Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
nunchacku (nunchucks) (Read 6117 times)
big_sling_gland
Ex Member

nunchacku (nunchucks)
Jan 5th, 2008 at 3:55pm

hey does anybody like nunchaku they are pretty cool to do tricks with and are a good self-defence weapon.

IP Logged

DesertPilot
Descens

Oops!

Mountain View, CA
Re: nunchacku (nunchucks)
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 1:03am

I know that I shall be punished for this in my next life... and probably this one as well... but...

How many nuns could a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

Sorry about that.  I just couldn't help myself.  Must be the result of poor nutrition as a child Smiley

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 10:37am

I've known a number of people who picked up the nunchaku and tried playing with them; they all succeeded in knocking themselves silly...

It's a perfectly good weapon, derived from an agricultural flail used to separate rice grains from chaff.  The Okinawans were prohibited from having real weapons by the invading Japanese, so they used weapons improvised from simple tools.  These became the "Ko-Budo" or "ancient weapons".
The Tonfa is a rice-grinder handle, for instance.

Anyway, if you look at authentic Okinawan nunchaku techniques, such as presented in Fumio Demura's books, you'll see very simple and direct techniques.  Block and strike, trap and strike, that sort of thing.  No fancy spinning and twirling.

When Bruce Lee showed off his spinning skills (he apparently loved the things, but not for combat) EVERYONE wanted to do it.

For practical purposes, nunchaku are universally outlawed; I don't know a single state that allows them to be carried.    They are also rather bulky.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 11:40am

Bikewer wrote on Jan 6th, 2008 at 10:37am:
... For practical purposes, nunchaku are universally outlawed; I don't know a single state that allows them to be carried. ...

For a universally allowed 'Martial Arts' weapon  Cool get and learn to use a crook handled cane. Not very stylish  Undecided ; but can carry everywhere.

P.S. I've used nunchaku and have a knot on my head to prove it. And yes they are cool Cool

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 12:11pm

Yes, I've use them for about a month and to tell you the truth they would be great for combat if they weren't banned everwhere. Not that I want to hurt anybody but if you need them to save yourself of course you would use them. I don't like how they bann small defence weapons but they don't bann small consealable pistols.

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 12:22pm

Small pistols are restricted. So are other weapons. However, if someone wants to pack a pistol, they probably have a good reason, fi they are doing it legally. On the other hand (no offense), if nunchucks and throwing knives and shurikens and all of that weren't banned/heavily restricted, every kid on the block would be toting lethal weapons, probably with no knowledge of their use, and certainly no need. Then, in the heat of anger, someone would get hurt.
not many cops and others who may actually need guns pack nunchucks...

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 12:44pm

O good reason.

IP Logged

DesertPilot
Descens

Oops!

Mountain View, CA
Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 2:26pm

I dunno.  I've known plenty of people who carried pistols for 'self-defense' -- often quite legally -- and pointed them at someone because he seemed 'threatening'.  In practice, this often meant they were carrying the gun in case they got angry, and pulled it on someone because the fellow honked his horn at them in traffic.  From what little I've seen, guns pretty much top the list of lethal weapons that people carry with no knowledge of their use and pull out in the heat of anger.   Traditional martial arts weapons require at least a wee bit of training, which might make people less likely to pick one up and go looking for a fight.  I've had a lot more people point guns at me over the years than nunchuks, tonfas, or the like.

Still, it's a tough call.  People may have a bit more respect for guns, and recognize that they could get into serious trouble if they pull the trigger.  Indeed, that may be why I'm still around.  No telling what might have happened if those drunken ranchers had been carrying bo staffs or triple irons.

For what it's worth, the guards at the base here used to carry tonfas in addition to their 9mm automatics.  I always thought that was a good choice.  Nunchuks may be cooler, but as so many people have observed on this thread, they can be tricky to use.  And I wish one of you guys could show me how to block a sword or a naginata with the darn things...

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 2:40pm

From fencing experience, just parry the blow to either side of you.

Anyways, the difference is people who need guns (police officers, military personnel, etc.) carry them almost constantly. Since they are restricted, people need licenses and such to carry them; in theory, this makes sure the person knows how to use it, when to use it and is reasonable enough not to just shoot any old pest. However, plenty of guns are carried illegally, and when caught are confiscated and the bearer punished.
With "weird" exotic weapons, any kid who watches Bruce Lee do something cool wants one. So, he gets one, and carries it around with him. Why? Well, to beat up "bad" guys, and show off with. Then, he breaks his skull, or someone else's.
If a police officer wants to carry nunchaku, sure! Why not? But any little kid? No way!
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2008 at 2:48pm by Ethan »  

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 9:24pm

DesertPilot wrote on Jan 6th, 2008 at 1:03am:
I know that I shall be punished for this in my next life... and probably this one as well... but...

How many nuns could a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

Sorry about that.  I just couldn't help myself.  Must be the result of poor nutrition as a child Smiley

Grin LOL

I love it.

I do nunchuck a bit (I think every Hong Kong kid who have seen Bruce Lee's movies does.).  I own three of them.  Two of them identical and the third much heavier and padded for pratice purpose.  I know a few basic tricks well and am not egar to learn new ones so I haven't hurt myself doing it.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 7:07am

When Bruce Lee showed off his spinning skills (he apparently loved the things, but not for combat) EVERYONE wanted to do it.

If you see the endings of his movies, you will see that he did fail in performing those cool spinnings. Even a person as skillful as him fails sometimes. Those are indeed for show only.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 10:57am

Speaking as a police officer, I'd note that over the years, there were attempts to at least market nunchaku and nunchaku-like devices for police work. 
At least one company made a "baton" that came apart into two sections connected by a cable.

No doubt some coppers bought and carried these back when things were "looser" in regards to weaponry.    When I started in police work in 1968, there were very few restrictions.    All you were issued was a badge and a gun, you had to buy everything else....

We were encouraged to buy a "Nightstick", but there were no requirements as to type, and no training either!   Guys also carried "slappers", blackjacks, weighted gloves, mechanical come-a-long devices, brass knuckles, and who knows what else.

All has changed over the intervening 40-ish years.   Now,  concerned about both liability and public relations, police departments almost universally prohibit all these devices.    Most departments have a policy that states in effect, "If we don't issue it, you don't carry it.  If we do issue it, you WILL carry it.)   And extensive training for any weapon issued.

Mind, I go "tooled up" pretty good.  I normally carry not only the Glock, but expandable baton, Taser, and Pepper Spray.  Two pairs of cuffs. 

That's pretty typical.

IP Logged

big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 2:24pm

Ethan wrote on Jan 6th, 2008 at 2:40pm:
From fencing experience, just parry the blow to either side of you.

Anyways, the difference is people who need guns (police officers, military personnel, etc.) carry them almost constantly. Since they are restricted, people need licenses and such to carry them; in theory, this makes sure the person knows how to use it, when to use it and   is reasonable not to just shoot any old pest. However, plenty of guns are carried illegally, and when caught are confiscated and the bearer punished.
With "weird" exotic weapons, any kid who watches bruce Lee do something cool wants one. So, he gets one, and carries it around with him. Why? Well, to beat up "bad" guys, and show off with. then, he breaks his skull, or someone else's.
If a police officer wants to carry nunchaku, sure! Why not? But any little kid? No way!

I don't carry them around but I do use them. And I never saw a bruce lee movie but I heard of them, so there gosh!

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 4:41pm

Maybe I will seem a bit too categorical, but using weighty flexible weapons for SD is a thing best left to very, very skilled people. Otherwise, you will probably hurt yourself sooner than the attacker will be able to do so... and believe me, nunchaku can dish out an incredible damage to it's (non-skilled) user. Steel sticks, normal sticks, saps and blackjacks, knives, palm sticks, flexible weapons - that's the order of things I keep in mind when stuffing something in my pocket for potential SD situations.
I am not skilled enough to tote something that can break my hand because I didn't swung it exactly as I should.  Yes, I realize I can be moronic enough to bash or stab myself with some other weapon, but flexibles are downright treacherous.
That being said, I prefer shortened manrikigusari to a nunchaku... very much so.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 6:47am

LKH9 wrote on Jan 7th, 2008 at 7:07am:

If you see the endings of his movies, you will see that he did fail in performing those cool spinnings. Even a person as skillful as him fails sometimes. Those are indeed for show only.

For sure you know that you can do tricks with them but trust me you can do more than show off. Yes, I have hit myself in the head but I would first pratice sliw get the movements right and then I would speed up. But wrist rolls when you start out will pinch your hands alot and maybe hit yourself in the leg.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)