Distance (Read 4129 times)
Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Distance
Sep 18th, 2007 at 8:01am

How far can you sling??
I know we all can sling but how far I was talking to a mate and asked him how far was 100 yards he said as far as that tree to me it seemed like 75 yards, so does everyone have a different preception of distance or what, the last time I ran 100 yards was at school 50+ years ago, scary or what (it nearly killed me then heaven only knows what would happen now if i tried it) anyway the point of this ramble is does any one know of an easy way to measure 100 yards so that I can get some idea of how far I can really sling, I am going to try a length of string to start with a stick on each end.

IP Logged

Lasse C

Nodeo, ergo sum

Vänersborg, Sweden
Re: Distance
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 9:46am

Some 15 years ago when I was slinging often for a period, I could do 100-meter throws on a fairly regular basis. I was throwing across an old sand/gravel pit which was about 100 metres across. (At least according to the guy who owned the place) The pit had a seemingly endless supply of well-rounded stones of suitable size, so I had unlimited access to free ammo.

If I threw 10 stones, 6-7 of them landed on the ground outside the pit on the other side, with a spread of maybe 3 metres. (I doubt I could do that today, though - at least not without lots of practice first.)

I also had fun setting up balloons at distances of 15-30 metres and banging them with stones from the sling. (Sometimes I would draw faces on the balloons, too - OK, it might be childish, but it was a lot of fun!!!)  Grin

Lasse C

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 12:09pm

I think many people are quite inaccurate in judging distances. There seems to be a strong tendency is to overestimate rather than underestimate in most cases Cheesy

I used to take my measure of 100yds as being the length of the football (soccer) pitches near where I used to throw - close enough for me, anyway. For general use, perhaps the best thing is to learn how long one's stride is. That can be pretty accurate, and a lot less trouble than measuring tapes etc. Doesn't solve the problem of judging the distance when you can't walk there of course. If you want to do it 'properly' can't see anything wrong with the sticks and string, though.

IP Logged

DesertPilot
Descens

Oops!

Mountain View, CA
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 12:38pm

Back when I was at Caltech, sometime before mankind discovered the use of fire, we had really good luck just pacing off distances.  With practice, we could map a large corridor complex with an accuracy of 5% -- this came in useful when we had to make a quick reconnaisance of some promising objective without getting caught with measuring equipment.  The trick, as wanderer says, is to learn how long one's stride is.

The question I have for all of you Mightier Slingers out there is... how the heck do you break 100 yards?  I can throw that far... just barely... with a 1-meter sling, a good stone, a lot of luck, and a strong tailwind, but anything more seems beyond the limits of human power.  What kind of throw do you use?  Does it just take years of practice?  A faster twirl?  A harder snap?  A bigger range of motion during the throw?  A longer sling?  Many cups of extremely powerful espresso?  Some of the above?  None of the above?  All of the above?

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 4:04pm

Inspired by the discussion of the ATAX I made a small image that can be used as a rangefinder. But I didn't try it yet.

You would have to print the image with 90 dpi, glue it to cardboard, cut out the hole. Then hold it 60 cm (24") away from you and look at a 180 cm (72") big man (or imagine one). Depending on how big he apears in the hole you know the distance (though not very accuratly).

Maybe I will later upload the vector image, but for now you have got the bitmap.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 7:27pm

A good underhand throw 75 to 100 yds. If i use a pirouette style i can clear 200yds

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 11:12pm

Go check out the distance chart from the main page- this answers the main question.

I paced out 240 yards, I probably slung a wee bit further as I paced from the fence bordering the wood and the stone hit a tree within the wood :-)

But distance is one of those things that is down to technique as  much as anything else.
If you have a straight over hand/arm style then yes 100 yards is a good throw. If you use a sidearm, or helicopter/sidearm style then 100 yards is merely a place to start.

In  a few days at the SLINGFEST we'll be measuring with gps on a field that is over 500 yards long.

I figure with a good stone and my new long sling I should be able to hit 300 plus. but we'll see :-)   

And if you came you could too :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 2:33pm

As I'm slinging near a river (more accurate across it) and there are stone walls on each side of the river, I just looked up the distance on the map. It's around 150 meters. So I can estimate the distance quite accurate. Because the river is right in front of the stone wall, it's easy to know where the stone landed: If there's a fountain of water, it's the river. A "bing" means I hit the wall and if I hear nothing it went over it. As I regular heard nothing, I had to change the location for long shots, because I can't see over the wall.

IP Logged

Rueben
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 12:47am

I am currently slinging tennis balls 50-60m (underhand) and was able to get rocks over 100m. Like others, I pace to where my amo lands to measure distance (+- 5 m). Unfortunately it has been a while since I was able to throw rocks in a gravel pit. The last time I slung rocks was at the beach, where pacing is a wee bit difficult.

I figure I should be able to get rocks to go 150m with an underhand throw (maybe more), but this technique limits the sling length that can be used. I just tied a second knot in my 90cm sling (to get it down to 85cm) since I was occasionally hitting the ground with it. I split its leather pouch when the rock in it collided with  a rock on the ground (with the poor piece of leather caught in between).

To answer DesertPilot, for the underhand method I have found that a bigger range of motion during the throw to be important. Instead of twirling the sling around with my wrist stationary, I have my arm extended (and rotating from my shoulder) during the last 1/2 or 3/4 of my throw. This way the sling length is really 85cm + my arm length (which is probably the same as for a sidearm style). I find a very relaxed throw (using my whole arm) will go much further (with no apparent effort) than only using my wrist and a lot of effort. I discovered this by accident, but I expect it is a similar technique to a softball pitch. 

Perhaps I will one day learn a sidearm or pirouette style to use longer slings.

IP Logged

WhoopsIMissed
Novicius

So bad that I tried to
hit the ground and missed

Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 3:06pm

DesertPilot wrote on Sep 18th, 2007 at 12:38pm:
Back when I was at Caltech, sometime before mankind discovered the use of fire, we had really good luck just pacing off distances.  With practice, we could map a large corridor complex with an accuracy of 5% -- this came in useful when we had to make a quick reconnaisance of some promising objective without getting caught with measuring equipment.  The trick, as wanderer says, is to learn how long one's stride is.

I can second this.  Army light infantry platoons often have a "pace man" while on patrol.  He counts the number of paces until he hits a designated distance (usually 100 meters) and then adds this to the distance.  The overall distance is usually kept track of by using a number of cords with beads that work together much like an abacus.  If this technique can be trusted to work for tens of kilometers, it can certainly work for the distance of a sling throw.

IP Logged

slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 7:54pm

I dont know if you have a driving range nearby, I do. I'm lucky enough to have a local range where they let me sling a bucket of golfballs as long as they are not too busy. Its great because there are signs at 50, 100, 150, 200, and 250 yards so I know how far each is going. To be honest 250 yards is not much of a challenge and I can nail the net at the far end of the range with nearly every shot, but its still a great way to spend a morning. The only downside is that I'm limited to casting golf balls which are way too light. The whole thing is also surrounded by a HUGE net fence so it's perfectly safe. Once in a while someone wants to try my sling and I happily oblige, that may be my favorite part. Its funny, my great grandfather owned the land that the driving range is on back in the 1890's.
   Creole mustard.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 8:07pm

slingingmass is there any chance of a vid of one of your throws? i can get about 150 yards and i'm not exactly feeble. i wonder if you are using a very long sling and are unusually strong?
what technique do u use?

SV

IP Logged

DesertPilot
Descens

Oops!

Mountain View, CA
Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 4:48am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1190116884/0#6 date=1190171547]If you have a straight over hand/arm style then yes 100 yards is a good throw. If you use a sidearm, or helicopter/sidearm style then 100 yards is merely a place to start.[/quote]
I studied David Taylor's videos, worked on the form in my living room, then headed out to the coast to experiment with a sidearm throw with my 1m sling.

My my.

All in all, I must say that it was a profoundly rewarding experience.  And I must thank curious_aardvark for this useful and valuable advice!  But additional experiments will have to be postponed until I can find a larger practice site :)

IP Logged

slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 9:11am

I do use particularly long slings in general and I suppose I am a pretty strong fellow, not Mr Universe or anything though. 250 yards is pretty far but with lotsa practice and an appropriate sling I think most fo us can do it with no problem.
For real distance casts I use an underhand technique with one wind up. Remember that for optimal distance that the sling (or at least the initial trajectory) should be as close to 45 degrees when you release as possible. A more severe angle will get your projectile up very high but it might only land 50 yards in front of you. A  stone casted at a more gentle angle will certainly fly straighter and is more accurate at close ranges but also might only make it 50 yards. If you take a look at a compass or even a clock face you will be surprised at how steep 45 degrees really is. I'm going to borrow a camera and see if I can get some pictures up, be patient, I have a technological disability. I'm surprised I can even surf the www.

IP Logged

Rueben
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 8:22pm

Slinginginmass, as an underhand thrower, I look forward to seeing some pictures (or video) of you throwing. Right now I do not think I would make more than 200m. How long are the slings that you use for underhand throws?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris)