Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HQ YouTube video(s)   // Updated (Read 13183 times)
Slingermedia
Tiro

Accuracy is what I want...

Denmark (Lithuanian)
HQ YouTube video(s)   // Updated
Apr 24th, 2008 at 9:06pm

I just posted a new video in YouTube.

-----------------------------// Apr 24th//-----------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWHV2WYdfTI&fmt=18 ;   // old video of me slinging

-----------------------------// May  6th//-----------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc_rAly4oLY&fmt=18      // new video of my brother and "greek" style. Yes he is left handed Smiley

I'm not even sure how this style is called. I prefer this style for short distances, because I include all my body in throwing motion, not only hands. Stone seems to me, leaves pouch with descent amount of energy Smiley
38 m/s. Sorry for my miscalculation actually stone speed was 44-45 m/s.
Only 5%  4% Smiley of stones hits the target, but close target for me is quite new experience. Up until couple weeks ago I was slinging for distance.
In this particular style I overload my elbow, and after slinging I feel annoying pain Smiley Does anyone have similar problems ?   // biceps muscles needed one week vacation, everything came back to normal now

For uploading HghQuality videos to youtube you need :

Convert video file you have to .avi ->
480x360 resolution
MPEG-4 (DivX Video Codec)
4:3 (Apect Ratio)
30 fps
Depending on your file size : I used 2592 kbps (Bitrate)
Audio 44100 (Sampling frequency), Highest bitrate

After uploading, in a while a choice of having a (High or Low) video quality appears. Below video clip.
if you add        &fmt=18       to the end of video link as I did, users that clicked on link will watch it in HighQuality automatically.

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008 at 8:51pm by Slingermedia »  
WWW Slingermedia 210871698  
IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: HighQuality YouTube slinging video
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 11:00pm

Wow!!Good representation of a good style.I am going outside right now to learn this style in the dark.Thanks.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2008 at 11:36am by Burner »  

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Slingermedia
Tiro

Accuracy is what I want...

Denmark (Lithuanian)
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2008 at 3:22am

Burner wrote on Apr 24th, 2008 at 11:00pm:
Wow!!gGood representation of a good style.I am going outside right now to learn this style in the dark.Thanks.

It's great that you are interested in it Smiley There are only two things I would like to mention about it :

1. I find it best way to achieve good results if before the throwing motion I stand with my side to target, and turn to it just before "hit"
2. Best way is to let sling travel by its own up until almoust very end, with relaxed full length hand. And only in the very end "hitting" in full energy

WWW Slingermedia 210871698  
IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2008 at 5:59am

ive been using practiclly the same style as you Ged. lol

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2008 at 1:52pm

Great work with the video Gediminas.
I like it that you show it slower and full speed, and than even slower again. I still had to see it several times to get all the details, I even stopped and restarted the 10 x slow version to see what the sling actually did.

As for the style, I think you have a modified version of the figure of 8 style, with the sweep behind your head rather horizontal instead of dipping, see the animation and links for videos here: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1209036625

But as with all styles, I find it hard to be sure.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Rueben
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 2:12am

Great video Gediminas. You created a new (very high) benchmark for sling videos. What was the red thing you were throwing (or was that just a special effect added when editing)?

I think that your style would be classified as a side-arm throw or helicopter side-arm (since the sling is passing horizontally over your head). This is not a figure-8, which is a vertical throw.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 3:14am

Great video!  The force was definitely with you there!

Thanks for the efforts and thoughts of making the slow motion and the red circle.

I'd say the style is an overhead with a one and a half revolution.  Great shot!

I am making a slow motion video too.  Editing is going to take a while.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 7:12am

standard sidearm.

Thought it was by the description - but had to download the bloody video to play it. just wouldn't play through youtube for me.

Yeah high quality and youtube don't really work if you don't have a stupidly fast broadband connection. As I'm currently limited to a 2mb connection [i](on a good day with a following wind and nobody else in the village using their computer, no sunspots and the earth's magnetic field in beneficial alignment) [/i]I'd rather just have a standard 320x240 upload with the default settings - at least they stream okay :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 11:47am

Okay,so let me get this straight.,

The panel of experts say:Willeke-Figure-8.

Reuben and Aardvark-Sidearm.

Tint -Overhead with one and a half.

Jaxslinger-Unsure.

I learned this style with help from the video,and last night nailed a beer can with a 37" leather pouch sling at 35'.I don't know what to call it but preliminary results show it to be effective at short range.Thanks again,Gediminas,and welcome to the forum!!

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 1:22pm

right I went through this a while ago while trying to sort videos into categories for the dvd (honest I haven't forgotten just need to sort a few things out before further progress).

I categorise throws by release point and fig 8 (which is the only one based on hand movement).

Gediminas video illustrates the most natural slinging style I know and the one I started using when I started slinging.
The release is between shoulder and knee - so I call it sidearm. With practice you can shift to a vertical release with the same wind up - I still call it sidearm.

Standing side-on to a target helps - but it's generally not a terribly accurate style, however for me it's easily the most powerful and the one I use for any real distance shots.

The naming of sling styles is still totally an individual thing. Some of the stuff that's called fig 8 - to me, clearly is nothing of the kind.

Even when you look at the balearic videos no two throwers use exactly the same style. though most use a sidearm variation.

It seems to be the nature of the sport that we all do our own thing.

However if you wish to discuss something then you need to categorise it and set it in stone language wise.
And until more than two slingers can agree on what a style is called we're all probably better off saying things like.

[i]It's sidearm - you know the one where I stand sideways bring my arm up and round and then use my waist and shoulder to throw. To which the answer can be, oh right yeah I call that the tivoli twirl - but I know what you mean [/i]:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 3:05pm

Your style reminds me of Yurek's style (with one windup spin instead of two) or SV's sidearm style.  I do see a similarity to the figure-8, though that style swings the sling vertically during the final snap.  There is also a similarity to Johnny's sidearm-almost-underhand style, that he illustrated in a series of drawings
here
.  If you started with the sling stretched between your hands, over your head, you would have David Taylor's Greek sidearm style.

Overall, I'd call this a sidearm style, though I am becoming hesitant to tag styles with names.  The more videos I see of other slingers, the more I realize that nobody slings exactly the same.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 9:46pm

I thought sidearm is one where the sling remain on the side during the entire wind-up like Matthias did in his whip sling video: (Very cool video!)

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1123105011/0

And overhead is the same as a helicopter.

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 10:29pm

that's quite an excellent shot from (i'm making an educated guess) quite an excellent slinger, good one!  Shocked

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 9:42am

That clip of Mattias looks like the Tivoli Twirl.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 12:13pm

lol it is all the same style (nothing like fig 8) but with individual variations. I can pretty much pick my release plane with any style these days. But it's the windup I tend to categorise - or the release point
lmao.

For the dvd it's almost purely categorised by release point or I'd never have got anywhere :-)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris)