Send Topic Print
Rome:Total War (Read 4881 times)
AncientSling
Tiro

umm....

Milford
Rome:Total War
Aug 2nd, 2007 at 6:58pm

Anyone have the computer game Rome:Total War?
i think its the best comp game...its fun...
anyway, what do u people think is the best faction, and why?

i have some Rome:Total War videos on youtube, my username is sromano0011
check em out!

i forgot what i was supposed to say

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Rome:Total War
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 6:16am

lol possibly should be moved to other topics ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 7:26am

I got Rome: Total War and I also have Barbarian Invasion and Medieval II: Total War, so you could call me a fan of the game series. Best faction is Macedonians or Seleucid Empire. Both have good phalanx units and both do have slingers Wink.
Seleucids also have elephants that cut huge holes into enemy ranks and cause terror. The only problem with Seleucids is their campaing location, Egyptians in the south, Parthians in the east and north and Pontus in the west. Those factions also tend to be rather hostile towards the Seleucid Empire and it is usually the first one wiped off from the face of the earth.
Macedonians are rather easy to start with. Due to their extra long spears the Greeks are a quite easy to beat. You can also launch an attack towards the Thracians. They don't really have a chance because they are very weak faction. You can usually get assistance from the Dacians. Your worst enemies will be the house of Brutii and Dacia.
After all it's a good game but it is rather old and I have played it through several times so I'm getting quite bored playing it. I suggest that you buy Medieval II: Total War. It needs a quite good computer but it is worth it.

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

greenlance
Tiro

Mediocre Geologist, Distracted
Hobbyist, Nerd

Madrid, Spain
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 9:17am

i've only ever played Shogun: Total War.  are the newer ones really worth it?  i've been apprehensive to purchase them because i'm afraid i'll waste my life away on my computer in my basement.  if i'm going to get a newer one, what do y'all recommned, Rome or Medieval?  Rome sounds fun.

IP Logged

greenlance
Tiro

Mediocre Geologist, Distracted
Hobbyist, Nerd

Madrid, Spain
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 9:21am

ancientsling, cool videos by the way.  poor gauls.  Cry

IP Logged

Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 10:21am

There are two Medievals, the older original one and the "update". If you got a good computer then Medieval II and if you don't have so good computer then Rome. The graphics in Rome are quite underdeveloped to my eye after Medieval II but you can glad that Rome got slingers.
so the decision is based to that how good is your computer and money ofcourse.

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

AncientSling
Tiro

umm....

Milford
Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 1:45pm

greenlance wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 9:21am:
ancientsling, cool videos by the way.  poor gauls.  Cry

ty, by the way, i just up-loaded another rome vs. barbarian video

IP Logged

AncientSling
Tiro

umm....

Milford
Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 1:46pm

Nakki wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 7:26am:
I got Rome: Total War and I also have Barbarian Invasion and Medieval II: Total War, so you could call me a fan of the game series. Best faction is Macedonians or Seleucid Empire. Both have good phalanx units and both do have slingers Wink.
Seleucids also have elephants that cut huge holes into enemy ranks and cause terror. The only problem with Seleucids is their campaing location, Egyptians in the south, Parthians in the east and north and Pontus in the west. Those factions also tend to be rather hostile towards the Seleucid Empire and it is usually the first one wiped off from the face of the earth.
Macedonians are rather easy to start with. Due to their extra long spears the Greeks are a quite easy to beat. You can also launch an attack towards the Thracians. They don't really have a chance because they are very weak faction. You can usually get assistance from the Dacians. Your worst enemies will be the house of Brutii and Dacia.
After all it's a good game but it is rather old and I have played it through several times so I'm getting quite bored playing it. I suggest that you buy Medieval II: Total War. It needs a quite good computer but it is worth it.

how would u go about starting campaign as them? i can only use the Houses. a few enemy nations have been killed, but i cant play as em, or at least i dont know how

IP Logged

Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 3:14pm

You can play the other BIG factions when YOU have destroyed them (You capture that factions last settlement). You can also play with the smaller ones but you have to make some changes in the game files and I don't remember wich one you have to change. If you want play with the Macedonians I suggest that you take Brutii and put the difficult ratings as easy as possible. Then you destroy the Macedonians and you can play with them. You can use that tactic to take out the other factions that you want to play with.

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 5:40pm

Have all the games in the series,and allthough I mostly play medieval 3 now,I am a huge fan on Rome total war. and Romans are the best faction,after all infantry is the queen of the battlefield and their infantry units are by far the best.
the phalanx units are good against cavalry,but easily beaten by infantry.
And yeah,always try to enhance my legions with a few units of balearic slingers Cool

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

AncientSling
Tiro

umm....

Milford
Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 6:42pm

k, thanks Smiley
i am currently using rome now, and im starting a youtube series, check it out.
my user is sromano0011, so u can see the videos if u want

www.youtube.com

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 7:37pm

You the guy who made a reenactment of the battle at thermopylae?300 spartans vs a huge amount of peasants if I remember the vid correctly Cheesy

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

AncientSling
Tiro

umm....

Milford
Reply #12 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 9:32pm

no, thats attila16 >.< my worst enemy lol

but i am planning on making a 300, tis real ez

IP Logged

AncientSling
Tiro

umm....

Milford
Reply #13 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 9:33pm

IP Logged

TITAN12
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Birmingham, England
Reply #14 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 2:11pm

Hi, im new here ive just registerd. Smiley I love all the ' Total war ' Games. But im really confused. Huh
ive completed the short campain and the long 1, but it hasnt unlocked the remaining factions.

Ive got the first set of factions,but not the other set.

plz can any1 help me n tell me where im going wrong .

Thx,

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)