Send Topic Print
Khukuri Review (Read 14618 times)
CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Khukuri Review
Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:32am

Hello everyone, Himalayan Imports sent me a khukuri to test it out. Some of you may be interested in the results (not yet proofread, so beware of awkward construction and misspellings):

http://funditor.110mb.com/Chiruwa%20Ang%20Khola%20Khukuri%20Review.html

Thanks for viewing,
CanDo

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Khukuri Review
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 12:04pm

wow - that's one comprehensive review.

Be interesting to see how you get on with it in the summer (yep I read it all)

One fine looking knife.
so how much ?
the only thing you didn't mention was price :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 4:03pm

nice review, one of the best i have read of kukris...its nice that you explained everything in very simple terms for those who don't know all the technical terms...

i found this review on outdoors-magazine.com, which deals with another brand of kukiri, which also sound like very nice knives.
http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=327

someday i will get a kukri, but i am really quite happy with my axes.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 4:15pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1196872341/0#1 date=1196874285]wow - that's one comprehensive review.

Be interesting to see how you get on with it in the summer (yep I read it all)

One fine looking knife.
so how much ?
the only thing you didn't mention was price :-) [/quote]
How much, he wants to know? I didn't mention it because in a survival situation you'd pay anything to have one  :P. Kidding of course, it just didn't seem appropriate. They retail $145 (mine was sent free for the publicity). There are both cheaper and more expensive models available. If you go to the H.I. forum (linked in review), Yangdu posts "deals of the day" every few days that have some really great blades that are very cheap because they're missing a sheath or have a blemish - you have to be fast though because they're gone fast.    The summer should be a blast (looking forward to having my ass kicked by mother nature), thanks for the encouragement.

Siguy,
I would be extremely skeptical of other companies. I did a [i]lot[/i] of searching, and H.I. was the only company I found that I would feel comfortable doing business with. Yes, they are a bit more money, but the quality is simply unparalleled - the kamis who make these blades make a good living as well in what is one of the poorest countries in the world. I encourage you to go to their website and do some reading about the company.      An example of the caliber of people you're dealing with: a guy over on bladeforums missed one of the 'deals of the day' on veteran's day, remarking "I was hoping this old veteran would get lucky", so Yangdu sends him one as a gift.

One of the perks of having a website: free toys!! The reviews for the Brunton Firestorm Lighter and Snowpeak Titanium Spork are long overdo, so should be up on the weekend.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 5:18pm

bring on the spork !
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:29pm

Great review, but I think that, like me, you were in love with the Khukri even before you got one for free. Just out of curiosity, how well did the sheath hold up? These seem to be the weak points in alot of kukris.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:54pm

bigkahuna wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:29pm:
Great review, but I think that, like me, you were in love with the Khukri even before you got one for free. Just out of curiosity, how well did the sheath hold up? These seem to be the weak points in alot of kukris.

Shh.... I am a perfectly objective tester! To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect, but my hopes were certainly realized.      The sheath is actually fantastic. I've read of some sheaths which are difficult to use and generally garbage. This one is made from very thick, stiff buffalo hide and is working very well. I see no need to resheath.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 12:18am

Nice HI CAK there Can Do...... But I'll keep my M-43 and Dui Chirra though Smiley

Amazing how many of us keep bumping into each other online

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 8:07pm

Nice review, CanDo.

I want one of those!

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 8:36pm

Quote:
The notch in the blade is called the cho; no one is quite sure what it's original purpose was or what significance it had, but it stays in the blade as tradition.

the gurkha tradition is that when this blade is removed from the sheath, it must taste blood, and the notch with the little spike in it is for the owner to prick his finger safely(!) therefore the knife can be drawn and used for non-fighting purposes, but still taste blood as tradition demands. 
i want one of these knives, it's a beautiful design, and the review was excellent. thanks.

SV

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 1:31am

sv wrote on Dec 7th, 2007 at 8:36pm:
Quote:
The notch in the blade is called the cho; no one is quite sure what it's original purpose was or what significance it had, but it stays in the blade as tradition.

the gurkha tradition is that when this blade is removed from the sheath, it must taste blood, and the notch with the little spike in it is for the owner to prick his finger safely(!) therefore the knife can be drawn and used for non-fighting purposes, but still taste blood as tradition demands. 
i want one of these knives, it's a beautiful design, and the review was excellent. thanks.

SV

This is one guess.

Straight from the horses mouth:

"It has various meanings according to various people. A few are: the clitoris of Kali, the carrot of Shiva, Surya ra Chandra (sun and moon, symbols of Nepal), a "Kowdi" ('cow-track' because the cow is sacred to the Hindus), a blood drip, a substitute guard, and on and on and on. Take your pick. The true meaning has been lost in time so today it is anybody's guess". -Bill Martino      

EDIT: Well now look at that, the forum software is polite. The quote is not "thingy". Bill Martino used the word for the male phallic organ, but the forum apparently won't allow the word to be typed.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 7:12am

thanks for that, CanDo, but it wasn't a guess. i was told that this was the reason by a retired airforce officer who owned a kukri - it was part of a display of weapons on his wall. he could have been wrong though.

yes, this forum is very polite, and edits out "pea-niss" but for all those who miss their freedom of speech, here's a frank but funny song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGRPFUYUUdQ

SV

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #12 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 9:33am

oh i see what you mean, it was A guess, not my guess, sorry

SV

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 11:33am

next time I meet a gurka I'll ask what it's for - might just be for stripping electrical wire like on multi tools :-)

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 1:55pm

I have my own opinions about this feature but I wanna do some more research before I open mouth,insert foot ,swallow to thigh and chew vigorously.

But yeah it one of those things of what it is used for and what it was meant to be used for may be diffrent things.

Marc Adkins

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1196872341/0#13 date=1197131592]next time I meet a gurka I'll ask what it's for - might just be for stripping electrical wire like on multi tools :-)[/quote]
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2007 at 10:43pm by winkleried »  

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)