Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preparing Rabbit Hide? (Read 1211 times)
Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Preparing Rabbit Hide?
Jan 8th, 2008 at 12:14pm

So, I've decided to prepare a rabbit hide, problem is that I've never done this before. I know the basics...my plan to use salt and borax  but what about making it pliable and soft. Rabbit hide is very delicate. Does anyone have any tricks they might wanna share?

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Tanning Rabbit Fur?
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 12:23pm

yeah, and actually it's easier with a rabbit hide.
  The hide of any mammal is made of small fibers. All these fibers are actually facing the same way, namely vertically along the long axis of the animal. When the hide is tanned, these fibers become stiff.
  What you have to do is "break" the fibers. For a rabbit, here's what you do. Dampen ( not soak) the hide, then put it over the edge of a table (like your kitchen counter) then, simply work and rub it over the edge. Do it in every direction. If the hide dries, wet it again. What this does is break the fibers and softens the hide. You have to be careful on the edge of course.
  Another option, believe it or not is to use one of those table top rock tumblers. Put the hide in with pumice, and let it go. Check onit every few minutes until the desired softness is achieved.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)