Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Re: david and goliath (Read 133915 times)
Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Re: david and goliath
Reply #60 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 10:35am

It was all there, the background scenery was spectacular with many close up views of Luis holding his braided split pouch sling, smooth stones, multiple clips of his slinging form in both normal and slow-mo. Of course the usual “experts” did commentary on things such as the end of a sling breaking the sound barrier.

Luis hit an impact sensor about the size of an audio cassette mounted at a height of nine feet. The reading was well beyond that required for the kill.

As of now, two more showings are upcoming next week 12/21 and 12/22.

tom      

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #61 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 11:14am

Well done balearic_slinger! Viva the foners of Menorca!

IP Logged

balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Reply #62 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 11:52am

HELLO everibody, lot of time since last time i was visiting the web site.
So It went really on tv, or is going on soon?

I think tom has described exacly what we did.
The producers are not answering me the e-mails I'm sendding them.

Really happy having notice from the show.

livermore  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #63 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 12:32pm

Yeppers it was, and a nice one it was too.  Now this was diffrent than the making of the sling that was posted above, this one showed Luis casting the rocks at a nine foot target at relatively close quarters. It also showed that he needed several shots to actually do it.  Luis was using a large rock with one of his handmade slings.
According to the surgical expert Luis needed 3 kilonewtons in order to kill Golaith and achieved 3.62 Kilonewtons when he hit the target.

Also showed quite nice the sonic boom that the tail end of a Balearic Sling makes during the cast.

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 16th, 2008 at 7:45am:
so was that the program with him 'killing' the goliath dummy or not ?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #64 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 12:34pm

Was on last night in the U.S. sir,
Marc Adkins

balearic-sling wrote on Dec 16th, 2008 at 11:52am:
HELLO everibody, lot of time since last time i was visiting the web site.
So It went really on tv, or is going on soon?

I think tom has described exacly what we did.
The producers are not answering me the e-mails I'm sendding them.

Really happy having notice from the show.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #65 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 1:03pm

okay - now can anyone record it for the rest of us and luis in particular ?
If we've got the video clip I've still got the producers contact details, I'll see if we can get permission to post it somewhere legally.
But one of you needs to record it to dvd or a hd recorder first Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #66 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:47pm

I'm sure Thomas saved it to his t.V. but it is probably only viewable through the machine at his house.The copyright thing is a bit sticky,no?Don't worry,I just scored a used betamax machine at the local boot sale and will copy the show for us. Grin

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Reply #67 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 4:25am

Thank you everyone for all the information, like this I'm having some notices from the video, speck having notice from the producres, they sayd that wen it went on tv they will send me a copy, but no notice from them.

again Thank you for looking in internet to now wen was going on.

Luis Pons Livermore.

livermore  
IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #68 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 7:17pm

I just caught a History Channel show called Bible Battles.  Included, of course, David & Goliath.  David has a leather pouched 'hairy' cord sling that he loads a rock into and starts to spin helicopter style.  The narrator says they were some 30 ft apart and that David could accelerate a 4 oz tennis ball sized rock to 120 feet per second and drive it 1-1/2 inches into Goliath's eye socket with 16 ft. pounds of energy. 

Something not quite right about those figures, but I'm not gonna calc them... The same show earlier has Saul committing suicide seppuku style stabbing through the leather scale armor he's wearingShocked Cry  yAnd what's wrong with that picture?? Huh

What dreck!!!!!

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #69 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 10:18pm

Not the same show unfortunately.

Now back to the main show and something you would like they did discuss briefly the possibility that  David used a sling staff, then did a few practice casts using flaming pots and decided that it just wasn't possible to get the same level of accuracy out of it.

Marc Adkins

StaffSlinger wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 7:17pm:
I just caught a History Channel show called Bible Battles.  Included, of course, David & Goliath.  David has a leather pouched 'hairy' cord sling that he loads a rock into and starts to spin helicopter style.  The narrator says they were some 30 ft apart and that David could accelerate a 4 oz tennis ball sized rock to 120 feet per second and drive it 1-1/2 inches into Goliath's eye socket with 16 ft. pounds of energy.  

Something not quite right about those figures, but I'm not gonna calc them... The same show earlier has Saul committing suicide seppuku style stabbing through the leather scale armor he's wearingShocked Cry  yAnd what's wrong with that picture?? Huh

What dreck!!!!!

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #70 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 8:21am

I finally did catch Luis in "Bible Tech" last night.  Great job Luis!

Also the guy who didn't know much about staff slings except for tossing clay firepots.  Obviously he was an expert.   "Ex" = former; "spurt" = a drip under pressure.  Expert = a former drip under pressure. 

I'm not sure he actually launched any firepots.  They cut away from the lighting, to the rotation of the staff, and then the pot landing.  Didn't seem to come in very hard; and did seem to come down as if it had been "tossed" - too convenient that the camera was that close to the the exact impact point....

IMHO think staff slings are much easier to become accurate with, as the staff extension and vertical plane of release are easier to align than the circular 'guess I should let go now' arrangement with the hand sling.  I do agree with the "expert" that it is unlikely David used a staff sling.  He undoubtedly carried a shepherd's crook or at least a hiking stick; and he carried a sling.  That the Israelites at that time (and David in particular) combined the two we have no evidence.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #71 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 9:09am

A lot of these scenes in these historical documentaries are set up and staged. Sometimes with a specific idea in mind. Usually maximum drama, or a way to prove the point or both. I really would not trust them too much. the biblical ones (and I am going to open a barrel of worms on this one) are especially bad, since there is the point of proving that this specific thing happened.
  For instance, a few years ago there was one broadcast where a shard of a bowl was found. Engraved on the bowl was the word
"Jalut", which is Hebrew for Goliath. Thus, this proves that Goliath existed! Bit of a stretch.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #72 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 3:18pm

I just saw the same show Staffslingser saw and there is something wrong.
it mentioned David using a tennis ball sized rock, and that he and Goliath were 30 ft. from each other. (where they got this from, I don,t know) and that he hit Goliath with 16 ft.lbs of force.
  Now, I'm about as mathematically inclined as a fencepost, but I know enough from my own research to know that's not right.
That would have had to have been one very light rock that was thrown. The average Roman glande was 1.5 oz, and it hit with a force of 52-58 ftlbs of force..  Even taking into consideration the fact that it was,nt as aerodynamic as a glande, a stone that large should have more force than 16 ftlbs to it.
  At least they portrayed Goliath within the normal size range, and not 30 ft. tall or anything.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #73 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 6:11pm

He's right. Due to my previous training I pretty much key into the metric units, so I completely ignored the other measurements. From what I remember Luis achieved something on the order of 3.62 Kilonewtons of force. When I run the conversion of newton to pound-force I got an answer of 813.81.
Now  I am not a physic or mathmatical guru so I may have goofed something up. I will take a closer look at my figures when I get home and actually put pecil to paper on them.

Now a tennis ball sized rock depending on the particular density of the stone should weigh around 300-500 grams (10 to around 17 oz) yeah it should hit more solidly than that

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Dec 22nd, 2008 at 3:18pm:
I just saw the same show Staffslingser saw and there is something wrong.
it mentioned David using a tennis ball sized rock, and that he and Goliath were 30 ft. from each other. (where they got this from, I don,t know) and that he hit Goliath with 16 ft.lbs of force.
 Now, I'm about as mathematically inclined as a fencepost, but I know enough from my own research to know that's not right.
That would have had to have been one very light rock that was thrown. The average Roman glande was 1.5 oz, and it hit with a force of 52-58 ftlbs of force..  Even taking into consideration the fact that it was,nt as aerodynamic as a glande, a stone that large should have more force than 16 ftlbs to it.
 At least they portrayed Goliath within the normal size range, and not 30 ft. tall or anything.    

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Reply #74 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 4:30am

I don't understand much of the things you are posting here, because the lenguage, I think you are saying that the test of the impact mesure is not corret? The people ho ware filiming ,as before somebody said had a principal idea from the beggining, and at the end we were having no more time because it was getting dark, and slinging to "Goliath" was flimed in abaut 10 min, and  all was russing up. You have said that it not possible the test of the impact? Im sorry if that is not like it has to be, i did as good I could.

livermore  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)