Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Possible way to clock your stone speed. (Read 26157 times)
wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Re: Possible way to clock your stone speed.
Reply #45 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 9:01am

Ethan wrote on Jan 10th, 2008 at 10:28pm:
So the methods certainly are accessible to anyone... There just needs to be a set system for measuring, to make sure everyone is as accurate (or inaccurate) as the rest of us.

I'm curious, how would that be set up?

Tricky!  For distance something between 5 and 10 yards (or meters!) is probably OK. Just measure out a distance to something that you can hit (barn door - good for me Grin) and throw while recording.

For the moment - I would hope people would just get out there and do it. When enough see how interesting it is, the standardisation will come. Until then I expect to see some 'optimistic' estimates, but that's the way of it.

Your distance you can measure to probably about 10-20 cm  at best - the uncertain part is locating the point of release. For that reason you need a 'reasonable' distance to get good accuracy. On the other hand, go too far and air drag will have significantly reduced the speed and you will read low. I feel that at least 5m is needed to get a 'reasonable' result. It is possible to make compensations for air drag, but it's probably not what most people want.

The nice thing about timing with a sound recording is that the precision is far higher than any other easily available approach, With care it can be significantly better than 1/1000th second. The difficulty is relating the sounds one records to the events one is timing. The sound of an impact is easy to pick out, less so the sound of the release, at least with my slings.

That was where things like slinging through newspaper came into the earlier proposal. No one at the time (T_S included!) took the bait as far as simplifying it further, although 'informal tests were conducted' Smiley.

BTW - all of this stuff can get almost arbitrarily complicated, as an earlier thread suggested. If you split the sites of the microphones in a stereo recording you can easily get doppler shift measurements. Add one or two more channels and you get enough to keep a physics/engineering graduate student happy (or miserable!) for years. Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man)