Knife Making (Read 5664 times)
Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Knife Making
Feb 13th, 2008 at 10:07pm

OK, so I think I'm going to fashion myself a knife. More specifically, a knife handle. I think I'm going to order myself a Mora blade - KB 2A3.

I've got a few options - I want to make a really cool handle. I've been offered a deer leg bone, which I haven't seen yet, but if nice it'd probably be a cool material. I also have some antler, which is very traditional and cool... I have a piece that fits my hand very well. I'll probably engrave it a bit... I'm also considering a nice piece of wood. Anyone have any suggestions? Something with a nice pattern, maybe multiple colors...

I'm also looking for tips and troubleshooting. Any problems you've encountered, that you could warn me against? Thanks.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Re: Knife Making
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 10:53pm

most bones are quite hollow, i had a hell of a time trying to clean the marrow out a sheep bone, and it was quite hollow.

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 12:42am

Most bone is quite brittle and cracks easily. I would go with the antler.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 7:40am

if you end up using a material that you have to drill for the tang of the blade (ie wood) make sure you drill the hole straight! 

tape the blade before you start working, it is very important.  i have a nice scar to go with the memory of the fear that i had cut off my finger from one time i didn't tape the blade.  tape will also keep it clean and shiny while you are working on it.

if you use a material that you don't press fit the tang into, i suggest using a really strong epoxy in addition to peening the tang.

i would suggest you go with the antler, it seems a big more forgiving and it also seems easier to care for.

http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-antlerhandleknife.html ; antler handle

http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-knives-1.html  wood handle instructions at the end

http://outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?article270 ; good info on wood handles

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 10:31am

Antler is a good material to work with. Although, just to be warned, it does stink.
  I've made quite a few knives from bone also, with good success. Of course, I've had the advantage of having a friend that's a blacksmith.
  If you want a great looking wood, go with curly or birds'eye maple. You can treat them to really bring out the grain. It can look neatly 3D.
Do you want a guard on the knife?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 7:04pm

Well, I've thrown the bone option to the dogs...  Cheesy

I'm going to be testing a few more antlers, to see if I get a nice fit for my hand. If I find one, I'll probably use it. If not, I'll look into wood. I was thinking about a guard... Something like this, except probably brass. If I use antler, I'm probably going to cut a section at the base of a prong, to get the natural guard shape.

Badger - Does antler dust smell anything like tooth dust?  Sad

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 8:13pm

Antler dust smells horrible!!!!  My dad cut the tip off of one to put an arrow rest on a traditional bow. EEEEWWWWW!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

son_of_bluegrass

Slinging Rocks!

kansas mostly
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 11:24pm

There are a number of knife making sites that will answer all your question, many with a search of the site.  Some have tutorial already in place.  Some that I like are
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/index.php
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/index.php
http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?

ron

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 2:19pm

I think that question got answered. Wear a breath mask when working it. Bone and horn are the same way.
Don't discount bone just yet. My best knock around knife is bone handled, and I've had it for years. It's just a matter of how it is used.
  Brass is great for guards. It is easy to work. Hobby or hardware stores should have it. Also scrap yards. Depending on the type of brass, it can be nearly as hard as iron.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 2:32pm

Well, I'm having a devil of a time just finding a seller for Mora blades.
I'm going to use antler. I've got a nice one, a drop I found a few years ago (3 points). If fits my hand nicely, and it looks really good.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 6:15pm

hey ethan, i havent bought from this guy, but he always gets glowing reviews and he has answered some questions of my mine in a very nice manner:

ragweedforge.com

look under blades and books in his index at the bottom of the page.

quite a nice selection.

leevalley.com also has a couple of mora blades, they have good service and reasonably quick shipping.

my hardware store has strips of brass up to something like one eighth of an inch or maybe a little thicker.  very heavy guage stuff.  your local place will probably have similar.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 8:11pm

Siguy, funny you should link me there. I just discovered ragweedforge.com earlier this afternoon, and emailed him about his blades. I also noticed he carries brass fittings and guards, which I'm considering.

For a minute, when I first went to his site, I thought is was slingbadger, seeing all the SCA, buckskin group and bladesmithing talk...

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 10:06am

The owner of ragweed forge is a personal friend of mine. He is honest to a fault. Jim (Ragnarr) is always ready to teach. He makes great tomahwks, and sells the handles for them also.
He has Mora knives

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 12:15pm

I figured you probably knew him. I've found his site quite interesting, and I'm looking forward to hearing back from him.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 12:13am

Dixie Gun Works use to sell Mora Blades. I haven't looked at their site in awhile though.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)