Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Cross Golf Ball - could be perfect ammo ? (Read 25846 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Cross Golf Ball - could be perfect ammo ?
Sep 11th, 2007 at 5:44am

I was extolling the virtues of slinging (complete with demo) to a client yesterday and he showed me a box of cross golf balls (after I'd mentioned the slinggolf concept).
For those who have never heard of cross golf (most of us I suspect - there was talk of building a course in the area earlier in the year so I'd heard of it).
It uses rugby/american football shaped golf balls and nets.
Apparently with the correct stroke you can make a cross golf ball travel in just about any direction you like including 'S' shaped paths.
[url]http://www.golfcross.co.uk/[/url]

For our interest however what you essentially have is a glande shaped golf ball a little heavier and denser than a standard golf ball (almost 2 ounces) and dimpled for extra distance in flight.

I've acquired a couple of these (he suggested he wanted them back but I suspect they'll end up in the wilds of wyoming :-) so we can have a serious experiment at slingfest :-)
If we can make moulds they might end up being the perfect distance ammo.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: Cross Golf Ball - could be perfect ammo ?
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 6:45am

Someone already mentioned those golf balls, but they were quite expensive, weren't they?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 8:46am

yep hence the 'make our own moulds' bit :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 6:37pm

Someone near where I live hits old range balls into the woods and I often find them hiking/biking. I have found a couple of these cross golf balls and they do fly much straighter than a regular golf ball. I have found that when slinging a normal golf ball it tends to slice or hook, I dont remember which. I thought this had more to do with the dimples than the shape but the cross balls are dimpled too and they fly ust fine (and wicked far). I am fortunate enough to have a friendly driving range where they'll let me sling a bucket of balls if its not too busy but if i brought my own balls I'd probably never see them again. Cry
  Bear in mind the shape of the ancient roman cast lead shot, most are shaped like the cross ball, ''bicone'' shaped. Slingers early on knew the advantages of this projectile shape.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 12:15am

[quote]Bear in mind the shape of the ancient roman cast lead shot, most are shaped like the cross ball, ''bicone'' shaped. Slingers early on knew the advantages of this projectile shape. [/quote]

My point exactly :-)

Well we'll be trying them for distance at slingfest - so I'll let you know how they fly. The dimples create little vortices in the air that reduces the drag of airflow over the golf ball and lets it fly farther.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 8:33am

okay an update on the golfcross balls.
I didn't get round to slinging one till my right arm was in agony and I'd given up on slinging rocks for distance. So I probbaly got it about 150 yards - sideways lol
But it does straighten itself out in flight and goes straight as an arrow.

Larry brays arm was in a similiar state to mine - but he still managed to put it 300 yards (exactly) which was further than he'd slung either rocks or lead glandes. (but probably not as far as the normal golf ball went the previous day)

So yep golf cross balls do make good distance ammo.

IP Logged

OrangeDuck

Annoying my Mom with Slings
since 9/6/07

San Fransisco Bay Area, U.S.A.
Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:53pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1189503844/0#5 date=1191414793]
Larry brays arm was in a similiar state to mine - but he still managed to put it 300 yards (exactly) which was further than he'd slung either rocks or lead glandes. (but probably not as far as the normal golf ball went the previous day)

So yep golf cross balls do make good distance ammo. [/quote]

Wow, 300 yards with a bad arm- I'd like to see how far that golf ball would have gone had it been a cross golf ball  :o

orangeiguanaduck  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 12:51am

Perfect in every way except price!

The likelihood of recovery of the projectile varies inversely as the cube of the distance thrown, so if by some miracle I managed 300m, the chances of my finding the little mongrels would be close to zero. Makes sling ammo right up there right up there alongside exotic centre-fire cartridges costwise. Nice egg shaped lead sinkers would have to be cheaper and as good if not better performers.

For the still wealthy, but environmentally conscious, a nice easy alternative is to get two 1/2" or 5/8" dome nuts and join them with a short piece of threaded rod so the flanges are touching. This would form a nice bit of hefty hex bar with rounded ends. Should fly as well as lead glands and eventually rust away when inevitably lost, with no environmental impact. Physical impact from one would be massive on the other hand.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 7:37am

Actually they are real easy to find - in a large flat brown field :-))
Golf balls in general are pigs to find in anything other than flat green grass - as we found out lol

But I'm still saying make a mould and make your own cheaper versions.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 7:04pm

What will you cast them from? Please post details if it works.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 8:13pm

me ?
lol too technical for me to bother with :-)
But I'd be inclined tomake a rubber mould and cast from clay or plaster (if I could be so inclined at all).

Size for weight clay would be about right also pretty cheap.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 5:33pm

poly ester resin might work  wouldnt want them clear though

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 11:28pm

Quote:
Wow, 300 yards with a bad arm- I'd like to see how far that golf ball would have gone had it been a cross golf ball  Shocked

The end fence was/is at 300 yards...  two of the club's staff members who witnessed the throw stated to their president that the ball was still rising when it crossed that fence.  Ah... the stuff of which legends are made...    Grin

George N

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 3:53pm

original golf cross ball thread.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 5:38pm

First known sighting of the game on this forum Grin
  http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1098988408/15#15

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, Morphy)