Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
slinging myths, fictions and historical tales. (Read 5627 times)
axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
slinging myths, fictions and historical tales.
Oct 21st, 2007 at 9:35pm

heya! i'm interested in sling myths, legends, fictions, historical tales, ect ect. the only ones i know of are biblical stuff and the british fictional series redwall by brian jacques. if anyone knows of any other litrature to do with slings i'd be interested.  Cool thanks!

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: slinging myths, fictions and historical tales.
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 5:37pm

Gawd, where to begin? Huh

I guess the best thing to do is go over this site. There are all kinds of stories from myths and legends on here.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 12:34pm

If ya have access to JSTOR there are a lot of historical stuff on the slings there, but ya have to dig though some stuff to get to them and be connected from a libabry that is a subscriber to their services.

But I agree with sling badgers start digging through the Project Golith and the General forums for a good chunk of what you are looking for. Or dig up ones that we haven't heard and post them here.

Good Hunting

Marc Adkins

axon50 wrote on Oct 21st, 2007 at 9:35pm:
heya! i'm interested in sling myths, legends, fictions, historical tales, ect ect. the only ones i know of are biblical stuff and the british fictional series redwall by brian jacques. if anyone knows of any other litrature to do with slings i'd be interested.  Cool thanks!

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 2:32am

There are many novels with slinging in them.  Clan of the Cave Bear, The Rift War Saga, Lucifer's Hammer, just to name a few.

IP Logged

DesertPilot
Descens

Oops!

Mountain View, CA
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 2:36am

axon50 wrote on Oct 21st, 2007 at 9:35pm:
heya! i'm interested in sling myths, legends, fictions...

I mentioned this in another thread, but in case you don't spot it, and haven't already discovered the book yourself, IMHO the all-time description of sling combat in fiction is the duel in This Immortal by Roger Zelazny.

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 3:24am

thanks for this info all. Smiley

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 9:29am

isn't lucifers hammer the jerry pournelle one with the big rock hitting earth ?
Or am I getting it confused with something else.

Certainly don't remember any slings in the pournelle one.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 11:57am

How do you think the big rock got sent towards the Earth? A big cosmic sling!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 8:40pm

At one point of the story they slung molatov cocktail at monsters.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:18am

nope don't remember that - but then I was never a fan of pournelle & niven together. So probably only read it the once and that many years ago.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 1:57am

i recently found a great book with something to do with slings called ancient medieval siege weapons, like i said, it's great. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)