Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
compound bows vs traditional bows (Read 8767 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
compound bows vs traditional bows
Aug 26th, 2007 at 4:40am

Are compound bows much better?  How much faster are the arrows off a compound bow compared to the non-compound ones?  Are there any disadvantages in compound bows? ie accuracy, feel...etc?

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: compound bows vs traditional bows
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2007 at 9:01am

At full draw length the force drops a lot and so you can hold and aim them much easier and still have more energy stored in the bow. The disadvantage is that usually they are more expensive. (But I have never shot with a compound bow, so this is just what I remembered from other sites).

IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2007 at 11:46am

Compounds are easier to use because of the drop off weight.  But they are much heavier if you are walking all day through the bush with them.  I find traditional bows take more practice to get the same shot as a compound but anyone on slinging.org probably understands the need for practice to get good.

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2007 at 7:08pm

well, apart from the difference in feel of a dead aluminum/plastic/whatever else VS the feel of a handcrafted piece of art, the compound are easier to use.

as was already said, the dropoff, meaning at full draw the weight needed to keep the bow fully drawn is greatly reduced, makes it much easier to aim.

they are often equipped with sights and balances and anti-vibe things and whatever else, helping you aim, as opposed to just a grip and your fingers in front of you.

so ultimately, the compound are easier to use (i picked one up for the first time and got a all five arrows on the target) but the traditional bows ultimately use more skill, and the archer will be more skilled and will most likely know thier bow much better than those that use compound.  just a feeling i get.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2007 at 8:44pm

The compound is pretty amazing, but I've never owned or wanted one.   I have an archery catalogue here, and fully half of it is products, bits, pieces, and so forth for compound bows.   

Pages of stuff I can't even recognize.

Hehe- I'll take a wooden bow, wooden arrows fletched with feathers, and the satisfaction I get from making it all myself.

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 12:26am

ever heard of training wheels?

get a big boy bow  Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 5:01pm

on the other hand if you're hunting - then the ability to hold the bow at full draw for extended periods of time waiting for your shot and not moving to alert the animal - is a definite advantage in a compound bow.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Ranger
Tiro

In wildness is the preservation
of the world

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 1:57pm

I hunt with a compound and (dare I mention) a release mechanism.  I really like the esthetics of a traditional bow, and I was dead set against the release until I tried it.  Given a limited amount of time for practice, the technology gives me the accuracy that's necessary for ethical hunting.  And it has its own esthetic, a creative blending of primitive and machine.  If you plan to hunt, I highly recommend a release and a whisker biscuit.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 4:17pm

[quote]whisker biscuit.[/quote]
does that come with chocolate ?
[img]http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk/acatalog/whiskerbig.jpg[/img]
Well a picture certinly doesn't help lol

okay I know what it does:
[quote]This patented rest employs synthetic bristles that completely encircle the arrow shaft, holding it in perfect alignment for a super-accurate shot. Feathers or vanes pass easily through the bristles so arrow rest clearance problems are completely eliminated. Quiet, sturdy design is easy to tune. This arrow rest holds the arrow securely on your bow for tree stand hunting or stalking. Never drop an arrow off your rest again!

[/quote]

But I'm buggered if I can see how from the picture.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:07pm

C_A, i think it works like sticking a pencil through a soft bristle brush and holding it there...

the bristles all come to the middle from the outside, and you stick your arrow in the middle.  when you release, it flies right through the bristles and the vanes go through the spaces. 

puts the arrow right where you want it every time, regardless of human factors like unsteady fingers or a tip of the bow...as far as i can tell anyways.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

B.cereus
Descens

de la tierra al cielo

Florida
Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 9:52pm

traditional bow all the way. keepin' it ol'school Grin

“So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him…….”1 Samuel 17:50-KJV
IP Logged

Reaper
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 10:53pm

Traditional bows definitely, I just got thru making one out of osage orange, im not sure what the draw weight is but it took alot out of me just to string the thing Grin

IP Logged

Ranger
Tiro

In wildness is the preservation
of the world

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 5:20pm

My whisker biscuit actually has an opening in the side, so you can drop the arrow in rather than feeding it through like a needle.
  I love the traditional bows and hope to get a good hand-made one sometime, or make on myself.  But when it comes to NOT watching a deer run off with an arrow in its haunch, I'm willing to use the training wheels for awhile.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 9:56pm

i have a compound bow, but shooting with a traditional longbow is much more satisfying. a compound bow is as wannabeslinger says, training wheels. a compound bow is a dead machine, a yew bow is alive.

look at these

http://www.bowsports.com/acatalog/Traditional_Bows.html

SV

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 10:00pm

whisker biscuit? that's a poof's accessory, why not just shoot, we didn't decimate the french at crecy and agincourt with whisker effing biscuits, next thing is a sedan chair to carry you up to the target to collect your arrows

SV

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)