use it to sling a few rocks and then put it with the rest of my ethnic slings. 
You are on your own for your slinging addiction, I'm having problems dealing with my own addiction to it Smiley

funda iucunda

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #28 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 9:41am

winkleried wrote on Jun 16th, 2008 at 12:00pm:
The Blue Igloo thing is my kids climbing toy, pretty much a geodesic dome that they can scramble up on.

I like that way of putting it.  "scramble upon"I got a chuckle outta that phrase

Grin Grin
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2009 at 8:41pm by Et Cetera »  

IP Logged

Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

hiding somewhere in Indiana
Reply #29 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 10:11pm

Shocked
dude, ur stoned. why don't you just delete that post and comeback in about six hours if you don't pass out before then.

otherwise, lols.

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus)