Send Topic Print
arrow sling shot (Read 18963 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
arrow sling shot
Jan 3rd, 2008 at 12:29pm

Just saw a neat item in Backwoodsman Magazine. An arrow sling shot.
  Basically,all it is is a tube that the short arrow goes in. On the bottom is a handle to hold. In the back is the rubber band. All you do is load the arrow in the tube, aim and pull back the band. As the band flies forward, it launches the arrow out of the tube.
  Doesn't give specifics as to distance, but I imagine with the right trajectory it could go quite far.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: arrow sling shot
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 3:14pm

i have seen this before, also seen a slingshot rigged with a little support in the middle to rest the arrow on, instead of a tube.

it seems to me that it would be just as effective without a handle on it, and much more compact for concealed carry.  probably a little harder to aim, but given the probably effective range of the weapon, i don't think it would be too much of an issue.

its a really neat idea, but somewhat cancels out the utility of the slingshot, being able to shoot anything you pick up off the ground.  a neat, compact arrow shooter though.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 3:44pm

Perhaps it would practical to rig up a wrist rocket type slingshot with a removable arrow rest. That way it would retain the ability to shoot stones etc. as well as the potentially more lethal arrows.

At the risk of bringing up the "S" word, such a unit would probably be more suitable as a survival weapon than a sling. Someone who genuinely had to live off the land would be much more likely to be able to bring down small animals and birds with a slingshot than with a sling which, though more powerful, is harder to use.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 6:06pm

i once read an interesting article about a homeless man that killed plenty of pigeons and squirrels with slingshots and arrow slingshots...he also used throwing sticks.

a slingshot is a very practical weapon for taking down small game, it seems to me.  they are quite easy to use and it is easy to get good with them.  in an hour of shooting, you can probably get good enough to effectively hunt varmints.  that is not possible with a sling.

by the way, i once picked up an issue of backwoodsman, very good magazine with lots of useful information.  i recommend it to everyone.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Mr.Joel

Molon Labe

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 7:05pm

don't forget the ATAXs arrow shooting ability, and you can make a improvised arrowshooter with bands and a carabiner.
If you want to kill reliably with a slingshot, use lead balls .31-.35 caliber, rocks are not nearly as effective, this is experiance talking. Of course if that's all you have...
check out [url=www. precisionshots.com]www. precisionshots.com[/url] ,best slingshot I have ever used, it has no equal.

knock yourself out, tosser

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 10:54pm

http://www.melchiormenzel.de/

Look under articles, then go to advertisement.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 6:05am

Quote:
it seems to me that it would be just as effective without a handle on it, and much more compact for concealed carry.

very true, and this works for shooting ball-bearings or stones. you don't need the frame at all. just the pouch/rubber tubes.

SV

IP Logged

big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 3:52pm

that would be cool

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 6:35am

[img]http://www.catsdomain.com/ps55.jpg[/img]

Now that is cool - a laser aimed slingshot. Real mix of the old and the new.

The same people sell :-
[img]http://www.catsdomain.com/os1.jpg[/img]
I thought carrying lock picks was illegal. lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 12:58pm

Hehe... When I mentioned a laser-aimed slingshot to my brothers, they thought I meant sling... That led to an interesting discussion...

Edit: They also want to know where the person holding it is (because it can't be suspended in midair), and why it is so big in comparison to the stone wall...
I can't wait for one of them to return to college...

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Mr.Joel

Molon Labe

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 2:27pm

Yeah, the pictures are confusing I agree. You hold it sideways, which I prefer with a slingshot. The real cool part is the gun sights which really make it a tackdriver. I own one myself, recommend "magnum" bands and lead balls .31-.35 caliber for hunting small game. You can find these anywhere cap-n-ball revolver stuff is sold if you do not want to cast your own. But this setup truly is the fi-shizzle.

IP Logged

Mr.Joel

Molon Labe

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 2:41pm

However if lacking rubber for the bands, one could instead look to the mini fustiball mentioned previously in another post,provided the stick,cordage, and pouch material were availableAussie wrote on Jan 3rd, 2008 at 3:44pm:
Perhaps it would practical to rig up a wrist rocket type slingshot with a removable arrow rest. That way it would retain the ability to shoot stones etc. as well as the potentially more lethal arrows.

At the risk of bringing up the "S" word, such a unit would probably be more suitable as a survival weapon than a sling. Someone who genuinely had to live off the land would be much more likely to be able to bring down small animals and birds with a slingshot than with a sling which, though more powerful, is harder to use.

IP Logged

Mr.Joel

Molon Labe

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 3:04pm

The trouble with all rubber band weapons is the rubber bands. They don't store easily for extended periods. So even if You have several extras they will deterioate even if unused, usually don't keep longer than year before they get weak and break easily, even if carefully stored. Here's a trick: store your bands in plastic with a vaccum seal like one of those euroseal thingys. This seems to allow your bands to keep quite a while longer, can't say why it does but I've seen it done and work. Very important to store out of sunlight, UV rays will accellerate band deterioration rapidly, obvious I know, but should be mentioned when we talk about storage.
On the other hand, parachute cord and an Aussieslinger pouch stores indefinately without need to baby it, and the cord has multiple uses if needed for other things(firebow cord, sewing thead, gauze adherent, etc.).....a plus and a minus for every weapon it seems. By the way, in case You have forgotten, You're the man, Aussieslinger.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 6:30am

There is a compact little weapon from the Philipines that shoots a long arrow like projectile that is made by cutting a small notch maybe an inch or two back from the sharp end and uses a large rubber band on a wooden handle to project it. I will try to recall the name. Embarrassed

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 6:38am

OK, it's called a "PANA" and if you go to the "Primative Weapons" website they have a nice picture and description of one.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)