Mo
Tiro

"It's a Sling thing. .
."

Norfolk, VA; USA
Slinging in Iraq
Nov 26th, 2007 at 1:40am

Greetings to everyone,

So . . . I decided to read the Bible and when I got to the chapter in Judges about the Benjaminite's I started wondering, "Do people still use slings?"  Well I have my answer, and I'm officially hooked.  The guys I work with are now looking at me a little strange when I spend hours slinging rocks at a Hesco barrier Huh.  I guess I can understand, it is a little different than the social norm . . .I look at them the same way when they spend 6 hours straight playing video games.
Anyway,  I'm in the US Navy and deployed right now with a little free time on my hands so I made a couple of the net slings according to Matthias's instructions . . .the second one definitely turned out better.  I'll try to post a pic of it.  I made it of Dyneema fibers that I un-braided from a piece of 12 strand line.  It took less time to braid the sling than to un-braid the line.  It seems to work pretty well, though I'm a little worried about the pouch wearing out and becoming frayed beyond use.  I guess I'll just have to use it and see how it holds up.
Well, enough rambling.  I've looked around a little on the forum . . .great community!  I look forward to participating.

Mo  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Slinging in Iraq
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 1:48am

Welcome Nice rig that you've made.  Cool I like the bend in the cords for display...
Could we see pouch net detail in a future photo?

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Mo
Tiro

"It's a Sling thing. .
."

Norfolk, VA; USA
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 2:00am

Steven,
Thanks . . .one close up of the pouch coming up.

Mo  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 8:15am

Unless you're slinging very sharp edged rocks I wouldn't worry about the pouch fraying over much. That looks like nylon anyway - nice pouch. But then sailors and knots :-)

Having spent far too many hours both slinging and playing video games I can see the appeal of both lol

So - assuming it doesn't violate any security protocols - got any shots of where you're actually slinging ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 10:43pm

Thanks for the net detail  Smiley I mostly throw with a split pocket sling ... hemp braid. I have several leather pouch
and several nylon strap pouches ...but prefer splits. Netting is something I want to try perhaps for my next sling
after all there is always just one more to build.... Cheesy

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...

IP Logged

Mo
Tiro

"It's a Sling thing. .
."

Norfolk, VA; USA
Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 6:08pm

Well, after slinging until my elbow felt like it was going to fall apart, I can say that I think my sling will hold up better than I will.  No fraying of the netting yet.  I have had a few smaller stones get hung up in the pouch, but overall I have to say that I like this style of sling.  My disclaimer is that it is the only style I've used, but I still like it.  I think I'll try a leather and paracord style next.  Really though I just need to practice on my accuracy.  In the pictures below you can see where I was trying to hit a plastic chair.  I never actually hit it, but about 25% hit right above it, 2 went right, 2 went somewhere, and the rest went left.  I'm sure it will come with practice.  On a cool note, without even slinging as hard as I could I punched a hole in one of the barriers.  It's not real thick though, as you can see in the picture.

Mo  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 11:47pm

Greetings. Welcome to our site. I want to start off by saying that we appreciate what you are doing out there.Well Done!! If you get the chance to interact with any of the native population on a friendly basis, you might check and see if there are any native slingers around. Stay well and keep your head down. Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 11:15am

Nice pics ;-) Good release stance as well. You're looking and pointing at your target. So yep just practice.

I also love the idea of a slinging target that's filled with sling ammo :-)
If asked you could always say: 'I'm just trying to put the stones back in the sack' :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

macka

is it?

Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 1:46pm

Navy in Iraq? Are you guys lost again?? I'm just bugging you. I have some tech buddies over there right now. One is a jarhead (if you look real close you can see the threads, they are their so they don't loose their helmets or hats), and one is airforce. I'm assuming you are a tech of some sort too. My marine friend is a electronics tech and fixes vision equipment on aircraft. The airforce type is an airframe tech. If you have access to a motor poool you can score some primo ammo, bearings. IIRC a lot of the dueces have bearing packs based on caged round bearings which if dust renders them hors de combat in that environment are still round, and not pitted, but have been damaged by the heat. This makes them N/S for the truck but great ammo for you after you split the cage. They are a little under 1/2" dia.

IP Logged

Mo
Tiro

"It's a Sling thing. .
."

Norfolk, VA; USA
Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 10:15am

BigK - Well, honestly I haven't had a chance to interact with locals in about a month, but the next time I do I'll certainly ask if they are slingers.  In fact I think I'll take my sling with me and see what kind of "conversation" I can get into.

CA - Thanks for the critique on my stance.  I've been playing around with different styles including the "Bray style" since you posted the video link.  I think I'll lay off of that one though, when I tried it the rock sailed clear over the barriers to who-knows-where.  I  don't want to hurt anyone . . .the last thing we need are  friendly fire injuries from rocks . . .  Also, wouldn't you know, I have been questioned by pretty much everyone I work with.  The consensus is that anytime I am out in the back of the compound alone, I'm out there with my "sling thing."  Huh

Mac - No, we're not lost, there is a lake in Baghdad that the army wants us to sail around. (just kidding). . .Not a tech (in the traditional military sense of the word), though my job title in the Navy does include the word technician.  I suppose we would be more accurately defined as operators.  I'm an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician.  You are right about bearings though, they would make great ammo.  Unfortunately our truck has been running great(?) and I can't come up with any other excuse to bother the mechanics.  I'm pretty content with my parking lot full of gravel anyway.

Mo  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 11:16am

See, it just proves that they have WMD's after all! Roll Eyes

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 12:01pm

Bomb disposal eh ? well that explains it - you're mad enough to join the forum that's for sure :-)

So when dismantling some of these rigged up antipersonnel devices - surely some of them have claymore type ball bearings ?
Nobody would miss a few dozen going in your pocket :-)

For accuracy I really don't believe you can beat a good fig 8 (not a fig8 variation - otherwise known on the forum as 'any style at all I can't immediately categorise' [i][I'm not getting worked up about it - honest ;-)][/i].

The advantage of a fig 8 is that the pouch builds up a good head of speed so the power is good (kind of like a rollercoaster) and you face the target all the time. The final release is almost exactly like throwing a ball and should be as accurate. Also if your elbow starts to hurt you can do it with a straight arm. Or like me get a support bandage and just do it till you can't move your arm anyway :-)

Like all good projectile techniques you keep your eye on the target all the time.

And the best way to learn is to watch that .gif. practice the hand movement [u]without a sling  [/u].
(got it on webspace - I'll stick it here as well :-)
[img]http://members.aol.com/curiousaardvark/fig8.gif[/img]

Once you get the hand movement without a sling it's surprisingly easy how smooth you can then do it with one.

So on another topic entirely - what do you fancy trading for a netted sling (given up trying to get one out of matthias) ?
Sure I could make one (probably) but then it wouldn't have any back story. And as all my other slings have come from various parts of the globe, I do like my slings to have a bit of 'travel' :-)
The alligator pouch has so far: travelled as skin from florida to california then from california to derbyshire, then from there to germany and wyoming (and back again) not sure if it's cumulatively circumnavigated the world yet - but it's probably close :-)  (hmm topic idea there lol)

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:48am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1196059232/0#11 date=1196528519]...
And the best way to learn is to watch that .gif. practice the hand movement [u]without a sling  [/u].
[img]http://members.aol.com/curiousaardvark/fig8.gif[/img]

...[/quote]

another method to get the hand motion down: Replace the sling with a similar length stick, section of pvc.
cane ... etc .....I frequently use a cane

IP Logged

Mo
Tiro

"It's a Sling thing. .
."

Norfolk, VA; USA
Reply #13 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 8:20pm

Ok, so I've been away for about a week, but I took my sling with me.  Been practicing the fig. 8 and I have to admit it is my favorite so far for both accuracy and power.  The practice techniques you (CA and Steven) have mentioned were very helpful. 

CA- as far as trading goes, I don't really have the time right now to make another netted sling, but I would be happy to trade the one I've been using.  You could could just pick out one of your slings for me and we could do an even swap.  What do you think?  PM me and we can trade addresses.

Mo  
IP Logged

AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reply #14 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 10:46pm

Mo,

I picked up slinging as a kid in Ajloun in the north of Jordan and moved a lot of rocks around the hills of Gilead.

Splendid job on the dyneema sling and nice action and hit pics.  If you stick with smooth ammo that doesn't "pick" at your cords I'll bet your sling will last a long long time.  Shoot, King Tut's is in pretty good shape and you're light years ahead of him in textile technology.

I also found figure 8 slinging to be one of the best of many pearls at slinging.org.

Sling Mo betta
Hit Mo harda

Some day soon that plastic chair is gonna get it!

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris)