Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greetings from South Korea! (Read 2448 times)
kcrandal
Tiro

Don't get your sling in
a twist...

Busan, South Korea
Greetings from South Korea!
Nov 25th, 2007 at 7:06am

Greetings from the land of kimchi!

I've decided to give slinging a whirl (Sorry, couldn't resist!), and have been quietly lurking on the site for a while now. Wow have I learned a lot.

Since I live in the city, it's a real pain trying to find enough open space to pratice. So far I've just been gradually depleting an isolated bit of rocky shore.

Even when there's enough space to practice, it's almost always full of people. I have even tried using the baseball/soccer field at the University where I work, but was driven off because the field (compressed dirt, slightly similar to a pretty rough clay tenis court) has been "smoothed" and any rocks left lying about could impede play (causing ground ball to "pop-up" for instance).

Another alternative would be to use my archery club range. The problem there is that traditional Korean archery is practiced at one distance only - 150 meters... I know that many of you out there can top that distance, but thus far on my best toss I can't come anywhere close that that range. Er...oh yeah, I need to mention that moving forward a bit isn't an option - the clubhouse/firing line is on one side of the valley and the targets are on the other. Then there's lots of hikers walking around the bowl of forest between the two, most of whom never notice that arrows are sailing by overhead. Did I mention it's (comparatively) crowed even on the mountainsides in Korea?

Anyway, I'm hoping that once I actually know what I'm doing and don't litter the field with rocks flying in all directions I can convince the school to give me a chace to start working on accuracy and set up a target at one end of the field - conveniently backed with a 10+ meter high retaining wall.

I think I've rambled on enough for now, but really look forward to purusing the forum more and improving my technique.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Greetings from South Korea!
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 1:54am

Glad you're with us.
May need to do what many of us do. Sling tennis balls
They don't fly too far ...and they are soft if an oopsie  Shocked occurs.
The powers at your school may allow a tennis ball on the field where they won't allow stone.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 8:18am

Use the football field - but use golf balls :-)
More distance and more rock like than tennis balls. And very easy to find on a flat green field afterwards.

Also good exercise - sling a dozen down one end wander down and then sling them back :-)

If you have a local golf course you might even be able to get them to let you use the driving range.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:44am

So where are you located in the land of Kimchi. I spent quite a bit of time there back in the early 90's
Stay away from the Soju !
Marc Adkins

kcrandal wrote on Nov 25th, 2007 at 7:06am:
Greetings from the land of kimchi!

I've decided to give slinging a whirl (Sorry, couldn't resist!), and have been quietly lurking on the site for a while now. Wow have I learned a lot.

Since I live in the city, it's a real pain trying to find enough open space to pratice. So far I've just been gradually depleting an isolated bit of rocky shore.

Even when there's enough space to practice, it's almost always full of people. I have even tried using the baseball/soccer field at the University where I work, but was driven off because the field (compressed dirt, slightly similar to a pretty rough clay tenis court) has been "smoothed" and any rocks left lying about could impede play (causing ground ball to "pop-up" for instance).

Another alternative would be to use my archery club range. The problem there is that traditional Korean archery is practiced at one distance only - 150 meters... I know that many of you out there can top that distance, but thus far on my best toss I can't come anywhere close that that range. Er...oh yeah, I need to mention that moving forward a bit isn't an option - the clubhouse/firing line is on one side of the valley and the targets are on the other. Then there's lots of hikers walking around the bowl of forest between the two, most of whom never notice that arrows are sailing by overhead. Did I mention it's (comparatively) crowed even on the mountainsides in Korea?

Anyway, I'm hoping that once I actually know what I'm doing and don't litter the field with rocks flying in all directions I can convince the school to give me a chace to start working on accuracy and set up a target at one end of the field - conveniently backed with a 10+ meter high retaining wall.

I think I've rambled on enough for now, but really look forward to purusing the forum more and improving my technique.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

kcrandal
Tiro

Don't get your sling in
a twist...

Busan, South Korea
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 5:16am

I'm down in Busan...have been the 12 years I've been here.

Ah-Ha! Dinner has arrived. Gotta love a country where you can have ribs delivered to your house...

Be back later.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2007 at 8:35am by kcrandal »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 5:37am

[quote]Gotta love a country where you can have ribs delivered to your house...
[/quote]
lol we can do that in england :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 6:34am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1195992419/0#5 date=1197715038][quote]Gotta love a country where you can have ribs delivered to your house...
[/quote]
lol we can do that in england :-)[/quote]

From what kind of animal????????? :P

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

kcrandal
Tiro

Don't get your sling in
a twist...

Busan, South Korea
Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 8:34am

Pork ribs.

There's a good chance that I can't make accurate comparisons anymore, as I've been "over here" for more than a decade. All I know is that in general, delivery and services which require a house visit are pretty darn fast, cheap and efficient over here.

When my computer power supply blew, I had it back up and running in under 2 hours (didn't blow on the weekend). The guy came to the house with part in hand, swapped it out, tipped his cap and was on his way for $40 US. That covered the cost for both parts and an in-house service call. No idea what it would cost in the west anymore (assuming you could GET in-house service), but I was impressed.

Of course, I also remember when the first Burger King hit town 10 years back, you'd have thought it was a "blue light special" back in the early days of K-Mart the way all the ex-pats got all excited...  Cheesy

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 3:18pm

I was quite a bit north of there. But you do live in a very nice part of the country. At least I thought so when I went down that way for a couple of days.

Enjoy the Bulgogi.

Marc Adkins

kcrandal wrote on Dec 15th, 2007 at 5:16am:
I'm down in Busan...have been the 12 years I've been here.

Ah-Ha! Dinner has arrived. Gotta love a country where you can have ribs delivered to your house...

Be back later.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 7:39pm

[quote]No idea what it would cost in the west anymore (assuming you could GET in-house service)[/quote]
Depending on a variety of factors (did I get a coffee - was it any good, were there biscuits, do they have a very expensive car or 2) I'll charge £40-60 for an in house psu replacement.
'Course that's england and I suspect dollars go a lot further in korea than pounds do in england :-)

And assuming you catch me at home and I'm not busy I could conceivably be there in 2 hours.

What south korea does have is the worlds fastest average internet services.

I currently have 2mb and little chance of improving on that any time soon. I understand that the average in sk is 100mb.
Man I could download my wii images in hours - not the current weeks it takes :-)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)