Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Hello from New Zealand! (Read 9839 times)
elephas17
Tiro

Slinging is freakin' sweet.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Hello from New Zealand!
Feb 21st, 2008 at 12:14am

Hi everyone, I figure I should probably do a proper introduction. My name is Simon and I live in Nelson, New Zealand. I'm a graduate student in Philosophy, and my secondary academic interests are evolutionary psychology and ancient Greek language.

I first became interested in slinging a few years ago when I was studying greek history. It amazed me how such a simple weapon could prove so effective. I never got around to making one until now, since I've finally moved to the edge of the city where there are plenty of great slinging spots nearby. I've been slinging for a few weeks now and I love it more every day.

Thanks guys,

Simon

"Slinging is man's best medicine". - Hippocrates of Cos

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Hello from New Zealand!
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 6:53am

Greetings from the other side of the Tasman!!!

How great to see another slinger from New Zealand. We antipodeans seem to be very few in number. Loved your video and look forward to seeing more.

Couldn't interest you in an Aussiesling could I? Haven't sent one to NZ yet. (See Trading Post board for details.)

Regards,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 11:03am

So, being from the Southern Hemisphere, do you slings circle in the opposite direction there? ( OO, I'm going to Hell for that one.)

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 1:10am

There was some discussion on the Coriolis effect and slinging approximately a year ago where I pointed out that left handed slingers have a natural advantage in the Southern Hemisphere. However both elephas17 and I are natural right handers so we just have to make do.

The little known Patagonian contra-rotational style was specifically developed, by native tribes in South America, to overcome this difficulty but there are hardly any surviving exponents of this style left now as the technique involves whirling the sling with the left hand and discharging between the legs. It was requested at the time that I video myself performing the cast which I did but it was never posted as  my daughter inadvertantly erased the clip before I was discharged from hospital. I have considered re-filming but as yet haven't been able to gather the necessary resources as when I try to explain why I need an ambulance on standby I am greeted with incredulity and ill-disguised mirth. I find this attitude deeply disturbing in the current climate of recociliation and renewed interest in ethnographic matters. I would have expected at least token appreciation of my efforts considering the pain and danger to which I expose myself in the interests of preservation of the peculiar skills of endangered cultures.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 2:23am

Wear a kilt. It will make the application of ice much quicker and easier.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2008 at 3:47am by bigkahuna »  

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 3:29am

I would like to hope this advice is well intended but the smileys at the end make me suspicious that it is just another example of the sort of sarcasm I have to contend with in this noble endeavour.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 3:47am

I'm hurt. Cry

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 6:14am

A mere fraction of the pain I endure.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 6:43am

True, but it is for a worthy cause.

John Walker  
IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 10:01am

I guess the Coriolis effect explains why my sling build in Canada didn't work as well when I was in NZ.  Also have there been many complaints about aussiesllings spinning the wrong way in the Northern Hemisphere?

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 4:42pm

Dear Mr Monster,

You may have noticed that my pouches are constructed such that the straps form a left handed helix. This is no accident and specifically engineered to counteract the Coriolis effect as obseved in the Northern Hemisphere. As I have previously noted the majority of my slings are in use there. To date there have been no specific complaints.

Dear Mr Kahuna,

I feel I may have been somewhat precipitous in my judgements of your motives in advising the wearing of a kilt whilst performing the Patagonian contra-rotational. I offer my apologies and realize that your inferred amusement was merely at the incongruity of an Australian of Polish decent, with no Scottish ancestry of any kind, wearing the tartan.

However I wish to point out that there may be some difficulties which would counteract the benefits of being readily able to apply ice to the injured parts. As you are aware, a kilt dangles down both in front and behind and offers no restraint to those parts which are already dangling down within its confines. All of these dangly bits will impede the required throwing action. What is needed is some method of altering the angle of the dangle. On the other hand the increased cold air flow will inevitably cause some contraction of the danglers which may be of benefit especially in already cold weather.

I thank you for your continued interest.

Regards,

Aussieslinger
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2008 at 6:11pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 5:19pm

Huh

Aussieslinger, you are a linguist supreme. You could say that in front of anyone and impress them, despite the awkward choice of subject.

Do you make two different pouches, and ship according to hemispheric location?

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 6:01pm

Ethan wrote on Feb 24th, 2008 at 5:19pm:
Huh

Aussieslinger, you are a linguist supreme. You could say that in front of anyone and impress them, despite the awkward choice of subject.

Do you make two different pouches, and ship according to hemispheric location?

Ethan my friend,

The preceding posts are all "bovine excrement" which is another way to say a complete load of bullshit. Pouches are all made the same way and I very much doubt anyone could tell any difference whichever way they were made and whichever side of the equator they happen to be standing on.

Regards,

Aussieslinger

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 8:47pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 24th, 2008 at 4:42pm:
Dear Mr Monster,

You may have noticed that my pouches are constructed such that the straps form a left handed helix. This is no accident and specifically engineered to counteract the Coriolis effect as obseved in the Northern Hemisphere. As I have previously noted the majority of my slings are in use there. To date there have been no specific complaints.

Dear Mr Kahuna,

I feel I may have been somewhat precipitous in my judgements of your motives in advising the wearing of a kilt whilst performing the Patagonian contra-rotational. I offer my apologies and realize that your inferred amusement was merely at the incongruity of an Australian of Polish decent, with no Scottish ancestry of any kind, wearing the tartan.

However I wish to point out that there may be some difficulties which would counteract the benefits of being readily able to apply ice to the injured parts. As you are aware, a kilt dangles down both in front and behind and offers no restraint to those parts which are already dangling down within its confines. All of these dangly bits will impede the required throwing action. What is needed is some method of altering the angle of the dangle. On the other hand the increased cold air flow will inevitably cause some contraction of the danglers which may be of benefit especially in already cold weather.

I thank you for your continued interest.

Regards,

Aussieslinger

Soooooo you're a South Pole???? Huh

John Walker  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 1:02am

Down there a kilt would be totally ineffective and my own southpole would have contracted into non existence.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)