Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Hello from New Zealand! (Read 9845 times)
JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Re: Hello from New Zealand!
Reply #30 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 10:45pm

wouldnt the better butter ruin the bitter batter?

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Reply #31 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 4:26am

well, a bit of better butter'd make the bitter batter less bitter, but if you want bitter batter then you wouldn't use the better butter. you'd use bitter butter and add it to better batter to make a bitter butter batter, but you don't have to worry about trying to buy bitter butter because you can make bitter butter by badly burning better butter.

if you want bitter butter you can also add a bit of bitter batter to the better butter and it'll make the better butter bitter if you don't feel like buying better butter to burn, but if you have bitter batter and add just a bit of better butter, it should make the bitter batter better, but if you use too much better butter you've turned the better butter bitter by adding bitter batter to the better butter, rather than better butter to the bitter batter.

but if you balance the bitter batter and better butter, you have a better bitter butter batter, which is best for most things that you would use bitter batter and better butter for, as well as most things you'd use better batter and bitter butter for.....so blah.

bigkahuna, see what you started?

IP Logged

Mike Habeeb
Descens

A verbis ad verbera

Hanover, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #32 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 10:06am

Shocked Shocked Shocked

My head hurts...

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.&&&&-Chuck Palahniuk-
midgetkid85  
IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #33 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 10:21am

but if you want bitter batter then you would never ad the better butter unless you wanted bitter butter which would be ruining the better butter and making it bitter butter.

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Reply #34 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 3:26pm

right, you'd want to use bitter butter to make bitter batter, but I like better batter, so I'll use better butter.

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #35 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 4:18pm

Bit of a bad idea - better butter is better for budding batterers who want better batter.

(Actually, it's a perfectly good idea - but dyslexic confusion is a bit bad.)

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Reply #36 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 5:30pm

(falls over laughing)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #37 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 7:30am

rotfl -
got my tongue in a twist just reading it.

Actually no I've never sampled the delights of traditional scottich cuisine (well haggis obviously)
maybe next time I'm north of the wall I'll give it go :-)

Actually those mars bar icecreams you get would be pretty good deepfried I reckon :-)

We're sort of spoiled round here as we have the best fish and chip shop in england (and that's official) about half a mile away. So if we ever fancy fish and chips that's where we go.
[url]http://www.seafish.org/plate/fishandchips.asp?p=gf184[/url]

Andy's is my local :-) And you'll notice the only f&c shop in britain that's beat it is in scotland - so if you're in england or wales Andy's is best :-)

For those who don't realise just how amazing an achievement that really is I would say that britain has approximately one fish and chip shop for every 2 pubs and more pubs than canada has donut shops or america has burger joints. In a mile radius of me I can think of six F&C shops. And that's not counting the ones I don't know about and the moble chip vans.

To be the best in england and wales is pretty amazing.

So if you're planning on coming to england - swing by the midlands (I would also point out that church gresley is darn near the exact centre of the country) and I'll treat you to fish and chips from heaven :-)
My treat :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Reply #38 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 6:53am

ohhh...fish...chips.....where's the vinegar?

(starts thinking about how i can make a GOOD batter from nonwheat flour)

you've made me very hungry, C_A, and I have no fish in the house.....if I'm in the area I'll take you up on that, C_A, and to hell with the way i feel the next day...for the best in England, one can suffer a bit.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #39 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 7:03am

Umm, I hesitate to mention this but in the interests of decent culinary practice it really ought to be pointed out that Batter does not actually contain butter.
milk, flour, eggs. Sometimes beer - but never butter.

I feel like such a killjoy now ;-(

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Reply #40 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 11:00am

ahhh..but we can disagree here C_A....

'batter' can and sometimes does contain butter, especially dessert batters, as it's a term for the uncooked dough of cookies(biscuits) and cakes (especially of a runny or viscous or pourable consistency) as well as a bready coating for things. (which technically, the coating for things is breading, which you can bread with a batter, but not all batter is breading)

name me one good scottish shortbread made without butter? chocolate chips ones? butter's got a sharp melting point, so it's useful to make the dough 'spread' when cooking, so that you wind up with a thinner product.

however for fish batter....no....not usually.
that would be a travesty, as in the hot oil, the butter'd melt out, and the batter'd lose all structural integrity.

and you poke us about sweeping historical statements...lol
I'm a food geek, so I'm the same way about sweeping culinary statements...lol

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #41 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 11:04am

well if you're going to go for an all encompassing generic 'batter'. Then yep butter could be a possibility.
If you're going to go for the more reasonable :- batter as a coating for something which is then fried - then nope no butter. :-)

IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Reply #42 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 11:06am

I edited for clarification...(points up) pardon the sloppy mess, but I've just woken, and have had no coffee yet.
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2008 at 9:35pm by Gronk »  

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #43 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 11:44pm

Oh my!!!!!! Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Reply #44 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 2:54am

As I said bigkahuna...look what you started...lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)