Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tomahawk/Throwing Axe (Read 10430 times)
Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Tomahawk/Throwing Axe
Aug 4th, 2007 at 5:03pm

I used one a few weeks ago, and I haven't been able to forget it. They really piqued my interest, and I'd like to know who uses them, how you use them and where I could get one or two.

Anyone tried these? I was told they were tomahawks, but throwing axe seems to be a bit broader of a term.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Re: Tomahawk/Throwing Axe
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 9:11pm

Nearly any such device can be thrown, I use a meat cleaver.....
There are a lot of different styles, most you see for throwing are fairly small and have easily replaceable handles. (they take a lot of abuse)
However, I've seen people successfully throw huge two-handed timber axes quite nicely....

You don't want anything cheap, like I say, they take a lot of punishment.  Commercial hatchets would not be a good idea.
Check out the "Cowboy Action Shooting" and "Mountain Man" sites; both these groups generally include throwing "hawks" in their competitions.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 1:39am

alot of people seem to like the cold steel trail 'hawk for getting into throwing hawks.  never got one myself.

i have never really been interested in throwing things like that...i guess i am more drawn to chopping with them, and chop i do with a 3.5 pound axe (5 pounds with handle) and a little 1.5 pound hatchet

sorry i couldn't be of more  help

oh yeah i almost forgot; the people that are really into hawk throwing on the bladeforums site seem to also like the classic lagana VTAC

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 10:19am

[quote]No axe in the War on Terror has seen and done more[/quote]
But do other axes know they could join the war ?
There could be whole axe communities entirely ignorant of the fact that they too could be causing terror in foreign countries around the world ?
Someone needs to tell them :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 10:30am

Umm...wait, axes are still used for fighting in modern wars?

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 12:18pm

I know that they were a fairly popular item in Vietnam; a lot of GIs thought they might be more effective in hand-to-hand combat than a knife.
Dunno if anyone ever actually USED one.....

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 3:55pm

i used to be a combat engineer. we were told that the spetznaz had teams to re-take bridges which were mined and guarded (my job!)  they were supposedly able to throw an entrenching tool as a silent weapon to knock out sentries. NB the russians didn't invade europe and now i'm too old to be called up, so i missed my chance to be killed by a flung entreching tool whilst guarding a bridge. anyway a 7.62 round in the ballbag would have sorted ivan out! hang on, a shovel against an SLR? on reflection, they might have tried something a bit more effective, like nerve gas, or an atomic bomb

SV

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 7:09pm

Hmmm... a throwing shovel...
Huh
Sounds like fun...

By the way, what are these blade forums you mentioned siguy?

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 11:10pm

i attend the www.bladeforums.com forums, with many many subforums.  it would be impossible to visit all of the subforums in a day or even a week i think, so i focus mostly on the traditional forums, the hawk forums, the multitool forums, and the survival forums.

oh and speaking of throwing shovel, there also seems to be a following for the coldsteel shovel, supposed to be based on the original spetznaz shovel.  (off topic: the free coldsteel promotional DVD that comes with the catalogue is really a hoot.  the owner, lynn thompson, is really a mockery of himself.  bad advertising, good comedy)

reviews:
serious-http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/cs_shovel.html
funny-http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/2292/shovelrev.htm

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 7:05am

I believe the russian special forces still favour a throwing hatchet over a knife.
And yeah I don't see any problem with hatchets still having use. soldiers still need to make hides and temporary bases when on patrol or stake out. Also barricades, not too mention food and survival situations.
Also I suppose getting through modern combat armour with a knife could be tricky whereas an axe with spike could do it fairly easily.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 10:32am

i think i read somewhere that the spike on the back of the classic 'nam tomahawk was specifically designed to punch through the contemporary helmets.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 10:43am

I know people that will try to throw anything. A big suprise was the big modern metal spatula used for outdoor grilling. Turns out it's pretty darn good.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 5:51pm

lol that's obviously where I'm going wrong, I just cook with my cooking utensils :-)

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 7:33pm

siguy:  Longtime bladeforums poster here as well; same handle.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 9:26am

ah bikewer, good to find a common freind.

i haven't been there long, i think i only have about three hundred posts so far...

but that forum is great for learning about knives.  i have learned alot just reading conversations and arguments.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)