Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sling bag (Read 2483 times)
_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
sling bag
Aug 2nd, 2007 at 7:24am

Don't know if these have been posted here before, but I found some info on Oceanic slings and also a sling bag, that are part of collection held by the National Museum of Australia, Canberra.

sling from Tahiti:
http://www.nma.gov.au/cook/artefact.php?id=157

sling and sling stones from New Caledonia.
http://www.nma.gov.au/cook/artefact.php?id=329

sling bag for sling stones from New caledonia
http://www.nma.gov.au/cook/artefact.php?id=333

a sling from Tierra del Fuego - I think 'Tierra del Fuego' means 'Land of Fire' and is located in south america. Huh
http://www.nma.gov.au/cook/artefact.php?id=338

does anybody else think that the netted bag straps are an unusal design?

enjoy,

Kava_Fiend

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: sling bag
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 11:27am

that's excellent - and only one split pouch sling :-) Always knew the polynesians had their heads screwed on right lol

Interesting that they were used in naval warfare as well.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 5:16pm

i rather like the idea of the netting for straps, as it could be spread out somewhat to its maximum width to distribute the weight of the bag (an important consideration when carrying rocks) over a larger area, reducing the impact on the carrier.  it works much like those wide sliders found on thinner straps for single shoulder bags:

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50176397/City_Bag__Shoulder_Bag.jpg

i have also become vaguely interested in learning to net so that i might be able to make a shoulder strap for my water bottle out of a lightweight, weight distributing material.

those are also interesting slings...the large tuft on the one is interesting.

also in the description of the bag it says that the fabric is made by knotting the strings into tight rows, instead of being woven.  i imagine that this made for a heavy duty fabric, very abrasion resistant.  also important when toting potentially rough stones

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 8:04pm

Quote:
that's excellent - and only one split pouch sling Smiley Always knew the polynesians had their heads screwed on right lol 

lol, couldn't agree with you more C_A, I had never came across split pouch slings before finding this site.

siguy, thats an interesting take on the bag straps, I hadn't thought of weight distribution. but what gets me about the bag is the fact that it was knotted and not woven/braided. I think macrame is out (that would have taken ages) and it doesn't look twined( taniko), which would also have taken ages. however it was done, the knots were packed so tight, the bag looks like a solid piece of canvas, and I find it very pleasing on the eye.

the large tuft on the split pouch sling is interesting, I would be worried that the sling would unravel, but I guess they new what they were doing. I saw a similar design (with tuft and split pouch) that was posted in a thread about the balearic sling competitions, maybe the style is somewhat universal Huh

Kava_Fiend

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 2:23am

Quote:
the large tuft on the split pouch sling is interesting, I would be worried that the sling would unravel, but I guess they new what they were doing.

I usually put some knot before the tuft so the sling does not unravel. But with each whip crack the tuft loses fibers that are raining down on you.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 3:53pm

in the description of the sling with the tuft it mentions that the sling is made of so and so...and then says that the tuft is attached.  sounds like a replaceable popper as on bull whips.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 1:29am

I tend to prefer the solid pouch so.........

Marc Adkins
[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1186053880/0#1 date=1186068458]that's excellent - and only one split pouch sling :-) Always knew the polynesians had their heads screwed on right lol

Interesting that they were used in naval warfare as well.
[/quote]

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 4:23pm

Tierra del Fuego sounds like it would translate to "Land of..." Something, fire is probably a good guess. It is located at the tip of Argentina, on Cape Horn, at the bottom of South America. Just east are the Faulkland Islands. I can't tell if its just a region/state, an island/group of islands, or its own country. Anyways, thats where it is.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 10:21pm

Fire IIRC

I belive it is a region. Again I belive it was named by Magellan as his crew rounded the cape.

Marc Adkins

Ethan wrote on Aug 4th, 2007 at 4:23pm:
Tierra del Fuego sounds like it would translate to "Land of..." Something, fire is probably a good guess. It is located at the tip of Argentina, on Cape Horn, at the bottom of South America. Just east are the Faulkland Islands. I can't tell if its just a region/state, an island/group of islands, or its own country. Anyways, thats where it is.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 7:29am

in darwin's "voyage of the beagle" he goes into some detail about tierra del fuego, and about the tierra del fuegians; as i recall he briefly mentions their slings.

SV 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick)