Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How long is "too long"? (Read 6126 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Re: How long is "too long"?
Reply #15 - May 4th, 2008 at 1:07am

Larry Bray is about 5-9 and his record distance sling is/was 51" as I remember (look around the site and you'll find its length documented).  After watching him throw a golfball 400+ yards (estimated...  it cleared a forty foot fence at 300 yards and two witnesses said it was still rising when it went over that fence) I would say the length is important in such a Heculean effort but the technique is probably more important.  I was there and watched it and my mind is still trying to grasp the reality of it... it was unaturally natural...  his whole body from hair ends to tips of toes seemed to be focussed and directed into that throw... but he did do it with a 4 foot+ sling length.

GOW

George N

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #16 - May 6th, 2008 at 10:13pm

I would love to have seen that!!Larry obviously has perfected this tech.Is the sling in Aardvark's video from the Slingfest in Wyoming also 51"?

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - May 7th, 2008 at 7:03am

if you mean the one in the 'best long distance technique' thread - then yes. That's larry on the evening of the last day being made to throw for a couple of local lads who turned up late.

He was using a fairly long sling all weekend - so I suspect it was that length or thereabouts.
I know I couldn't do anything terrible useful with it.

I tend to rely a lot more on sheer brute strength and arm speed :-)
(hence the knackerd elbow lol)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)