Send Topic Print
Mexican Sling (Read 11398 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Mexican Sling
Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 11:27am

Ethan, you could make a type of pitch from beeswax and pine sap. ( I know you have enough of that in Maine)
You could dip the cloth in that. It's very good for fires.
I think the reason Sterno did not work is that it's mostly alcohol, which has a low burning temp, plus can be put out with the slightest breeze

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 12:12pm

Ethan,

Did you heat the stones? If the stone is hot enough the incendiary materials should reignite if there is the right mix of volatiles in the pitch.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 1:02pm

yep I think you've not quite grasped the sequence of events that's supposed to work ethan.
You heat the rock till it's red hot. Then you wrap it in colth and soak that in the flammable substance or wrap it with presoaked cloth - I'd get hold of those heatproof kevlar gloves for this - they sell them in most cookware shops now.
It's not supposed to ignite untill you sling it - sounds like you are lighting it first.
Also if you read some of the earlier posts the missile might not ignite even then it might need further insulating to bring the heat of the rock back up - like while embedded in a flat roof.
If you were to sling it into a straw bale - that might work as a suitable substitute for a thatch roof.

If I can work out a way to do it safely I'll maybe give it a go in june. I could heat the rock in the bbq :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 6:44pm

Also,( I'm sure yuo heard this in Scouts, but I'll nag you anyway) make sure that the stones that you use areDRY. If you heat a stone that is moist in anyway, it will explode. I've had enough of this happen to me.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #19 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 11:17pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 26th, 2008 at 1:02pm:
yep I think you've not quite grasped the sequence of events that's supposed to work ethan.
You heat the rock till it's red hot.

Bit of a problem with this - I didn't have a fire. I can see about setting this up early next week... With a real fire, some dry stones, and probably burlap would be good? Obviously, I'll wear gloves and such. Badger, what's the procedure on the pitch stuff?

slingbadger wrote on Mar 26th, 2008 at 6:44pm:
Also,( I'm sure yuo heard this in Scouts, but I'll nag you anyway) make sure that the stones that you use areDRY. If you heat a stone that is moist in anyway, it will explode. I've had enough of this happen to me.

Heard?! Done!!  Wink

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)