Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mortar Rounds, with Pics! (Read 7590 times)
MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Mortar Rounds, with Pics!
May 12th, 2008 at 8:53am

First of all, I want to preface this thread by saying the title is referring not to the siege weapon you might think, but actually, rounds made out of masonry mortar. My girlfriend, Sommer, in her infinite sweetness and understanding of my weirdness and obsession with slinging, decided to surprise me the other day with some ammunition she crafted for me in secret out of masonry mortar stuffed into vaseline-lined plastic easter eggs, then dried in her garage for several days. She did a couple different sizes, some normal egg sized (3.5 oz, almost exactly) and others slightly under thumb sized (around 1.25 oz). Aside from being semi-crumbly and soft, the mortar rounds came out really well. To me, I consider the ideal sling projectile weight to be about 3-4 oz, so the fact that the large ones came out @ 3.5oz, is spectacular. I'd mentioned doing this sort of thing in conversation with her one time, and apparently, she thought she'd go and surprise me! And surprise me she did! My girlfriend makes sling ammunition for me. I knew there was something special about her when I met her... WinkAlso included is a picture of Goliath, the most recent braided sling, I made from Jute cordage. It's a nice split pocket design on which I've done a bit of weaving at both pocket ends to close the pocket a bit, but still allows me to throw projectiles as big as softballs, provided they don't slip out of the sling.

On second thought, since the photos are so huge and bound to cause merry hell with someone's computer, I'm just going to include the links.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/Jackcordial/Picture.jpg -small ammo
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/Jackcordial/Picture004.jpg -lg. ammo
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/Jackcordial/Picture002.jpg -all ammo
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/Jackcordial/Picture001.jpg -Goliath

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Re: Mortar Rounds, with Pics!
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2008 at 10:19am

Those look really great, talk about having a great girlfirend!  I've been considering using an easter egg as a mold, but I just found a small plastic football that I'm going to try first.  What kind of consistancy did she mix the mortar to?  I had also thought about casting with chunks of iron or lead in the middle to add weight, suspended in the middle with wire to make sure it doesn't throw off the ballance on the projectile.  We'll see how that goes.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2008 at 7:00pm

dream girl  Cool

I have like 50 concrete eggs laying around my room hehe

IP Logged

Slingermedia
Tiro

Accuracy is what I want...

Denmark (Lithuanian)
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2008 at 2:28am

This is a link to cement molding posted a while ago: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196999458/0#0
I found out that covering prototype form in candle wax (dipping it in melted hot candle wax) till about 1-3 mm of thickness is the way to go.
When prototype glande covered with wax has stayed long enough in cement form "cups". I put it into oven to melt wax. So top bottom and prototype gland could be separated.
Than you can reuse cement gland prototype. But gluing 2 parts together (of gland prototype) requires glues that does not melt in high temperature.

This was my arsenal of glandes Smiley Coloring helps finding them on green grass. If they do not dig to deep to ground Smiley
In future I'm planing to put all this cement "molding" process on YouTube, but I still need to perfect the process of making.

WWW Slingermedia 210871698  
IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2008 at 2:31am

Grin

Your GF is a keeper.

Nice sling and glandes.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2008 at 6:03am

WHAT A WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does she have any sisters? Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2008 at 6:49am

Slingermedia wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 2:28am:
This was my arsenal of glandes Smiley Coloring helps finding them on green grass.

What the heck is that most bottom one in your pic??? It confuses me a lot Huh

IP Logged

Slingermedia
Tiro

Accuracy is what I want...

Denmark (Lithuanian)
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2008 at 7:32am

JustKnot wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 6:49am:
Slingermedia wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 2:28am:
This was my arsenal of glandes Smiley Coloring helps finding them on green grass.

What the heck is that most bottom one in your pic??? It confuses me a lot Huh

Thats a training grenade Smiley

WWW Slingermedia 210871698  
IP Logged

Loki
Descens

One with the sling I am

Clovis, Ca.
Reply #8 - May 16th, 2008 at 7:33pm

Your girlfriend sounds really cool. My girlfriend is interested in slinging, she is already making slings of her own, but she has yet to try them. She wants me to teach her. Your sling looks good too. I like the weaving on the ends of the pocket.

Loki  
IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:32am

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I made a discovery (in my trash can) that brings me to revive it.  As I was preparing to take the trash out the other day, I noticed a large plastic mould sitting in the top.  My wife had been cleaning out the cabinets, and appearently she had a mould for making Jello eggs.  I can't believe she's been holding out on me like that Smiley  Anyway, they're about 2.25 inches long, and there are six to a mould with a large (.5") opening at the top.  Can't wait to try it and see how it works.  I should hopefully be able to this weekend, but we will see.  If all goes well then pictures will be coming shortly.

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 7:05pm

Well, the mold worked wonderfully.  The finished eggs are 2.5" long and 1.5" thick.  First off I sprayed the inside of the mold with WD-40 (it's all I had on hand), then I used a plasic bag with the corner cut out to squeeze the concrete through the hole in the top, and let it sit for two hours.  Presto, perfect egg.  Well, almost.  I didn't put enough WD-40 in the top, so a small piece broke off when I removed it, but other than that I didn't have any trouble.  I went this afternoon to sling one, and got it out to 190 yards on the first (and only... technically I was at work so I didn't linger) cast.  I'm not sure as to the weight of this thing, as I do not have a scale.  When I get one I will post the weight.

Here's a picture of the mold with an egg next to it

IP Logged

GoldenWolf

A woman with stones........and
a sling or two.

Wisconsin
Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 12:21am

Maybe try silicone spray? I don't remember what the lubricant is in WD40, but if it's a petrochemical it may eat the plastic eventually. Silicone won't. This is presuming that the mold is really plastic and not silicone (some Jello Jigglers molds are made of silicone). DO NOT use silicone spray on anything made from silicone as the chemicals that keep the silicone in the spray liquid will dissolve "solid" silicone. Of course, unless you soak it in the stuff it will just mar the surface, but I suspect you'd lose the lubricant properties as well.

To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target&&&&I intend to live forever, or die trying.&&&&I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

IP Logged

paulmiller

Havent been in for a while

Birmingham, AL
Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 12:56am

Hey Grubby that glande turned out great!! You did not tell me you tried it, that is a sweet distance. Where did you sling it at? Side note, Luke really wants to learn to Sling. I was showing off the "monster" to him today.

Zechariah 9:15 The Lord who rules over all will guard them, and they will prevail and overcome with sling stones.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 7:27am

[quote]I was showing off the "monster" to him today.[/quote]
lol okay I know how this is going to sound - but could you show us the 'monster' (yeah yeah, lets not be childish here ;-)

How about a dry ptfe spray I've got some my mate 'found' at his place of work. Haven't used it yet but it's supposed to be very good. Might try it on the crocodile.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 8:32am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 18th, 2008 at 7:27am:
lol okay I know how this is going to sound - but could you show us the 'monster'

Well, that would be

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172017416/180#180

Brian,

Nice projectile. You have somewhere you can throw it 190yds and still find it? I envy you. Not that I have the trouble of throwing much that far Wink.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, vetryan15)