Send Topic Print
Bull Roarer... (Read 2471 times)
slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Bull Roarer...
Sep 28th, 2007 at 10:56am

I have a rather vague idea of what a bull roarer is so I wouldn't know where to begin if I were to make one. I dont even know what they are used for. Is it a signal instrument like a post horn or a bugle? Is it actually used to firghten bulls? I would love any information that anyone can give me. I am not even sure if I should have posted this in thread ''general discussion'' so forgive me if its in the wrong place, its the ketchup wine talking. Cheesy

IP Logged

DesertPilot
Descens

Oops!

Mountain View, CA
Re: Bull Roarer...
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 11:46am

They're simple to make.  First you need a spinner with two holes near the center.  Just about anything will do -- a button, a piece of cardboard or plastic, a sliver of old bone.  The Gunbatau of Alung-Bewai used old credit cards, which they gathered from trash containers along the outskirts of Chulum-Sanda.  Next, run a loop of thread or string, about 2-3' long, through the holes so the spinner is somewhere in the middle.  Drape one end of the loop over one finger on each hand, pull it tight, wind it up a few times, then give it a tug.  With practice, you can get the spinner spinning back and forth to make a noise that sounds almost, but not quite, like something that has nothing whatsoever to do with bulls.

You can make these things just about any size, ranging from tiny 'gerbil-roarers', fashioned from shirt buttons and bits of thread, to massive 'extinct-mammoth-roarers', fashioned from manhole covers and lengths of rope, operated by teams of stalwart youths hauling on each end.  Alternatively, if stalwart youths are not available, you can use somewhat larger teams of lingerie models, though this can lead to problems under some circumstances.

Hoping this has been of some use...

DesertPilot

P.S.  There are no such things as the Gunbatau, Alung-Bewai, or Chulum-Sanda.  I made that part up.  But I had you reaching for Google for a second there, didn't I? Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:09pm

Well. I read DesertPilot's description, and it didn't seem to match with my recollection -  Cheesy.

So although I can't recall what the thing DesertPilot describes is called, I don't think of it as a bull roarer.

The Bull roarer I know of is usually made of a single piece of flat wood maybe a foot long which around the head with a piece of cord attached at one end. Like slings, you can build them bigger if you want Grin.

..and yes - to verify my (failing) memory I did check with the Wikipedia.

IP Logged

DesertPilot
Descens

Oops!

Mountain View, CA
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:23pm

wanderer wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:09pm:
The Bull roarer I know of is usually made of a single piece of flat wood maybe a foot long which around the head with a piece of cord attached at one end.

Wanderer's quite right, the whirl-around-the-head thing is indeed another form of bull-roarer.  I've seen the same term used to describe both types of noise-making-device.  But with the whirl-around-the-head gizmo, you're pretty much limited to using stalwart youths, which can lead to widespread unemployment in an important section of the modeling industry...

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:05pm

DesertPilot wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:23pm:
wanderer wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:09pm:
The Bull roarer I know of is usually made of a single piece of flat wood maybe a foot long which around the head with a piece of cord attached at one end.

Wanderer's quite right, the whirl-around-the-head thing is indeed another form of bull-roarer.  I've seen the same term used to describe both types of noise-making-device.  But with the whirl-around-the-head gizmo, you're pretty much limited to using stalwart youths, which can lead to widespread unemployment in an important section of the modeling industry...

I once swapped e-mail with a fellow in Oz and asked about buying an authentic bull roarer (I had just watched a Crocodile Dundee flick).  He replied that if you drill a hole in the end of an ordinary foot long ruler, run a string through the hole, and whirl it around your head you get the effect without the cost.  Never tried it, but it made sense from the pictures I had seen.

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:08pm

And, as I recall, the bull roarer was used for communication over distance by the Australian aborignals.   You can vary the pitch and volume by varying the speed of rotation.

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 6:41pm

So as the wooden slat (ruler or whatever) makes its noise is it winding around and around making the cord tighter? I've got to go make one right away.  As an early music nut and musician am absolutely enthralled with any kind of ancient or obscure instrument. I've have entire consorts of everything from didgeridoos to sackbuts and everything in between. I can't believe that this has been under my radar for all these years.

IP Logged

slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 7:05pm

Just made one, I was hoping it would be louder. Took 3 minutes. Materials.....plywood, string. Tools ....jigsaw(optional), knife.
Im going to mess with it and see how loud I can get it. The string did indeed do the twist, it had a marked effect on the sound as it got tighter. I'm thinking a spinner lure assembly might help. Geez Im already all worked up about this, I really got the old noodle going.......can you smell the wood burning?
      Well, my little woman and my merlot are waiting for me. Might get tricky explaining to her what the hell I was doing out on the lawn in my undershorts with a jigsaw(dont worry, we're in the middle of nowhere, not a neighbor in sight).
                         Happy slinging.

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 8:16pm

slinginginmass wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 7:05pm:
Just made one, I was hoping it would be louder. Took 3 minutes. Materials.....plywood, string. Tools ....jigsaw(optional), knife.
Im going to mess with it and see how loud I can get it. The string did indeed do the twist, it had a marked effect on the sound as it got tighter. I'm thinking a spinner lure assembly might help. Geez Im already all worked up about this, I really got the old noodle going.......can you smell the wood burning?
      Well, my little woman and my merlot are waiting for me. Might get tricky explaining to her what the hell I was doing out on the lawn in my undershorts with a jigsaw(dont worry, we're in the middle of nowhere, not a neighbor in sight).
                         Happy slinging.

Same to you, Slinginginmass.

I believe Mark Twain wrote in his book "Following the Equator" that he saw some marvelous things in Australia.  The most impressive was a thing contrived of feathers and some small weight that the natives could throw for staggering distances.  Twain said he held one and didn't understand how something so light could be thrown so far.

The second most impressive was a native's demonstration of a boomerang.  The native threw it, it sailed out, came back, and hovered over the native's head.  The native did a hand-stand and recovered it with his feet!  If you can imagine that.

Twain was many things, but he wasn't a liar.

Sling on!   Wink

Trebuchet

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 8:50am

I've got a genuine aboriginal one that is an oval piece of wood with cord attached. You just swing it round your head and it makes a noise. No reason at all why other things shouldn't be used for the same purpose - but if you want it to make a decent noise - it needs to be a good size and swinging at some speed.

read 'The Last Continent' by terry pratchett. A bull roarer plays a fairly significant part towads the end ;-)
[url]http://www.harpercollins.com/features/pratchettbooks/description.aspx?isbn=9780061059070[/url]

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy)