Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hello from the UK (Read 1571 times)
ronan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

hello from the UK
Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:22pm

Hello everyone, first post to introduce myself from the UK.  Found this site a while ago and made my first sling from some scrap leather, tried it a couple of times in the garden, not much success but I'm keen to keep having a go. I will try to make a few slings from the instructions on here and see what happens !

Is there anywhere that you can buy some good slings from ?

Best,

Ronan

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: hello from the UK
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 9:08am

Ask Curious Aardvark.He makes beautiful slings,and lives in your neighborhood.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 9:25am

practical - they are practical slings lol
Certainly not items of beauty (what has he been drinking and where can I get me some lol). But yep jax is right - there are so few uk slingers around I'd happily send you a sling. Probably start you off with an aussie, which is the acknowleged general purpose sling to beat all general purpose slings.
Still got a couple left from my last bulk order :-)
They are hardwearing, waterproof and will hold and throw anything from a small stone up to a tennis ball - plus they're made from the australian postal services used conveyor belts so are also a good conversation piece :-)

Which bit of the uk are you in ?

Hell if you're anywhere in the midlands we can probably meet up for a slinging session :-)

Welcome to the forum anywhere.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ronan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 5:51pm

Hi curious aardvark,

Yep, Midlands, Coventry in fact !

Got a small Barber shop there.

That's a very kind offer of a sling.  As for meeting for a slinging session, I think it would be a matter of me watching you session !  Grin

Cheers,

Ronan

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 11:10pm

I'd certainly take up the offer if I was you. A bit of free coaching, certainly reduce your learning time. You could give him his annual haircut and introduce him to the mysteries of razor blades. Now there's what I'd call a real win-win situation.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 12:36pm

bi-annual haircut please, the days of the annual haircut went away with my college days (not a joke lol) Anyway it's not due for a couple of months yet lol
And call me sexist but I prefer having it cut by women ;-)

But coventry's only 40 mins away. So that's doable no problem.
Next question, if I set up a uk slingfest (really need to get this it's own thread) would you be interested in coming ?
I've got a couple of mates who are farmers - I'm sure I could borrow a field for a day or two :-)

I've near enough worked out how to knock up some cheap balearic targets - that and my homemade sausages and my shiny new chargriller outlaw bbq should do the trick [just have to work out how to get it into my car now] :-) (oh and another bulk order from the ever generous aussieslinger)

Right I'm off to start a new thread.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ronan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 3:37pm

Uk slingfest sounds good to me, as long as it would be held on a Sunday, and have a "total beginner not got a clue" section !

Haircut by women ! don't blame you.  Far nicer to look at than my lot.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)