Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
arrow whip? (Read 4855 times)
Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
arrow whip?
Mar 28th, 2008 at 3:36am

I just saw arrow whips in a comic. Would they really work effectively? I searched for them, but only found a website which sold it as toys.

http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/OQ/OQ13/DisplayOQ13.html?page=2

http://www.spacetoys.com/proddetail.php?prod=CLT46

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: arrow whip?
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 9:33am

I've seen this to. There is a how to in the old American Boys handy book, by Daniel Beard. ( The original dangerous book for boys. It's a wonder any of them survived)
  Apparently it is quite effective at short range. He recommended it for small game.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 3:08pm

but its one of the best books ever invented for survival.....if you followed it, and survived....then you're doing well...

that said, I've been trying to get my hands on a copy...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 4:45pm

ahh so it's sort of like the spears I used to throw as a kid using a piece of cord. Only you use a stick to hold the string and a much smaller spear.
different, interesting :-)

Sort of like a flexible atlatl.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 8:58pm

Also related is the Swiss Arrow (or sometimes Welsh arrow, still practiced there):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_arrow

Skilled throwers can achieve amazing distances.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 9:22am

yep that's what i used to throw as a kid :-)

But my dad used to make them from a small sapling instead of a bamboo cane.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slinger87
Funditor

I bet I can throw a rock
farther then you can!

MI
Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 11:15am

slingbadger wrote on Mar 28th, 2008 at 9:33am:
I've seen this to. There is a how to in the old American Boys handy book, by Daniel Beard. ( The original dangerous book for boys. It's a wonder any of them survived)
 Apparently it is quite effective at short range. He recommended it for small game.

yea it survived my best freind has one. by the way i think its called a whip bow and i was just about to ask how to make them because when i tried it wouldent work

when in dought, sling a rock a his head, if you miss, well, good luck!
T_skater_punk_16@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 11:07am

You need to keep tension on the line as soon as you lock it round the shaft. It's really only the tension that hols the cord on that's why once the arrow/spear reached the end of the cord it is released as the tension is also released. maybe that's what you were doing wrong ?

IP Logged

kellymcdman
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

minnesota
Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 10:20pm

sounds really interesting. someone make one and post pics please..

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 10:45pm

The American Boy's Handy Book is actually pretty handy. It has lots of fun projects, especially novel weaponry.

Just don't kill yourself with it.  Smiley

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

slinger87
Funditor

I bet I can throw a rock
farther then you can!

MI
Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 8:49am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1206689774/0#7 date=1206889637]You need to keep tension on the line as soon as you lock it round the shaft. It's really only the tension that hols the cord on that's why once the arrow/spear reached the end of the cord it is released as the tension is also released. maybe that's what you were doing wrong ? [/quote]

yea i think that was it or my stick was to large

when in dought, sling a rock a his head, if you miss, well, good luck!
T_skater_punk_16@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 4:51pm

could be - I'll have to try it with the cord on a stick. Only ever used them with the cord held in hand. You hold the spear right at the top and lock the string just above the flight. And the throw is actually more with the string than throwing the spear itself. But they did used to go a fair distance :-) I vaguely recall I bodged one up last year for the dog to chase. Used a stick I found in the woods and my sling (well it's a long cord with a knot at one end :-) Worked - but would have been better with flights on the stick lol

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 1:43am

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)