Send Topic Print
Hi Everyone! (Read 1559 times)
RIGuy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Northeastern U.S.
Hi Everyone!
Mar 14th, 2008 at 9:16pm

I'm a short time lurker finally gone legit. I've managed to make three slings so far and can manage to get a few stones to go nearly where I want them to. The site has been very helpful. Thanks all!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Hi Everyone!
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 11:36pm

Welcome,

Tell us a bit about it ie. what type and how long is your sling? What style do you use? Is it Byzantine, Constantinoplian or the thoroughly modern Istanbullish. I favour the Istanbullish personally; plenty of bullish around here, I supply most of it.

Regards,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

RIGuy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Northeastern U.S.
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 12:24pm

My main sling is the twenty-step style from the Jeff Holt article. It's about 60" from finger loop to cracker. It's made of ugly orange mason's twine (only color at the hardware store that day) and an old tongue from a discarded pair of shoes. I'll post a pic when I can steal the camera from my wife.

As far as technique, I tend to favor the "helicopter fast and try not to kill anyone" technique with an "able to run away quickly if I hear anything break or scream" stance. Basically three times round the head and let-er rip.

I made another braided sling from the same nylon twine but I've yet to use it. The pocketed sling seems a bit more fun as it will hold stones.

IP Logged

Monkeywjcr

Beware of flying rocks.

Front Royal VA
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 1:46pm

RIGuy wrote on Mar 15th, 2008 at 12:24pm:
My main sling is the twenty-step style from the Jeff Holt article. It's about 60" from finger loop to cracker. It's made of ugly orange mason's twine (only color at the hardware store that day) and an old tongue from a discarded pair of shoes. I'll post a pic when I can steal the camera from my wife.

As far as technique, I tend to favor the "helicopter fast and try not to kill anyone" technique with an "able to run away quickly if I hear anything break or scream" stance. Basically three times round the head and let-er rip.

I made another braided sling from the same nylon twine but I've yet to use it. The pocketed sling seems a bit more fun as it will hold stones.

HAHAHAHA Very funny!!!

If it fits in my sling and won't break DUCK!!!!!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 2:52am

Yes, split pouches do work but you have to be careful loading them to make sure the stone is really secure before you start whizzing it around.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

RIGuy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Northeastern U.S.
Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 9:54am

Aussieslinger,
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go with some larger stones in the split pocket and see how I fare. I'm pretty sure I braided the "pocket" a bit on the large side. Tennis balls tend to fall out. Whoops.
With my style (which is really an overhand to sidearm following 2 or 3 revolutions round my head like Hondero in his "overhand" video clip) the tennis ball falls out when it comes time for the snap.
Cheers,
RIGuy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:14am

you could always try stitching a piece of lether into the split pouch or making some sort of netting lining for it.

But on the whole split pouches do seem to be ammo specific.

welcome to the forum :-)
I wasn't ignoring you in nthe chat yesterday - just wasn't checking back too regularly :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)