Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Making giant pill roller - finished project (Read 20791 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Making giant pill roller - finished project
Reply #30 - Apr 16th, 2009 at 12:08pm

no not even close - I presume you're talking about the crocodile.
It's way simpler than that Smiley

Project Crocodile
You take double walled pin pong ball halves (cut one in half and press smaller half inside larger - it works) These are the teeth.
Attach say six to a piece of wood and repeat. Two jaws.
Attach each jaw to a piece of wood and then fix the two arms together so that the jaws open and close like a pair of scissors.
Also make sure you align the jaws so that the ping pong ball halves meet exactly.

Then all you need is a bucket of cement and a sheet of plastic.
Scoop up cement and close jaws to mould ping pong ball size cement balls. Tap jaws to loosen balls and turn out onto plastic sheet to dry.
Repeat till you run out of cement.

Now obviously there are a number of prctical considerations.
Compression. At least one set of of teeth will need to have holes drilled in to allow compression of the cement into speheres.
Also it might be necessary to spray the teeth with wd40 prior to the bite.

Minor things and easily sorted.
Can't see any reason why it won't work. Just haven't got round to putting it together yet Smiley
Got lots of teeth lol
Even got a jig for marking the exact centre of a half ping pong ball for the nail in point for attaching to the jaws.
Just not built it yet Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #31 - Apr 16th, 2009 at 2:18pm

Well get on with it then!  Roll Eyes

How heavy is the final product?

IP Logged

castanon93
Descens

IN BELLU PRIMUM

Reply #32 - Apr 16th, 2009 at 3:21pm

i think i get it, nice idea Smiley

If there is any Evil in this world, it lurks on the hearts of Mankind-
castanon93  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #33 - Apr 16th, 2009 at 4:17pm

i still like my paper ammo better  Wink

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 3:10pm

bump for anyone who's joined since 2009 Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #35 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 4:18pm

Nice tutorial,that was here for so long,and i haven't even seen it.I'm planning to do a similar tool but it would roll bipointed clay ammo instead of cement balls.Have you succeded with the "pill roller"?

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #36 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 4:44pm

I have some cement that I'm going to make projectiles from soon, but I think I going to use a melon baller to scoop out the spheres. I think it would be perfect for sling ammo production until the croc jaw is perfected. I also have an idea for a glans extruder with an irising nozzle to make biconicals, but no time to make it.

Edited:
Do you think this would make a good starting point for project crocodile? http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-Meatballer-1-5/dp/B001UFWAG6

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 2:37pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 4:44pm:
I have some cement that I'm going to make projectiles from soon, but I think I going to use a melon baller to scoop out the spheres. I think it would be perfect for sling ammo production until the croc jaw is perfected. I also have an idea for a glans extruder with an irising nozzle to make biconicals, but no time to make it.

Edited:
Do you think this would make a good starting point for project crocodile? http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-Meatballer-1-5/dp/B001UFWAG6

Ice cream scoop is my preferred method. Melon baller should work good as well.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #38 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 12:25pm

just a quick addition.

I've changed my initial conclusion that 40mm is too big. Actually for target shooting the extra size and weight are perfect.

The BPR is still under one of my workbenches.

The ammo is probably exactly what we need for the hill fort project, so the BPR might be getting it's second usage fairly soon. I'm going to take a couple of the concrete balls with me tonight and see how they fly.

I figure next time use a slightly stiffer cement mix with some pva added in and see how we go.    

Morphy:  sorry it's take me so long to answer you lol

That's basically the same thing as project crocodile - I was just thinking make 6 at a time rather than one Smiley

The other thing you could use would be a portioner (no I had no idea what that was either) or an Icecream scoop as I call it Smiley

They'd be quick and easy to use, but you'd need a pretty stiff cement to get anything resembling a sphere.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #39 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 4:25pm

SO ,did anyone use a meatballer for clay,or cement? does it work?a bit oil and mass production?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #40 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 6:20pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 28th, 2012 at 12:25pm:
just a quick addition.

I've changed my initial conclusion that 40mm is too big. Actually for target shooting the extra size and weight are perfect.

The BPR is still under one of my workbenches.

The ammo is probably exactly what we need for the hill fort project, so the BPR might be getting it's second usage fairly soon. I'm going to take a couple of the concrete balls with me tonight and see how they fly.

I figure next time use a slightly stiffer cement mix with some pva added in and see how we go.    

Morphy:  sorry it's take me so long to answer you lol

That's basically the same thing as project crocodile - I was just thinking make 6 at a time rather than one Smiley

The other thing you could use would be a portioner (no I had no idea what that was either) or an Icecream scoop as I call it Smiley

They'd be quick and easy to use, but you'd need a pretty stiff cement to get anything resembling a sphere.

Very nice...  Not sure how I missed this post when you posted in Aug.  I've spent the last couple days trying to work out a simple way of making something like this meat baller.  Apparently, someone already beat me to it.  This will give a slinger exact weight ammo every time. 

And I am currently working on experimenting with cement additives to get a stronger product and better consistency for making sling ammo.

Good find C_A.  Cheesy

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #41 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 10:44pm

Hmm............ i will just stick with my stones Grin......
and maybe some paper wads. also you could just buy about 200 eggs Wink

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #42 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 1:13am

jlasud wrote on Dec 7th, 2012 at 4:25pm:
SO ,did anyone use a meatballer for clay,or cement? does it work?a bit oil and mass production?

I've tried icecream scoops, melon ballers, meatball makers and they were all more trouble than they were worth when making shot out of clay. I'd like to play around with it a little more but I am still faster at making them by hand. I have materials for a pill rolling tool but it's still a couple projects behind in the project que.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #43 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 8:28am

With the method i've presented with a photo also, the "cake cutter" i'm doing 50 uniform cement shots in 2 hours.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #44 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 2:18pm

I've been using jlasud's cookie cutter method when cutting my clay into uniformally weighted pucks before forming by hand into biconical kinl fired stones.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris)