Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Statue of a Slinger? (Read 24946 times)
big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Re: Statue of a Slinger?
Reply #30 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 6:40pm

Altay wrote on Nov 27th, 2007 at 8:50pm:
I recently wrote a paper about Plato, and when I looked him up in my history book (The Western Heritage by Kagan) I found the picture below on the same page. The caption in the book read:
Quote:
The striding god from Artemisium is a bronze statue dating from about 460 B.C.E. It was found in the sea near Artemisium, the northern tip of the large Greek island of Euboea, and is now on display in the Athens archaeological museum. Exactly whom he represents is not known. Some have thought him to be Posiedon holding a trident; others believe he is Zeus hurling a thunderbolt. In either case, he is a splendid representative of the early Classical period of Greek sculpture.

I did some selective blurring to make the image somewhat less objectionable. Anyway, when I first glanced at the image, I immediately thought, Look! It's a Greek slinger! Is it just my imagination, or does he look like he's holding a sling (very close to the release on a figure-8)? I was thinking that perhaps the statue was originally made with a real sling attached to him, but it decayed/fell apart over time leaving the slinger behind. Any ideas?

What, Are you the fcc of statues?!

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #31 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 3:12pm

big sling gland,

just for us non native speakers, please, what is the meaning of "fcc"?

funda iucunda

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 10:57pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1196214609/0#1 date=1196269648]nope look at the back hand - it's grasping a shaft not a sling.
definitely some sort of spear.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, a brilliant statue either way  :-?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #33 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:23am

Funda_Iucunda,

This is not timely (like, six months late) but, to answer your question about what means "fcc": It is the Federal Communications Commission, a United States government bureau charge with regulating the use of radio and television.  One of the things they do, is try to keep people from saying rude things "on the air".  The FCC will levy stiff fines against a broadcast company (be it television station, or nationwide network) if they permit someone to say certain words.

So when big_sling_gland asked if Altay was "the fcc of statues", he was indirectly asking why Altay took it upon himself to obscure part of the statue.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 5:34pm

lmao - and there's me been trying to work out work the other two words were ;-)
I thought I knew what the F stood for lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Archimedes
Tiro

Is it supposed to look
like that?

Mansfield, La, USA
Reply #35 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:16pm

Funda_Iucunda, I would suggest that 'fire and move' was exactly the tactic used by ancient light missile troops...it was the heavy infantry that fought and moved in blocks, they had the armor and equipment to do it.  Light missile troops, on the other hand, had no armor, other than possibly a light sheild, and lighter weapons and equipment...if they tried to go toe-to-toe with the heavy infantry they'd be slaughtered.

On a completely different note, I've been trying to learn Mr. Larry Bray's distance style as shown in one of C_A's video clips...and I would note that the statue of the "kneeling" slinger, if you were to set it upright, standing on the extended left leg, the statue's upper body would be leaning left and forward of balance, the left arm would be forward and low, the right arm would be high and behind(coming forward) and the right leg would behind coming forward over the balance point.  This is a pretty good match for how Mr. Bray is positioned the instant before he releases....check it out and let me know if you agree (one caveat: the video clip doesn't show the lower legs and feet, so I could be wrong as well)

WRG  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)