Send Topic Print
Andean Sling Braid (Read 28214 times)
_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Andean Sling Braid
Jan 16th, 2008 at 10:46pm

G'day slingers.

Being a Knothead / Slinger (or should that be the other way around?), I'm always looking for new ways to braid or knot something just for the sheer pleasure of doing so (slings are perfect for this).

so, after trawling the web I came across a knotty site, it wasn't in the links section of slinging.org and I don't remember seeing it posted on the forums here; but I'm sure it's definitely of interest to those of us who like to make their own slings, so I thought I'd post it. Enjoy.

Andean Up Braiding:  http://www.knotworkn.com/braid.html

looks a bit tricky but practice makes perfect, so I'll be keepin' busy for few evenings for sure.

K_F

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Re: Andean Sling Braid
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 1:22pm

Quote:
Andean Up Braiding:  http://www.knotworkn.com/braid.html

looks a bit tricky but practice makes perfect, so I'll be keepin' busy for few evenings for sure.

K_F

I think this was 'spotted' before, but the description was so baffling as to puzzle even those of us who were interested Cheesy.

It looks like there may be a little more description than there used to be on that page, but I needed to get the Cahlander book to figure out the method. Of course, that book is baffling enough for most of us - it seems to unduly complicate some aspects while glossing over some important techniques for the more complex braids.

so... did you figure it out from the web site Smiley ?

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 6:56pm

G'day dude.

unfortuantly, my evenings havn't been as free as I thought they would be  Cry. I have only made a small attempt at it but didn't get very far, I like the look of the braid so I just need more time and energy to devote to it and, fingers crossed, I'll be able to get it  Wink. Nothing ventured, Nothing gained!

also, dude I was thinking about obtaining a copy of sling braiding of the andes by Cahlander, it sounded like it would be worthwile,  would you reccomend it?

K_F

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 8:03pm

yo dude,

it took a little patience and some cussing, but I finally got what those convoluted instructions were saying. 

I was working it out with knitting yarn (grabbed whatever was closest) which is way to small for this technique, definitely need larger (2mm or higher) cordage for this technique to be worked comfortably.
I was only working 8 strands, but the 16 strand would (with practice and lots of it!) be feasable.

I might  try and get some pictures up, but don't hold your breath.

I'll see how I go.

K_F

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 11:51pm

G'day peeps,

got some pictures sorted. 8 strands only, I'm not ready to tackle 16 strands yet Grin.

photos not the best quality, but they show the braid well.

n.b I am a complete newb when it comes to complex braids such as this one, but I found if I take it one step at a time it's not to difficult. my biggest problem was following the puzzling instructions and keeping an even tension throughout the braid.

I ended up using a piece of cardboard with slits cut around the edges and a hole in the middle to hold and keep tension on my cords, I found it much easier this way than actually holding the braid. If anybody wants I can do a small write up of the technique/ process, that would be much easier to follow and less convoluted than those on the aforementioned website.

keep on slinging!

K_F

S7300218.JPG (55 KB | )
S7300218.JPG

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 11:53pm

and another one.

S7300222.JPG (67 KB | )
S7300222.JPG

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 9:13am

Quote:
G'day dude.

also, dude I was thinking about obtaining a copy of sling braiding of the andes by Cahlander, it sounded like it would be worthwile,  would you reccomend it?

K_F

The Cahlander book is pretty much the only one out there which details the technique
. It has a considerable amount of information. The bulk of the book is a catalog of braidings, which is good to see the possibilities, but there are also chapters on the background with a some pretty good color pictures of a number of slings and related items. As far as the basic technique, there is a good sequence of pictures showing the way the strands are held and moved. She is also good on the 'structure' of the intertwinings.

The great thing about the Andean technique is that the number of strands doesn't complicate the operations that much, it is very systematic. To be honest, I think 16-strand is no harder than 8, it just takes a little longer. I think that point is made in the Cahlander book somewhere.

I'd thoroughly recommend the book if you have any interest in the subject, it's just rather annoying in some ways - although probably different ways for different people Cheesy.

You might find it easier to start using braided cord for the strands, but once you get the feel for it ordinary knitting wool is quite straightforward.

Good pictures Smiley.
I tried to take some of the process a bit ago, but they didn't work out that well. Perhaps I'll have another go!

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 3:20am

and the saga continues...

cheers for the info wanderer, I'll try and get my hands on a copy, it would look good with all my other obscure knotting books. Cheesy

I had to see if wanderer was right about the knitting yarn... yep, it works well. made up some samples got and a picture to prove it; the photo speaks for itself.

wanderer - it would be great if you have another go with some photos  Smiley, shame the first batch didn't work out to well.

the samples:

the top braid is the andean up braiding. it's basically twining 2 strands together and then intertwining or braiding them together, definitely gonna do one with more strands and only 2 colours. because this one is small (8 strands) you only see the pattern beginning to emerge, it would be much more noticable if it were bigger.

the middle braid is a kumihimo braid called ( I think) 'kongo garumi'. the braid is solid very easy to make and feels very strong. I can feel a sling project starting soon with this one.

the bottom braid is the 'skip two' disk braid from 'willekes knotted ideas' - check the links section of this site.

K_F

S7300225.JPG (125 KB | )
S7300225.JPG

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 4:04am

yep. another one.

S7300230.JPG (89 KB | )
S7300230.JPG

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 9:05am

Nice pictures.

You've obviously been pretty busy, or you're very fast Grin.

As well as the Cahlander book there is a very good article by Zorn in a publication from the Textile Museum (its mentioned in the references on this site). I think that is worth having in addition to the Cahlander book. Zorn was one of the coauthors of the Sling Braiding book. Its only one article, but I think it is a good one! You can get them both from

http://www.textilemuseumshop.com/index.php

I'll have to figure out your first braid - since it's only(!) got 8 strands it looks strange to me. The spiralled kumihomo braid is I think equivalent to the simplest of the Andean Braids  Grin.

Since I'm pleased to see Willeke is about, she may be following this thread with interest. I'll revisit the site.

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 6:50am

G'day.

Quote:
You've obviously been pretty busy, or you're very fast .

Nah dude, it's just a little from column A and a little from column B  Wink.

cheers for the link wanderer. the book/ article are on my *must get list*, eventually they will be crossed off, but not just yet. Cry

my bad, the previous Andean Braid was actually four strands -  the eight was a typo, as was Kongo Garumi, it should read 'Kongo Gumi'.

After reading online that the only real difference between Kumihimo and Andean Braiding was that Kumihimo is braided on a  special stand called a Maru Dai - check the slinging.org wiki article about peruvian sling recontronstruction - it gets a brief mention ( anybody know who wrote the article?, I enjoyed reading it and found it useful Wink ).

I started looking at Kumihimo as a more accessible option for sling braiding (there is more online source material and I'm not really that dextrous) and found  wikipedia has a good article with links worth clicking on. After messing around with Kumihimo braids for awhile, I made a 'Rasta' sling with spiralled 'Kongo Gumi' - that should keep Babylon at bay for awhile   Grin

also note; that the Ashley book of knots (ABOK) has a section dealing with solid sennits that can resemble Kumihimo, so add a few colours and experiment!

RASTA SLING

specs: 16 strands all 5 metres long
          knitting wool, 2 extra strands added for pouch
          no retention loop, just longer retention cord.

it's gona be the first of many decorative / functional slings for sure!

(Jah Bless)

K_F

S7300233.JPG (127 KB | )
S7300233.JPG

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 6:54am

this sling looks heaps better in natural light, it's a shame I don;t have any at the moment.

S7300237.JPG (111 KB | )
S7300237.JPG

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 7:28am

Grin

just realised something:

Quote:
I'll have to figure out your first braid - since it's only(!) got 8 strands it looks strange to me.

Quote:
my bad, the previous Andean Braid was actually four strands -  the eight was a typo

I meant it is four strands that are 2ply, so yeah 8 bits of yarn, just four strands.

K_F

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 11:46am

Looks great K_F! Definitely festive Smiley

Matthias

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 2:28pm

That sling looks good, I like colourful braids.

Andes braiding actually works easier when you have 16 strands.
It is not hard to do, once you understand the basics, but it is a 'female dog' to explain.

Holding the braid on a disk is posible, but the andes or peruvian braids are the only way I know to work with 16 or more strands without having to use tools.

Hold the start of the braid in your fist, with it you hold the east and west parts of your strings, north and south are on the outside of your fingers and anchored by some of your fingers.
Pick up one string from the north and one from the south, move them together, once they are in the new position, anchor them with your little finger or ring finger. (I use the little finger to anchor the strings moving away from me, the end of the ring finger for those coming towards me.)
Select the next set of two, move them and anchor them, so you go on till you have done all on the north and south side of the braid.
Now fish the east and west set out of your hand, pull the ends up and twist till they are in the north and south position. What used to be north and south will be held inside your fist.
Repeat.

This is also in the Cahlander book, and when holding the braid in this way you can braid everywhere, without any tools, not even a point to tie to.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Chris)