Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
need help choseing arrows (Read 1396 times)
theredneck33
Ex Member

need help choseing arrows
Jan 30th, 2008 at 7:57pm

wats happening fellow weapon adicts? i recently started shooting bows. (traditional of corce) untill now i just shot whatever arrows i could lay a hand on and have never realy been able to hit very well. i know that i need a certian weight and spine on an arrow, but i dont know how to find out what weight and spine would work for my hunting setup. i hunt deer and rabit with a bow. though i have more powerfull ones, i use my 35# pierson revurve for hunting. mostly because it loses fewer arrows when stump thumpin and the broad head will still be inside a deer as it bolts, cutting more and more as it runs. but my lodgic aside, what kind of arrows should i shoot?

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Re: need help choseing arrows
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 8:49pm

Always good to see a fellow traditional archer.    Do you intend to make your own arrows, or buy commercial items?    Finding the proper spine and general setup for best results is fairly complicated.    The easy way is to go to a pro archery shop and try arrows of different spine, weight, and so forth till you get close.   Most shops will have test arrows that you can use to dial things in.

Just slapping together shafts, feathers, and points without any plan will likely not give good results.   My first set of seven arrows were made from hardware-store 5/16" dowels.  Commercial field points, and goose-feather fletching.   Of the seven, I had ONE that shot consistently to point of aim.

There's a saying that making bows is fairly easy, but making arrows is hard.   They need to be as close as you can get to identical.   That means buying or making standard tools like spine testers and so forth.

I recommend two things:

1. buy yourself the set of 3 books, The Traditional Bowyer's Bible.    Or at least get 'em from the library and give them a thorough read-through.

2. Visit this site:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php

The Primitive Archer website.  The forum is lively, and has plenty of friendly and dedicated archers willing to help you out.

IP Logged

theredneck33
Ex Member

Re: need help choseing arrows
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 9:32pm

cool, thanx. i have read only the first boyers bible, but mostly the part about bows, not arrows. eventualy i want to make my own arrows, but for now ill go with store bought suplys. ill try that sight, and i just made a batch of dowel arrows and had close to the same results as you Cry but ill check out the sight. thank you, and any other help apreciated.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)