Blow guns (Read 3194 times)
Maximillion
Tiro

Having fun with my new
sling!

Kankakee Illinois
Blow guns
Mar 3rd, 2008 at 2:03pm

Is anyone a blowgun enthusiast, because i have questions for them.  How do you make an effective dart that goes farther than 20 ft. All mine are really wimpy, and its not my air supply I am a tuba player!!

IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Re: Blow guns
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 4:59pm

Well, I use a homebrew 50 caliber, and while I'm nto an expert, I go with plain paper and bamboo or wire darts.

I take the bamboo (or wire) about 8inches long (the wire) or 15 for the bamboo, wrap one end of it with a small bit of scotch tape, make the cone, tape it into place, then cut to fit the blowpipe....

part of it might not be lungpower, but it'd be breath release, what you want is a full lung inhale, then hold your tongue judt behind your teeth, like your'e tonguing, then since youre' a tuba player, you'll recognize this. BLATTT that breath out like youre' trying to make the band director jump out of his skin.

it should flex your chest in roughly the same manner as a hard sneeze

another thing, and Iv'e almost blown my own self up doing this...make sure the dart slides freely, but not TOO freely. if it's too loose, then all the lungpower in the world won't move it, because youv'e too much air leakage...too snugly, and it'll weld itself to the inside of the pipe with pressure, and youre' fighting friction. A good fit would be where your dart will only just slide down the tube if you dip the business end of it.

IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 5:16pm

I am a clarinet player, and I thank all you big dudes with the guts enough to play that giant instimunt and keep the base tune!

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 5:34pm

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 6:44pm

Youtube it!  Wink

seriously though, I have been looking for good blowgun darts for years, and found a great recipe for them in 10 minutes on you tube. It uses newspaper and a nail....

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 10:20pm

if you're having trouble getting your cones to work, get a small piece of cork, stick it to dart, and shave it to barrel size, i havent yet tried this, but heard it works very well.
BTW, I'm a drummer if ya couldn't tell by the name. hehe, Bass drum 5, biggest marching instrument on the field

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 11:28pm

I have been a blowgun aficionado for a number of years. I use a traditional Cherokee style bamboo blowgun with bamboo darts fletched with thistle down. The darts are light enough and strong enough to penetrate an average telephone book at 75feet.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 8:18pm

I just pulled out my blowgun this weekend. It's PVC, and the darts are duct tape and coat hanger wire. My cousin, who was visiting, made his from copper pipe - expensive, but much better.
Needless to say, that's on my list.

As for distance... We lost a few in a snowbank about 50 feet away.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 11:29pm

Extruded aluminium tubing is very good and cheaper than copper.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)