Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Zinfinium.net: a great slinging resource! (Read 5676 times)
Cesaran
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Helsinki, Finland
Zinfinium.net: a great slinging resource!
Oct 1st, 2007 at 3:24am

I came across this site and noticed that slinging.org doesn't list it on the link page. If you haven't seen it yet you should definately check it out. It has a lot of information including guides on how to use a sling, how to make one and casting lead ammunition. Here's the link: http://www.zinfinium.net/

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Re: Zinfinium.net: a great slinging resource!
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 9:07am

a bit too militant for my taste.

talking about sling as a self-defense weapon, imho, is plain stupid.
there are many better options for quick self-defense than a sling, at least when your opponent is less than 100 meters away from you.  Grin

i do not have the time to read the whole site now, but i am sure there are some good informations on slinging, if you do not bother yourself with quasi/revolutionary part  Wink

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 11:09am

There may be a little too much 'personal opinion' on the site for some, but I found quite an amount of interesting material there. The writer has an interesting point of view being closer to a traditional slinging culture than most of us.

I think well worth a look.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 12:40pm

[quote] for loading - I load this pouch "lengthwise", trying to see that a stone does not poke out to the right and left over the pouch border. This gives the best grip on the stone and the best precision at shot[/quote]
Well that's a load of cobblers to start with :-)
Load it lenghtwise and the odds of it spinning on the right axis on release are pretty slim. Also you get the best grip by seating the missile horizontal.

There's some interesting info on there - he's a trifle limited in his style - but I suspect that a lot of people who were taught to sling by parents have the same trouble. While those of us who had no teacher tend to chop and change a lot more.

But yeah - it's interesting to find he's spanish as he sounds just like an american extremist (no offence meant folks but we've had a few on the forum who sound just like this guy :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 1:10pm

Once you are past the cover page ... the rest of that site is very much like our various forums ... make'm ,  select ammo and sling responsibly  Cool

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 2:15pm

interesting site, well spotted! Wink
i thought some of what he said made sense too, not at all like those "... the zionists/freemasons/jesuits/shadow government is coming to get me Shocked Where's my A.K 47!!?", survivalists types. Roll Eyes
Especially interested in the mention of 14-16th century spanish infantry having slings as back up weapons. First time i've heard that.

"To be. or not to be- that is the question:&& Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer&& The slings and arrows of outrageous&&fortune&& Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,&& And by opposing end them?"&& Hamlet 3i, Shakespeare&&&&    Lux et Umbra Vicissim sed Semper Amor&&&&"...Work is the scourge of the drinking classes..." Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 3:43pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1191223488/0#3 date=1191256856][quote] for loading - I load this pouch "lengthwise", trying to see that a stone does not poke out to the right and left over the pouch border. This gives the best grip on the stone and the best precision at shot[/quote]
Well that's a load of cobblers to start with :-)
Load it lenghtwise and the odds of it spinning on the right axis on release are pretty slim. Also you get the best grip by seating the missile horizontal.
[/quote]

As far as I can see from the photographs there is nothing strange about his positioning of the projectiles. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding in the usage of terms such as 'lengthwise'?

He clearly is apparently not an inexperienced slinger. I am happy to learn from his articles.

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 3:45pm

I just finished reading the entire site and the fellow makes some very good points.  I particularly liked his "Zen" approach to slinging.  Very interesting  indeed.

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

RealK
Tiro

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 5:18pm

Wow!  Cool link.  It is a very interesting site.  Thank you, Cesaran.

MOɅΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 8:49pm

Actually it sounds like his family is Balearic. If so this might explain some things about his slinging and his webpage. Yes the Balearics are very famous for thier slinging both in antiquity and in the modern times. They are also a "Culture" apart form thier Iberian neighbors.

In short a very intresting webpage and one that is now saved on my harddrive.

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 1st, 2007 at 12:40pm:
Quote:
for loading - I load this pouch "lengthwise", trying to see that a stone does not poke out to the right and left over the pouch border. This gives the best grip on the stone and the best precision at shot

Well that's a load of cobblers to start with Smiley

There's some interesting info on there - he's a trifle limited in his style - but I suspect that a lot of people who were taught to sling by parents have the same trouble. While those of us who had no teacher tend to chop and change a lot more.

But yeah - it's interesting to find he's spanish as he sounds just like an american extremist (no offence meant folks but we've had a few on the forum who sound just like this guy Smiley  

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

B.cereus
Descens

de la tierra al cielo

Florida
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 7:58pm

i will give this person a few "props" for their love of the sport; all Politics aside.

“So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him…….”1 Samuel 17:50-KJV
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 12:31pm

No doubt, Most of us are familiar with the Balearics from the Antiquity. But based on my research, those that still use catalan are more the minirity conservitives in this particular society. I'll will also forgive a lot for love of the sport.

Marc Adkins
B.cereus wrote on Oct 5th, 2007 at 7:58pm:
i will give this person a few "props" for their love of the sport; all Politics aside.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 11:51am

I was a little surprised at
Quote:
on my home island, Ibiza, my father's (born 1930) generation still used to put the boy's school meal pack on a branch 50 paces away from the kid (often enough, the girl's too - remember: Ibiza was under attack of the "moros" for hundreds of years - every arm capable of holding a weapon counted!). The youth got three shots at the pack and if (s)he missed, it was off to school without meal.
That custom persisted outside Ibiza Ciudad into the 1950's

I thought that was only done in Roman times, I never thought they might still have done that in the 20th century.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 12:47pm

Doesn't Surprise me. Coming from a rural ranching community, there are a lot of things that we do that date from the middle or earlier of the last century. now we don't do them very often...but they are still done. Some things we still do on a regular basis. Now this is based on when my immediate family was still involved in that lifestyle. Now I am basing my observations on realitives that are still engaged in raising agriculture. None of this has the historical linage that slinging from the punic era does though.

In some of my other intrests the 1950's tend to be a boundry time between how things were always done to the more modern, "do we really want to keep doing that sort of thing....."

Marc Adkins

Dravonk wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 11:51am:
Quote:
on my home island, Ibiza, my father's (born 1930) generation still used to put the boy's school meal pack on a branch 50 paces away from the kid (often enough, the girl's too - remember: Ibiza was under attack of the "moros" for hundreds of years - every arm capable of holding a weapon counted!). The youth got three shots at the pack and if (s)he missed, it was off to school without meal.

I thought that was only done in Roman times, I never thought they might still have done that in the 20th century.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

B.cereus
Descens

de la tierra al cielo

Florida
Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 5:51pm

Dravonk wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 11:51am:
Quote:

Negative reinforce produce positive results??? Huh I think they use this Philosophy in most if not all martial arts.

Hopefully they were full from breakfast and had supper to look forward to. Undecided

“So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him…….”1 Samuel 17:50-KJV
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)