Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
apache slings and style (Read 1282 times)
Elthore
Tiro

heads up!

near Toronto, Canada
apache slings and style
Aug 3rd, 2007 at 10:46am

Im fairly new to slinging (6months), and I just constrcuted my 3rd sling. Its an apache style although it ended up being slightly crooked. One of the bottom braids under the pouch is longer than the other, although I havent noticed too much effect while slinging...but then, what do I know eh? Also, the pouch appears to be cupped a decent amount.  So, any tips on the construction of this type of sling besides what is posted in the article???

regarding the throw style: I realize your arm should be behind you at the start but which way should your palm be facing? Im having some difficulty transitioning from the 'holding' position to the overhead. Seems like my joints dont turn that way and I cant get into a fully overhead motion without moving my arm out away from my body first. Hope that makes sense....any tips would be appriciated.

sling length is about 2 inches off the ground if I were to underhand

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: apache slings and style
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 10:58am

Elthore wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 10:46am:
regarding the throw style: I realize your arm should be behind you at the start but which way should your palm be facing? Im having some difficulty transitioning from the 'holding' position to the overhead. Seems like my joints dont turn that way and I cant get into a fully overhead motion without moving my arm out away from my body first. Hope that makes sense....any tips would be appriciated.

You cannot turn your arm directly over your head because of the joints. So I just bend my body to the left (when slinging with the right hand). There is a video of the apache style by Zwiebeltuete I think. I just don't know where that video was... I have made a video with the apache style, too, but I haven't published it yet. Aardvark has got it for the Slinging DVD.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:56pm

I do ?
hang on I'll have a look :-)
well got two that are pretty dark with nice mountains and four that are you and a dog with some snazzy underhand. But nothing that looks apache like.
that's the latest batch - have I missed some ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 1:03pm

Huh? I sent you three videos, all in a park, all from the same position, no dogs. There is one called apache_trebuchet, one called greek-overhand and the last called helicopther. All of them are prefixed with my real forename.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 8:22am

yep - realised after I'd posted that I'd done it again :-)
For some reason I keep getting you mixed up with other people - in this case southpaw, and he's not even in germany lol
They're around somewhere, can't remember if I downloaded them direct to the right 'videos for the dvd' folder or stuck them somewhere temporary to be furtled with :-)
I'll have a look later :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Elthore
Tiro

heads up!

near Toronto, Canada
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 2:30pm

is there anything beneficial about executing an apache style throw using an apache style sling? because i think my apache sling ended up a bit too cupped and somewhat crooked. I might just make another short sling.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 2:40pm

The only requirement the apache style has to the sling is that when letting it hang down it just shouldn't touch the ground. For me that is also the distance from finger tips to the shoulder of the same arm.

The article just described what the apache Grandfather used. But you can use this sling for other styles and the style with other slings. I haven't made a braided sling with leather sew in yet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)