I am looking foe a simple way to make a trigger mechanism for a crossbow

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: crossbow trigger
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 3:34pm

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 4:03pm

I had a same problem but it got solved. Heres a one scetch of one sort of trigger mechanism. I have also the same mechanism that I've redesigned in my computer. Propably not the simplest but good still. My friends use one more simple mechanism. I'll try to draw it fast with paint  Grin

image006.jpg (25 KB | )
image006.jpg

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 9:26pm

The illustrations used by Nakki represent the standard sort of mechanism for most medieval crossbows.    The "nut" holds the bolt and string, and pivots around it's axis.  the trigger (or "tickler" as the old guys said) holds it from doing so.

The trigger illustrated can be simplified considerably; the one I built is a simple section of 1/8" steel sheet metal cut into a dogleg shape and using a coil spring rather than the leaf spring illustrated.

The nut is historically made from ivory or antler sections; not too practical today.  Most modern replicas use aluminum bar stock or Delrin plastic.  Nylon is fine too.  The slot for the trigger release must be reinforced with a piece of steel so that it doesn't wear.

Check out Alchem for parts, illustrations, and advice:

http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 11:24am

The mechanism is shown in a descriptive way only. The socket for the revolving nut would extend slightly farther above and around the nut to prevent the nut from coming upward at all and jamming or worse popping out. Of course the hole shown in the nut center is for a cord binding which also helps with that same problem. Also the socket top is again, flush to the tiller (stock) top as shown.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 2:35pm

Yeah,
However the nut on my 14th century bow is made from some sort of wood. Seems to work well for me.

Agree with the advice to check out Alchem

Marc Adkins

Bikewer wrote on Jun 7th, 2008 at 9:26pm:
The illustrations used by Nakki represent the standard sort of mechanism for most medieval crossbows.    The "nut" holds the bolt and string, and pivots around it's axis.  the trigger (or "tickler" as the old guys said) holds it from doing so.

The trigger illustrated can be simplified considerably; the one I built is a simple section of 1/8" steel sheet metal cut into a dogleg shape and using a coil spring rather than the leaf spring illustrated.

The nut is historically made from ivory or antler sections; not too practical today.  Most modern replicas use aluminum bar stock or Delrin plastic.  Nylon is fine too.  The slot for the trigger release must be reinforced with a piece of steel so that it doesn't wear.

Check out Alchem for parts, illustrations, and advice:

http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 2:39pm

Actually I found it to be pretty much spot on. It's looks identical to the mechinism that is used on my bow. only downside is I have to occasionally have to manualy reset the nut before I cock it.

Marc Adkins

Thomas wrote on Jun 8th, 2008 at 11:24am:
The mechanism is shown in a descriptive way only. The socket for the revolving nut would extend slightly farther above and around the nut to prevent the nut from coming upward at all and jamming or worse popping out. Of course the hole shown in the nut center is for a cord binding which also helps with that same problem. Also the socket top is again, flush to the tiller (stock) top as shown.    

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 4:36pm

Thanks for all the information folks there is enough here to keep me occupied over the winter ,after I have managed to get into my shed and cleaned it up so I can work in it as it's a bit of a mess
Thank you all once again

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)