Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sjambok (Read 10423 times)
drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Sjambok
Jan 30th, 2008 at 9:28pm

Has anyone else messed around with this amazing weapon. I got a four foot long one for cheap from coldsteel. Granted, its made from plastic, but it is fairly indestructable. It is basically a semi rigid tapered whip. It takes very little force to transfer great force to the tip, and the first day i got it, i nonchalantly swung it at my bare foot, it left a 2 inch red line and stung quite a bit for about half an hour. A shorter one can be used easily in one hand or two, i dont know how easily a longer one can be used withone hand.
All-in-all, a good addition to any collection of training or self defense weapons, and a bargain for not more than 20$ US.
Lemme know if anyone else has played with these,
                         Drum_slinger.

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Sjambok
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 10:37am

Never used one - but the traditional african jambok is actually made from a stretched and dried Bulls Pizzle (that's willy to you) !
Yes, it really is :-)

When you see the african police laying into people with them they certainly look nasty (funnily enough the only thing that changed with the departing of apartheid is that now it's black sa police hitting people instead of white police - but they're still using the same jamboks.)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 9:09pm

http://www.donrearic.com/mightysjambok.html

I haven't yet played with one of these yet but I realy want too.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 9:21pm

C_A, you are a font of wonderful and applicable knowledge... I salute you, sir!  Cool

(In case the sarcasm wasn't clear, you are full of weird and somewhat freaky knowledge. The salute remains, how ever!)

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 10:41am

i was under the impression that the real sjamboks are made from hippo hide, which is very thick and sturdy.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 2:54pm

Most sjamboks were made from a strip of hippo, rhino or elephant hide.
I have the CS one, and I have to say: I was never into latigo y daga, whip doesn't fit me, but sjambok in right hand/dagger in left hand is combination so nasty it defies categorising. The Sjambok is light and fast enough to be moving constantly, unpredicably, painfully, going for face and everything else exposed from all angles, never too far for the target to be safe... The only defense is to either run away or rush it - good luck rushing against punyo and dagger! But it isn't a thing I would want to bring inside, as it needs some space to perform at it's best.
Interesting weapon, good tool for building coordination and fluid movement.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 7:28pm

It sounds somewhat like the effect you can get with a piece of 1/4" PVC pipe... Am I close?

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 5:08am

I think you are... never had a 1/4" pipe, but I magine it would be somewhat close to sjambok. Much lighter, though, thus more on the "whip" than "stick" side - it would probably only leave welts, while sjambok can actually cut flesh with powerful swings.
Not that I would like to be on the bad side of 1/4" pipe...

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 1:05pm

Well, PVC certainly does hurt. 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" all are pretty whippy, in long enough lengths.

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 6:27pm

Anything whippy hurts... that is not to say that things that aren't whippy do not hurt. Quite on the contrary! Grin

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 8:17am

according to the scrabble dictionary - both spellings are correct :-)
Jambok and sjambok. I prefer the former as it looks far less pretentious :-)

Can't remember where I saw the thing about them being made from a stretched dried bulls pizzle, but it seemed genuine at the time. And they are traditionally used for whips (even mentions t in the marquis de sade - but then it would ;-)
I've also found refererences to them being made from elephant and rhino hide. I guess they just don't kill enough bulls anymore ;-)

Anyway you look at it they are a fairly nasty crowd control device and a very peculiar choice for a personal weapon.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 12:45am

You can also get walking sticks and golf putters made from bulls pizzles. How come we're allowed to say pizzle ?? Huh  

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 4:56am

Grin

In the past most South-African subburban households would have had a sjambok for use on animals, sometimes kids and the odd intruder or two. They were very popular and you would sometimes find hawkers selling them on street corners and even house to house. Even charities (spelling) got into the manufacturing of them by recycling plastic shopping bags and heating the plastic to form a twisted multicolour sjambok. A very festive pain delivering tool indeed.

My best sjambok was about 1,5m long, taperred from the handle to about 10-15cm from the tip where the taper started slightly out again into a thicker point. I think it is still a my folks house.

These days when I go out for a stroll or such I carry a Big Bear hiking stick made from rattan. It is as thick as a broom stick, very light but extremely tough and has some whippyness to it. It is about 1.6m long.

Quote:
Posted by: curious_aardvark Posted on: Jan 31st, 2008, 5:37pm

When you see the african police laying into people with them they certainly look nasty (funnily enough the only thing that changed with the departing of apartheid is that now it's black sa police hitting people instead of white police - but they're still using the same jamboks.) 

Sheez bru, I thought I was the only one that noticed that.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 6:16am

lol you know what they say, 'individual politicians might change - but the government never goes anywhere'.

Shortly after mandela took power there was a protest outside the parliament building (or whatever it's called) by the zulus. They were unarmed (relatively - no guns just traditional tribal ornaments, lol) And mandala ordered his guards to fire on the crowd to break up the protest.
And I remember thinking, somewhat sadly: 'different people, same basic rules'.
I guess the jambok is such a familiar symbol of the sa police they just decided to hang on to them, 'just in case'.

IP Logged

Ishii
Tiro

New York State
Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 5:49pm

Smiley According to Dr. Stanley Peridowski---(Dr. of Interrogation) ...."The Manhattan yellow pages don't leave any marks......" Cool

Ishii

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris)