Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Korean archery
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 10:24am

Tint wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:02pm:
anyone know why they are so good?

Good equipment ... well tuned !  Good eyesight !! And perfect practice (coaching) makes perfect !

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 2:40pm

it's not exactly a tradtional bow or a huge distance :-)
It's an Olympic standard shot with a thoroughly modern bow with sights and stabilisers.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 5:23pm

Evidently the Koreans are mad for archery.  They have a long tradition, using fairly Typical Asiatic composite bows, and they seem to have gotten into modern target archery in a big way.

This particular video gets linked to the "Mythbusters" bulletin board about once a week.    The Mythbusters did an episode on whether it was possible for Robin Hood (should he have actually existed) to split an arrow as shown in the movies.
They pretty well proved it was impossible, even finding out that the filming of the original Errol Flynn shot was done by having Howard Hill shoot a pre-split arrow that was held together with strings.

However, someone found this thing on Utube and it's been linked dozens of times.   If you look carefully, the "arrow" that the guy hits is not an arrow at all; it's a tube dressed up to look like an arrow.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 7:49pm

Yes, now only I noticed that tube. If it's an arrow, there will be a plastic nock behind, which makes it impossible for that arrow to pass through.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 11:25pm

I still wasn't satisfied with that myths busting. The arrow follows the grain - why is it impossible for the grain to follow the entire length of the shaft?!

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 5:17pm

Even if they used high tech equipment and shot on a close distance the shots where highly accurat and a great achievement. Tint is right. As far as I remember slinging results reported a slinging.org it would be difficult even for the best of us to hit as accurately. Embarrassed

funda

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 10:30pm

There are a lot of problems with the "arrow split" thing that are not apparent at first blush.

Even if absolutely straight-grained wood is chosen for the arrows, a typical broadhead arrow will follow the line of least resistance and simply exit out one side or another.
Also, as not commonly shown in the movies, the arrow is spinning in flight.  The chance that a broadhead will hit exactly parallel to the grain is remote.
Period English arrows intended for warfare often used nocks made of horn, very tough.  "Self" nocks, just cut into the wood at right angles to the grain, are only safe for bows under 70 pounds or so.

Finally, recall that our buddy Robin was shooting at a tournament.  Very common in Merrie Olde England, where archery was mandated.  Robin would have been using target arrows, not broadheads.  Else the rangemaster would have been very upset with him for tearing up his targets.
Early on in the Mythbusters' testing, they found that target-type points were absolutely useless for arrow-splitting; they just slid off to one side.

One more objection (that's never brought up...) At best, Robin scored a tie.   His opponent hit the center of the "gold", and Robin duplicated the shot.   They needed a shoot-off.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 12:31pm

umm it's a story lol.
Not real, not history just a story.

If they was a robin of loxley then he was a straight bandit. Not some do gooder. Sure if he was of saxon stock he'd have umbrage with the normans, but as for distributing his wealth to the poor ? Please :-)
And as for the arrow splitting - it's a STORY !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 8:08pm

Of course if you use modern hollow arrows it is much easier.  The point goes in and then splits the first arrow without bouncing out.  After destroying 4 or 5 arrows I now aim a different parts of the target with each shot.  I realize that it is not as sporting as using wooden arrow.

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 8:35pm

Another problem with the Robin Hood story....In The Gray Goose Wing, a history of archery published in the seventies, they point out that many of the elements of the Robin Hood story date far back before Robin's time; the thinking being that these things were just grafted onto the story of Robin Hood at a later date.

Much the same with William Tell.  They pointed out that the story of Bill shooting the apple off his kid's head was told in various European areas long before his time.

Reminds me of the old joke:

"Hey, I heard they found the tomb of William Tell!"

"Oh yeah?  How could they tell?"

"Well, there were two skeletons.  One had an arrow in it's shoulder, and the other one had an apple up it's ........"

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 12:41am

another piece of twisted metal that people call a bow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejiv2E6f1sA&NR=1

heres some real shooting, with a long bow

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 12:03pm

Reminds me of another joke:

Anthropologist is studying an Indian tribe.  He knows this particular tribe has some very good spear-throwers.

So, He holds up a silver dollar.  "If I put this on that tree, can one of you hit it with a spear?"

"Sure", one Indian says, and proceeds to do just that.   The Anthropologist then produces a quarter.
"How about this?"    The Indian shrugs, and sure enough, hits the quarter as well.

"OK," says the anthropologist, "How about this?"   He holds up a dime.

The spear thrower says,  "Well, I'm getting older, and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.  Still, my brother is even better than I am."
He turns to his brother and says, "Brother, can you spear a dime?"

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 9:03pm

Bikewer wrote on Aug 28th, 2007 at 12:03pm:
Reminds me of another joke:

Groan ... ... ...

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 8:11am

now that bloke can shoot - fairly short range though (is that nit picking ?)
lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)