Mo
Tiro

"It's a Sling thing. .
."

Norfolk, VA; USA
Re: Slinging in Iraq
Reply #15 - Dec 24th, 2007 at 1:55pm

AB,
I've always wanted to visit the Gilead area, as well as other locations in Jordan.  Petra in particular.  Must have been a pretty cool place to grow up.  My cousin's husband is from Jordan, and says it is a beautiful place.
You are right about Dyneema, it is very durable.  Even against fairly sharp edges. 

By the way, the chair did finally get it, before I left Iraq.  I'm home now!  Yeah!

Mo  
IP Logged

AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reply #16 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 12:28pm

Ah, Petra

Primo Slingspot.

What's a guy to do with all these rose red sandstone lumps?

Sling'em in a Petroid meteor shower of course!

Soft sandstone gives great comet shaped hits.

Glad you got to put the whomp to the ol plastic chair before leaving Iraq.

Glad you are back with family, Slingin Stateside.

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #17 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 5:11pm

I know a bit about string, I would say, with Dyneema as material, I would be surprized if it starts fraying even if you use sharp edged rocks.

Do not trade your own sling if it is working well for you, unless you have a second and third that work as well or better.
(Sorry C_A, but when I see a mistake coming I have to interfere.)

Have fun slinging.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 8:21am

[quote]Do not trade your own sling if it is working well for you, unless you have a second and third that work as well or better.
[/quote]

Lol - too late !
It's apparently in the post :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mo
Tiro

"It's a Sling thing. .
."

Norfolk, VA; USA
Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 10:05pm

Quote:
Quote:
Do not trade your own sling if it is working well for you, unless you have a second and third that work as well or better.

Lol - too late ! 
It's apparently in the post Smiley 

Yes . . .it is in the post, or at least was put in the post about a month ago.  I really hope it didn't get lost.  No worries though, if I have to make another it will be good practice.  I just don't seem to have as much free time since I got home though . . .go figure.

Mo  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 11:22am

go see the - Just to make you jealous - topic :-)

I just love the little bag as well. It's just a neat little slinging kit.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 6:47pm

heya! nice sling.......

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #22 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 6:51pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1196059232/0#11 date=1196528519]Bomb disposal eh ? well that explains it - you're mad enough to join the forum that's for sure :-)

So when dismantling some of these rigged up antipersonnel devices - surely some of them have claymore type ball bearings ?
Nobody would miss a few dozen going in your pocket :-)

For accuracy I really don't believe you can beat a good fig 8 (not a fig8 variation - otherwise known on the forum as 'any style at all I can't immediately categorise' [i][I'm not getting worked up about it - honest ;-)][/i].

The advantage of a fig 8 is that the pouch builds up a good head of speed so the power is good (kind of like a rollercoaster) and you face the target all the time. The final release is almost exactly like throwing a ball and should be as accurate. Also if your elbow starts to hurt you can do it with a straight arm. Or like me get a support bandage and just do it till you can't move your arm anyway :-)

Like all good projectile techniques you keep your eye on the target all the time.

And the best way to learn is to watch that .gif. practice the hand movement [u]without a sling  [/u].
(got it on webspace - I'll stick it here as well :-)
[img]http://members.aol.com/curiousaardvark/fig8.gif[/img]

Once you get the hand movement without a sling it's surprisingly easy how smooth you can then do it with one.

So on another topic entirely - what do you fancy trading for a netted sling (given up trying to get one out of matthias) ?
Sure I could make one (probably) but then it wouldn't have any back story. And as all my other slings have come from various parts of the globe, I do like my slings to have a bit of 'travel' :-)
The alligator pouch has so far: travelled as skin from florida to california then from california to derbyshire, then from there to germany and wyoming (and back again) not sure if it's cumulatively circumnavigated the world yet - but it's probably close :-)  (hmm topic idea there lol)[/quote]

Well I for one don't really like figure of eight, your frame by frame animation can do it better than i can...... :-/

I use an overhand/ underhand for acuracy.

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris)