Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does anyone have any good pouch designs? (Read 10644 times)
Nickolas McGuire
Novicius

...armed with only a staff
and sling...

Saltsburg, Pennsylvania
Does anyone have any good pouch designs?
Apr 5th, 2008 at 1:45pm

Does anyone have any good dimensions for a good leather sling pouch?

~Justitia et fortitudo invincible sunt~  (Justice and courage are invincible.)
Salockin16  
IP Logged

joshskijam

Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati!

NY
Re: Does anyone have any good pouch designs?
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 6:11pm

There is one already on the main site.

josh_skijam84 joshskijam  
IP Logged

Ezra Smack
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 12:26am

Do a search for the six hole sling pouch on this forum. Also, I made a pouch from an American football helmet chin strap. It works as well as anything.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 5:52pm

5 - 6 inches by three. I use various designs, just have a look at the pics of slings thread up top. :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 2:14am

Any design that will cup a tennis ball during win-up is a good design. What it looks like is not too important.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 4:38pm

I agree with C_A demesions
here is a design I like

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

neogeo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Washington State, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 5:31pm

Just a suggestion:

Use duct tape to test new designs. 2-4 layers of tape with sticky sides together is a cheap easy way to test pouch shape and size. I make all my pouches out of duct tape just cause I like it and it is cheaper than cutting leather and deciding you don’t like it.

neogeo

With a bacon and egg breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 3:14pm

Lobo's pouch design is the one I have on my favorite sling.  Make it from some fairly stiff leather (I used a piece of a belt, about 2 millimetres thick).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 11:29am

save this and print it out at 300 dpi and it'll give you a six hole sling pouch at about 5 inches by 3.
Cut round the green outline and cut out the triangles. Then pritt stick it to a bit of leather (pm me for leather if you don't have any :-) and cut out. You can peel the template off and use it again. I used one for the last three pouches I made - cut them all out one after the other and the template lasted okay.
Just don't use too large a hole punch on the tabs :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Ben Gillham
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 11:34am

hello, anyone there?

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 3:10pm

Welcome Ben.Yes,we are all "here".Try any pouch design you like.Check out the six hole.Many good designs to choose from.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 3:06am

Here is a pattern for the pouch on my second-favorite sling.  The dimensions are in inches.  The pouch was sized for tennis balls, but it works well with golf balls as well.

SlingPouch.png (591 KB | )
SlingPouch.png

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 3:08am

... And here is a photo of the finished pouch.

SlingPouch1.jpg (12 KB | )
SlingPouch1.jpg

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #13 - May 21st, 2008 at 3:47pm

Hmmm .... maybe I should say, "formerly second-favorite sling."  I made a new sling last weekend, with Curious_Aardvark's six-hole pouch (see reply #8 above).  I printed the pattern as instructed (or as near as I could manage) and laid it over some leather and cut it out; the resulting patch of leather measured 27/8 x 41/2 inches overall.  Tied to its cords, the resulting pouch is nicely cupped, and holds golf balls, tennis balls and stones quite securely.

I found one additional benefit: I can load the sling by letting it hang from my hand, and dropping a golf ball into the pouch.  Tennis balls are too large and must land precisely to stay in the pouch, and rocks are too heavy and tend to overturn the pouch when they hit.  But a golf ball is just right.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #14 - May 21st, 2008 at 7:36pm

The design Curious Aardvark posted works very well. I've used something similar with good results, except that in denim they tend to wear out when throwing things heavier than tennis balls. It's sometimes referred to as an L&B pouch, though who L and B are or if they are the originators is unknown.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick)