Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Re: david and goliath (Read 132042 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: david and goliath
Reply #165 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 10:58am

german company - so you might need to install a vpn program to watch the videos from the states.
They're legit, registering shouldn't be a problem.

I'm still kicking myself, that when they contacted me to recommend a slinger, that i didn't say I'd do it myself 'Doh!'
Smiley

That said, louis is a lot more telegenic than I am Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #166 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 11:58am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 21st, 2019 at 10:58am:
I'm still kicking myself, that when they contacted me to recommend a slinger, that i didn't say I'd do it myself 'Doh!'

Oh man!  That would have been extremely cool to do that.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #167 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 11:19am

yeah, unfortunately it was the year before we did the hillfort experiments.

Had it been after I'd have known that I could hit a head at over 20 metres and would have talked them into taking me to israel.
But alas, it was not to be Smiley

I still say luis makes a better goliath than a david whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Reply #168 - Dec 23rd, 2021 at 4:32pm

Hello! Haven’t been here in a long time. I’m sorry but I don’t have the time I wanted to be here talking about slings. This post. Is from a long time ago , and maybe you will like seen our last video filmed from a german company.
Alex or David I don’t know if here is the place fir post it, ig not say it to me and put it where it has to be
https://youtu.be/y2qfjvwDM3A

livermore  
IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #169 - Dec 23rd, 2021 at 4:55pm

balearic-sling wrote on Dec 23rd, 2021 at 4:32pm:
Hello! Haven’t been here in a long time. I’m sorry but I don’t have the time I wanted to be here talking about slings. This post. Is from a long time ago , and maybe you will like seen our last video filmed from a german company.
Alex or David I don’t know if here is the place fir post it, ig not say it to me and put it where it has to be
https://youtu.be/y2qfjvwDM3A

Would be great if you could be here more often

IP Logged

Dieter Beller
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #170 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 4:44am

Hello. Does somebody know, why some former slingers (for exempale the balears) wrapped rsp bolster theire left arm?

see this pic: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=XrwQOE4Z&id=000A2E335690B5...

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #171 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 7:10am

Dieter Beller wrote on Feb 13th, 2024 at 4:44am:
Does somebody know, why some former slingers (for exempale the balears) wrapped rsp bolster theire left arm?

probably as a shield. a last moment "I can't avoid the shot" sacrifice of the left arm over vitals or legs.

slingers would be more dispersed and they'd probably prefer avoiding shots instead of using a shield all the time.
hanging leather or thick cloth would be a good way to stop some incoming shots.

I think I've seen shields with thick ropes hanging on the lower end to protect the legs from slingstones. probably from pacific islands but I dont remember any source.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #172 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 8:09am

Hello. Does somebody know, why some former slingers (for exempale the balears) wrapped rsp bolster theire left arm?

see this pic: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=XrwQOE4Z&id=000A2E335690B5...

Ask the artist ?

😁👍

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #173 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 8:27am

Sarosh wrote on Feb 13th, 2024 at 7:10am:
Does somebody know, why some former slingers (for exempale the balears) wrapped rsp bolster theire left arm?

probably as a shield. a last moment "I can't avoid the shot" sacrifice of the left arm over vitals or legs.

slingers would be more dispersed and they'd probably prefer avoiding shots instead of using a shield all the time.
hanging leather or thick cloth would be a good way to stop some incoming shots.

I think I've seen shields with thick ropes hanging on the lower end to protect the legs from slingstones. probably from pacific islands but I dont remember any source.

Interesting thoughts ....
Clearly battle tactics vary by culture and experience but the reconstruction at Burnswark shows the romans came in and used uphill sling barrage from behind purpose built earth mounds.

Joe MM in his videos did some tests of shield versus sling (what fun 😁) but in his video of Lecuyer (greek ) style slinging he "wore" a towel over his left arm to mimic the picture.
He speculated over use but I'm not aware of any firm conclusions.

Perhaps current sling users/researchers in places like India,Tibet and Guam may have strong views but I think it would take a doctoral dissertation or research fellowship to chase that one up.

We may have to wait  for further written evidence to be recovered to find out why slingers in different arenas covered their non dominant arm.

Discuss.
👍
😁

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #174 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 8:05pm

Wrapping the arm serves as protection. A tightly wrapped skin with leather. You can also wrap a board. We tried that. You can block well with it. I prefer a shield myself.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #175 - Feb 15th, 2024 at 6:16am

xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Feb 13th, 2024 at 8:09am:
Ask the artist ?

Fully agree.
The drawing is contemporary. Without explanation, it has no historical value. The attached photo is a medieval miniature showing the use of the sling in medieval agriculture. It has historical value.
Jaegoor wrote on Feb 13th, 2024 at 8:05pm:
Wrapping the arm serves as protection. A tightly wrapped skin with leather. You can also wrap a board. We tried that. You can block well with it. I prefer a shield myself.

Yes, it's necessary to test but what does that protect from ? Club, sword, arrow, slingball or dog bite ?

Your question is interesting. Check the source first and then we can test different scenarios.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2024 at 11:24pm by joe_meadmaker »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #176 - Feb 15th, 2024 at 11:44pm

I agree with the consensus that it's for protection.  But I think a small shield would work better.  Even in a situation where an incoming attack could be seen enough in advance to block with that padding (or whatever), I think it could be dodged.  Although that obviously depends on the projectile and speed it's moving.

The image has a caption that it was done by a guy named Iñaki Diéguez.  I googled his name and he has a website.  I sent him a message asking if he has any more information, or a reference for this type of protection.

A couple other thoughts.  Maybe it's padding for a shield that isn't in the picture.  Or maybe it's a spare tunic.  Grin
I also had a thought that it could also be used for carrying supplies or equipment of some kind, but carrying anything on the forearm would be very inefficient.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #177 - Feb 17th, 2024 at 12:33pm

Sarosh wrote on Feb 13th, 2024 at 7:10am:
probably as a shield

Jaegoor wrote on Feb 13th, 2024 at 8:05pm:

joe_meadmaker wrote on Feb 15th, 2024 at 11:44pm:
I agree with the consensus that it's for protection.

I remember coming across a video that noted the use of a cloak wrapped around the arm for an emergency shield in some roman battle. Sadly I can't seem to find it though.

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)