Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Short Sling or Long Sling? (Read 2546 times)
greenlance
Tiro

Mediocre Geologist, Distracted
Hobbyist, Nerd

Madrid, Spain
Short Sling or Long Sling?
Aug 2nd, 2007 at 5:00pm

I'm new with a couple questions regarding the positives and negatives of short or long slings.  The first sling I made has a pouch that stays about an inch and a half off the ground when my slinging arm is fully extended.  From the edge of the 6 inch long pouch to the top of the finger loop is about 22 inches.  I heard a rumor that if I make a shorter sling I can achieve better accuracy and a higher velocity at short range shots.  So I made a sling that measures about 17 inches from the tip of the 5 inch long pouch to the top of the finger loop.  I just tried it out and I did have better accuracy but most of the time i couldn't really achieve higher speeds than my longer sling.  I've been using the shorter one over my head and the longer one at my side (overhand).  Any suggestions.  What has been discouraging me is that if I'm aiming at an object that is between 20-35 yards off, I can throw a stone almost as far as I can sling and with MUCH better accuracy.  I know accuracy will come in time with practice, but how do I achieve higher speeds.  Practice as well?  Am i missing some super-secret elite slinger's technique?

The good news is, when i was using the longer sling to throw golf ball sized stones into a lake, i "slung" some that appeared to go at least 100+ yards.  I can consistently get them to go that far.  Hooray!

i'm trying to post a photo of my sling but the "attachment" function is acting up, i'll try again soon.  but meanwhile, the two slings i'm discussing will be my profile pic.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Short Sling or Long Sling?
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 5:20pm

distance will also come with practice as your muscles develop etc.

but also, the overhand technique is generally not as efficient for long distance throws, and is commonly used for shorter distances (based on what i read on these boards)

for distance, many people prefer underhand or tennis/figure 8 style (a modified overhand)

also, i personally find overhand far easier with a shorter sling, and i like to use the fig 8 with my longer slings.  sometimes i use an overhead windup with a sidearm release also.

keep working on it, it sounds like you are off to a great start already.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

greenlance
Tiro

Mediocre Geologist, Distracted
Hobbyist, Nerd

Madrid, Spain
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 5:41pm

thanks siguy!

in this same vein, could the material i'm using be affecting the speed of my throws?  my pouch is "medium" thickness and very flexible leather but my strings i made by braiding thick leather laces (i think intended for sewing leather pouches or moccasins).  the string that receives all the tension (the one without the finger loop) has been stretching some, and i've had to slide the pouch to make it even a couple of times.  could this semi-stretchy material be taking away or adding to my throw?

thanks again!

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 6:39pm

I personally have found velocity, distance and longer slings go together but at a certain sacrifice of accuracy.  As a retired engineer I think I can say that fits with the science of it too.  Shorter slings are easier with which to be more accurate but pay a penalty in velocity and distance.

George N

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 6:53pm

Hi Greenlance,

Greetings from Australia!

Questions about style and effectiveness are always difficult to comment on because without actually seeing it's hard to evaluate even yourself much less others. Get someone to video you, even mobile phone quality shoud be good enough. Then compare yourself against the videos on the site. Dave Taylor's, "Greek Style" and Mark Weaver's "Tennis Overhead (Fig.8)"  are easily located being in the articles section. SV posted a great clip of his Greek style. Search under "Accuracy Standard"

As far as sling length is concerned, my personal (stress personal) preference is 26" for simple overhead and about 30" for Fig.8. And as for braided and/or leather cords, I am yet to be convinced there is anything to be gained in terms of performance though they certainly look nice. Cords should not be excessively stretchy. I suggest you make another sling using paracord or similar braided synthetic cord. I can send you one of my Aussiepouches if you like.

With a bit of practice, good equipment and ammunition, a simple style should give you accuracy at least as good as that when throwing and heaps more power.

Good Luck,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Elthore
Tiro

heads up!

near Toronto, Canada
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 10:36am

hey, just signed up today, been lurking for sometime.

Im in the same boat as Greenlance. Using an oblique underhand(too long to proper underhand) or fig8 I can get the stones around 100 yards consistantly. However I cant hit squat, using a shorter sling, with an overhead throw.

Somethings that I found helpful is to practice with no windup, as excessive spins mess with my release time. Another thing is to focus on your target before and during slinging, give it your full attention and try to understand where the rock hits versus where you aim.
Hope i could be of some help, noob to noob, heh

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 1:04pm

a sling can be too short. For 90% of everyday slinging fingertip to shoulder (same arm) is good for all throw styles.

For pure distance you want it longer, but you hit the law of dimishing returns pretty quickly.
40 inches seems to be about the limit (that's the length both larry bray and david engvall used for their 500 yards throws, yurek looks like he uses a similiar length sling). My everyday slings are about 30 inches.
Pouch size on the longer slings should be smaller than for the shorter slings - resistance matters more with the longer slings.

The trick is probably just persevere, eventually you'll find a style you like. I'm currently honing accuracy with my fig 8 for golf in september (need that back spin for the green shots).
But basically I use sidearm variations for 'who cares what it hits how far can I sling it' shots. non revolution overhand for short distance accuracy (pretty useless for much over about 70 yards) and as I said working on the fig 8 for both distance and accuracy :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 11:28pm

I think it was at the start of the "We need a new record" thread that someone said Larry used a 51" sling for his record... anyway I made up a "driver" sling for the golf at about 50" as that seemed good (2mm accesory cord cords with a holed, diminuative pouch just fit for a golf ball... the idea of nothing extra to create air drag).  I'll let you know how it works... also a 30" for those green shots to the hole/target.  My normal sling is just at one meter or 39+ inches.  On Mondays they have a special at the golf course on green fees of a dollar a hole ($18 for 18 holes or $9 for 9) so I plan on going out and doing at least nine holes before everyone else shows up...   I plan on taking full advantage of their willingness to have sling golfing.  Don't covet... just come out/over/up/across to the slingfest.       Smiley

George N

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 1:11am

I'm not going to tell you if your sling is too short or long. that is pretty much up to the individual slinger. I will recomend the length ya might wanna ty out is to stretch you hand out in front of you. measure from your fingertip to your chest. This gives ya enough length to try any of the various casting styles out there. It's a good general purpose sling.
One problem I had early one was using too light of ammunition. You might try messing around witht he weight of your rocks and see if that helps any.

Marc Adkins

greenlance wrote on Aug 2nd, 2007 at 5:00pm:
I'm new with a couple questions regarding the positives and negatives of short or long slings.  The first sling I made has a pouch that stays about an inch and a half off the ground when my slinging arm is fully extended.  From the edge of the 6 inch long pouch to the top of the finger loop is about 22 inches.  I heard a rumor that if I make a shorter sling I can achieve better accuracy and a higher velocity at short range shots.  So I made a sling that measures about 17 inches from the tip of the 5 inch long pouch to the top of the finger loop.  I just tried it out and I did have better accuracy but most of the time i couldn't really achieve higher speeds than my longer sling.  I've been using the shorter one over my head and the longer one at my side (overhand).  Any suggestions.  What has been discouraging me is that if I'm aiming at an object that is between 20-35 yards off, I can throw a stone almost as far as I can sling and with MUCH better accuracy.  I know accuracy will come in time with practice, but how do I achieve higher speeds.  Practice as well?  Am i missing some super-secret elite slinger's technique?

The good news is, when i was using the longer sling to throw golf ball sized stones into a lake, i "slung" some that appeared to go at least 100+ yards.  I can consistently get them to go that far.  Hooray!

i'm trying to post a photo of my sling but the "attachment" function is acting up, i'll try again soon.  but meanwhile, the two slings i'm discussing will be my profile pic.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 8:25am

good point - you want a rock that's heavy enough to stretch your sling fairly taut. Gives you a much more positive throw and makes it easier to try out different styles.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 10:41am

hi greenlace

my sling's about 24" folded. yours seems a good size to me, but it's up to the individual.
if you make a few simple bow-line slings from lawn-mower starter cord and shorten them occasionally, and go from short to long you will soon find what works best for you. try other variations like the the retention loop on the little finger etc
the sling will evolve to suit you over time, like natural selection. everyone's different.
NB i have found starter cord to be the best material, both for ease of construction and wear. (compared with leather thongs, braided man-made fibres, and braided natural fibres)  i have 3 with bow-line pouches and one with a thick leather pouch (off a foundry boot) but the bowline works just as well

SV

IP Logged

Pio
Descens

¡A cantazos!

Ciudad Real, Spain
Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 2:39pm

I sling in underhand style, usually long distance. The limit of my slings length is fixed by the ground: if it’s too long (more than 1m), I hit it, and my sling gets ruined. Try 1m sling and practice a lot...

Desciñéronse las hondas y comenzaron a saludarle los oídos con piedras como el puño. (Miguel de Cervantes, El ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha, I, cap. 18)

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 2:49pm

Yep and no sense in having to reinvent the wheel.

Marc Adkins

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1186088409/0#9 date=1186230354]good point - you want a rock that's heavy enough to stretch your sling fairly taut. Gives you a much more positive throw and makes it easier to try out different styles. [/quote]

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick)