Send Topic Print
Hi (Read 1734 times)
Asturian
Tiro

Sl¡ng¡n' RoCkS!!!!

Oaxaca, México
Hi
Mar 12th, 2008 at 7:49pm

hi my name is Manuel castañon Guerrero and I am from Oaxaca México. have you sometimes felt
like you are the only one who knows about slinging in your whole city?
well i feel the same. because even if Oaxaca is known ( or unknown, maybe this is the first time you hear about Oaxaca) as a rural city, practically a big town, and there are many shepherds,
nobody has seen (less know how to use) a sling. I know it is the same in many countries, but here,
where there are still some leftovers of the past discrimination against indigenous people,
a white boy slinging in a lonely street where the only people who pass are indigenous shepherds is seen as a joke to their ancestors. i have felt how people see you with a sling in hand and when you say the traditional "buenas tardes" you only get as a reply a "pshhhh" or sometimes no reply at all.
of course i have seen some sheperds that are kind and even seem interested but i dont see them a lot of times. and to add, i got enemistated with some "albañiles"(people who work on construction) that work just across the street because when I still hadn't shot a stone succesfully and therefore didn't know the range of my first sling i got lucky and made a perfect shot that flew through the air and almost hitted one of them on the head. know i dont like to travel near that building because inmediately i hear mumbling and the occassional "pinche niño de la honda".
And of course i cannot go sling to school. so in resume I feel this site is the only place available to me at this age where i can share my new passion and my ideas and thoughts about the sling.
i thank you for reading so far and I hope we could become good friends. Grin

DEXA!!!
Asturian  
IP Logged

brass

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Re: Hi
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:01pm

Hi Manuel! Welcome to the forum! We all wish you the very best in your pursuit of the slinging arts, and hope that you will stick around. I totally know what you mean about being the only one around with an interest in slinging. It is the same with me. But, you can trust that here, no one will judge you based on your slinging ability or anything else. I happen to stink at it right now. Skill comes with time and practice, and you can only get better. So with that, I welcome you to the slinging.org forum where you can always find a kindred spirit.  Grin

IP Logged

Asturian
Tiro

Sl¡ng¡n' RoCkS!!!!

Oaxaca, México
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:53pm

thank you for the welcome, you are right, i have been improving a lot thanks to this site and as far as i have seen this just a perfect site, yet i have seen no spammers, alot of people of different nations and willing to help newbies (like me  Grin) i think that if this site continues growing maybe someday the slinging will be considered again an international sport and maybe we will live to see it at the olympic games and if we get very lucky maybe participate in them Cheesy.
thank you very much and good luck at your slinging

DEXA!!!
Asturian  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:34pm

Hola Manuel! Welcome to the Forum. Do not feel discouraged. The sling has a long history in your country. Stay with it and I am sure you will discover people with the same interest.  Just be careful where you throw. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 6:41am

Asturian wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:53pm:
thank you for the welcome, you are right, i have been improving a lot thanks to this site and as far as i have seen this just a perfect site, yet i have seen no spammers, alot of people of different nations and willing to help newbies (like me  Grin) i think that if this site continues growing maybe someday the slinging will be considered again an international sport and maybe we will live to see it at the olympic games and if we get very lucky maybe participate in them Cheesy.
thank you very much and good luck at your slinging

Well Asturian, at least we will have lots of time to practise for the olympic games   Wink

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 9:53am

Manuel, welcome to the forum.

It was great to read the story of your experiences with slinging. You live in the kind of place few of us here have experienced, but you probably have the closest connexion to traditional slingers of anyone here. I hope that you stay around here, so that we can learn from your experiences.

IP Logged

Asturian
Tiro

Sl¡ng¡n' RoCkS!!!!

Oaxaca, México
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 6:19pm

Thank you, I will try to find a shepherd that knows or remembers the use of the Mexican Sling
my father told me stories of when he visited my grandfather's hacienda and that at that time he
ocassionally saw shepherds using slings and that they were extremely accurate.
He also remember that once he and his brothers saw the material used to do it. apparently it was maguey fiber. Ill try and if I find information i will make an article on how to do the traditional Mexican Sling. Cheesy

DEXA!!!
Asturian  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)