Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Re: david and goliath (Read 132089 times)
timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: david and goliath
Reply #15 - May 3rd, 2008 at 2:06pm

Hi, balearic-sling.  I have recently started to enjoy sling-braiding, and would wery much like to see pictures of your slings. And I guess this goes for many((most)all)) of us.  After all, in this you are the one with the real know-how and practical experience Wink
timann

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #16 - May 4th, 2008 at 4:16pm

Respect.

You are quite the slinger, I'm better than average when I'm slinging regularly but you are much better than I am.

Id love to see some of your slings also.

How do you practice? do you work hard on form and keeping focused or do you just sling constantly? or both lol

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #17 - May 6th, 2008 at 9:19pm

I'll be sending you a PM in the next couple of days.
Thanks

Marc Adkins

balearic-sling wrote on May 3rd, 2008 at 10:31am:
Thank you for loking the videos, the last one you post was me slining in menorca's forest.
I make my own slings with natural elements, and depens for what I'm going to use the sling, Can be more longer or shorter, harder or flexible. I normally sell them. If you want to see pictures or more information ask me.
Thnak you and keep slinging!!!!

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Reply #18 - May 8th, 2008 at 5:37am

Normally each one slings for competicions wen we can, I do it  abaut 40 min a day, and week ends we manage to go somewere and be one o two hours ,but depends.
The important thing is not training every day a lot of time, the best thing is have a good tecnic and have the sling in perfect condicions, they have been balearic champions that they only have a good tecnic and never practise.
(sorry for my grammar).

P5060080.JPG (1231 KB | )
P5060080.JPG
livermore  
IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #19 - May 8th, 2008 at 11:54pm

Sling hand....

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #20 - May 10th, 2008 at 1:37pm

Hi, Balearic-sling.
The sling in the picture is obviously braided from a rather hard and stiff and `hairy` material, this explain the wish for a leater lining in the finger hole.  The hemp I can get, is more than soft enough without it.  If I want leather there, I could easily sew it on.

Also I see is the lack of leater reinforcement in the split. I guess this is really optional.

What i would really like to see now, is the gripping end, with or without a gripping knot.  I have glimpsed both on the balearic videos I have seen.  How do you prefer it?  How is the end of your slings?
timann

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - May 11th, 2008 at 6:50am

if you close in on his hand you can see that he's got an unbraided tail entending from his fist - so one would imagine there's a knot or the whole thing would come unravelled.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #22 - May 11th, 2008 at 7:24am

Yes, C-A I can see it.  But still, the sling dissapear between the thumb and index finger, and reappear as a tail beyond the little finger, and that is the little bit I`m interested in Smiley

After braiding slings for, what is it, weeks, I have experimented with a lot of different ways of thinning and knotting in that bit of the sling.  And Balearic-slinger keeps the secret hidden in his hand in that picture

Usually I continue full braid thickness thru where I grip, without a grip knot, then thins the braid out rapidly,and finnish the ends with simple overhand knots beyond my hand.

I have also tinned the release end braid down so it is thin enough to make a grip knot, then continued with a thin braided tail, and finnished as the first.
And several other ways...you see, I can too much, and know too little Smiley

I still got a lot to learn and love to see other peoples solutions Smiley
timann

IP Logged

balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Reply #23 - May 29th, 2008 at 6:09pm

here you are , sorry for a long time with out saying nothing.

prices

depends of wich kinde of sling you want.
A very simple one , is 25€ , a complet one with out leather 35 
€,with leather 40, and a long for long distance 40.
All are hand made and each one diferent .All with natural elements 
and they exactly the ones we use.
I dont know the shipping cost.

page.jpg (489 KB | )
page.jpg
livermore  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - May 30th, 2008 at 6:57am

go on then who's going to be the first to shout 'bloody hell that's expensive'.
lol
someone usually does ;-)

Given the time and effort involved in a hand braided sling I think it's pretty reasonable.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #25 - May 30th, 2008 at 2:48pm

Nice pictures, balearic-sling.  I have been studying them, and have seen what kind of effort is used in making them.

But even nicer, I think, is the fact that they does not look wery much better than the ones I braid for myself.  Ha, I knew they was valuable objects. Smiley

But I spend a bit of time when braiding them, to be certain everything is perfect, and must buy materials  (,or scavenge them), and guess I too would have to charge a pretty amount of money, if I should sell them and actually earn something.

Of course, as a norwegian, I know a few things about hand-made cultural objects and mind-boggling prices Cheesy
timann

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #26 - May 31st, 2008 at 12:43pm

I have been doing a little bit of mathemathics, and checked currency values.  I do not think balearic-slingers prices are bad at all, now.  If I should deside to braid up a some slings, and sell them, at a middle age or viking fair or something, I would not bother unless I could get at least 200 norwegian kroner for each of them.  That would be ca 25 euro or 40$, i believe. Smiley

And measurinc, cutting, and sewing on leather would mean extra time and expense.  So there you have it.

But this has not been something that has been happening (but I might have planted  a seed, perhaps, once, when I met some viking reenactors and creftsmen Wink)

After all, knotting, braiding and splicing have been my hobby for some 20ish years Smiley
timann

IP Logged

balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Reply #27 - May 31st, 2008 at 7:41pm

Hello, they are expensive or not depending each one , The roaps We use, we have to unmake and fix them in a different way, thiners or longers.
each one is diferent and we do it with lot of tension on the roap and normally they have to be wet because the "pita" (material) is from young plants and they are hard to make a brain with it.

livermore  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Re: david and goliath - History channel program
Reply #28 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 6:47pm

balearic-sling wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 8:46am:
I was participating in the documentary that is was flimed in israel for the History channel a couple of weeks ago.
Its going  on USA tv oround the 16th of june. If you want to know more things abaut it just ask me.

OK - so I've been wondering if anyone has any concrete information about this program.

Going through the schedules on the History Channel website there is such little detail on program content that I can only guess that this may mean a program called "Ancient Discoveries: Ancient Super Ballistics" which shows at 9pm Eastern on Tuesday 17th June.

Does anyone know any different?

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #29 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 12:34am

It is the Ancient Discoveries program.  Here is the web site to the production company that did the episode.  http://www.biblicalproductions.com/news.htm ;
It took me awhile to find, but I ended up just googling belearic-sling's name, and presto! there is was.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus)