Send Topic Print
Battle of Ventry (Read 10305 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Battle of Ventry
Oct 11th, 2007 at 12:58pm

This is a passage from the Cath Finntraga, or the Battle of Ventry. Part of the Fenian cycle of Ireland

"And 2 foreigners were set against them that day. And Conncrither seized his long sided sling ( an tabhaill) and put a straight even stone in it, and gave it a straight well directed cast, so that it went into the forehead of his adversary, and took the brain as a lump of blood out the back of the head."

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Battle of Ventry
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 1:39pm

eww... Tongue...yuck .... nasty ..... nice cite. Good literary find.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2007 at 10:45pm by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 11:24am

Interestingly enough, this fits in with something. Seems the Museum of Ireland has leather pieces. They are diamond shaped, but the long ends are stretched out. (Long sided sling). Other than that, they are exactly the same as a regular pouch.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 11:59am

good throw :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 9:50am

Nice!!!

Quote:
Posted by: curious_aardvark Posted on: Yesterday at 11:59am
good throw Smiley 

Yes, and then possibly followed by a great chuck  Embarrassed

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 4:27pm

Is it realistic that a shot goes streight through the head or is it just "splatter poetry"?

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 4:38am

When you shoot at something that is filled with water the water will transfer the impact in all directions as water cannot compress. So I guess his head could have exploded if the stone managed to crack through the skull and hit the brain with enough speed. But I doubt that the shot would go through the back.

IP Logged

DesertPilot
Descens

Oops!

Mountain View, CA
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 11:38am

If it did leave holes on both sides of the target, wouldn't that let air in, which would make them...

...Ventrylation holes?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 9:06pm

Tongue

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 10:41am

Like most heroic sagas, there is exaggeration to make the hero look good. It,s the same in the aenied, where thehero launches a glande so fast that it melts in mid air.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 6:00pm

depending on range, slinger power and stone shape - yes it could happen.
Mostly you would expect the stone to lodge in the head - but there is no reason a sufficiently powerful throw could not penetrate with a through and through.

If I can throw a golf ball through half an inch of plywood then a professional career slinger can certainly put a hole in a skull. bear in mind that lead bullets tend to deform on impact and a stone would not, thus retaining a lot more energy than a lead bullet. So yep, it's doable :-)

And no I am not standing still while larry bray tries it on me (just thought I'd get that in ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 10:22pm

We've had folks here who could put a stone through a cinderblock, so a skull shouldn't be much of a problem. Plus , with the hydrostatic shock of the strike you could get a lot of brain matter out of the exit wound.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 10:12pm

Hey Badger, Sorry so late on this reply. This seems to be a semi-running thread inIrish folklore.

In the article "Magic Weapons of Celtic Legends" the author quotes

While most sling-balls were naturally shaped stones, some of them
were artificially made and even composed of weird material. Cuchulain
overcomes Foil1 by hurling an iron ball in Foill's " foreheads midst ".4
The blood of toads, hears, and viper.; was mixed with sea-sand and hardened.
j
A ball formed of lime and the brain of the dead champion Mes Gegra,
was kept among the trophies in Emain Macha. One day Cet carries this
ball off ; later he adjusts it in the sling and throws it so that it hit the
crown of Conchobar's head, causing after long illness the death of the
king.6

Magic Weapons in Celtic Legends
E. Ettlinger
Folklore, Vol. 56, No. 3. (Sep., 1945), pp. 295-307.

Marc Adkins
slingbadger wrote on Oct 11th, 2007 at 12:58pm:
This is a passage from the Cath Finntraga, or the Battle of Ventry. Part of the Fenian cycle of Ireland

"And 2 foreigners were set against them that day. And Conncrither seized his long sided sling ( an tabhaill) and put a straight even stone in it, and gave it a straight well directed cast, so that it went into the forehead of his adversary, and took the brain as a lump of blood out the back of the head."

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 10:59am

Right Winklereid. Supposedly the Celts would soak the brains of the enemy in lime to shrink and harden it. They called it a tathlum.
  This also shows up in another story, where Cochober gets one stuck in his head. It cannot be removed without killing him. For the rest of his life he cannot be angry, lest it pop out and kill him.
P.S. If anyone is willing, I would really like to see if is possible to make a tathlum.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 11:05am

hmm, well you could try it with a sheeps brain and bottle of lime juice from wallmart :-)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)