Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bow care (Read 1603 times)
theredneck33
Ex Member

bow care
Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:16pm

wussup ppl? im soon getting my first hand made longbow  Smiley, osage orange with bamboo backing, and i was wondering how to properly care for it, i mean besides unstringing it and keeping it out of the weather. i dont know if hand made bows require special treatment or not Embarrassed, but i want to keep this bow for years to come, so any advice is apreciated. Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: bow care
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:48pm

You got the right wood. Osage orange is considered the best in the states for wood bows.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 3:17pm

Your osage bow should come with some sort of information in this regard (and good luck on your new bow!), but if it doesn't you might consider a few tips:

Osage is a very tough, hard wood, and can take quite a beating.  The main enemy of your bow is moisture.   
It should come with a good finish, tru-oil or something similar.    If you're going to be shooting or hunting in wet conditions, a bit of common furniture wax will help keep the wood stable.
You might consider buying a "tip protector" if you lean the bow up against trees or walls out in the field.

Keep the string in good shape, and wax it frequently.  The very worst enemy of a traditional bow is a broken string; it can cause limb failure.   
Some weeks back, I encountered a fellow at my local range with a bow such as you describe.  He was even older than me... Smiley   His bow was some 25 years old, and still shooting just fine.

IP Logged

Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 3:27pm

One good advise is that you shouldn't keep the bow up leaning in walls when you storage. Put it in some place that you can keep it lying. I found this out by an accident. I put my bow leaning against a wall in my closet and it bended quite bad. Started to look like S. Bag would also be good that the bow doesn't get scrathced or beaten up too much.

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

theredneck33
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 6:06pm

cool, will do, and the furnature wax seems like a great idea, and it should be easy to find. ill poast a pic of the bow soon as i get it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)