Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shortsword (Read 10361 times)
Stoner

Slinging Rocks!

Shortsword
Aug 2nd, 2007 at 1:05am

Hey, does anyone have any experience with the "Angus Trim Tactical Shortsword"? It looks like crap, except for the blade, but I can modify the handle as much as I want just like I do with any weapon, that is, modify it. Wrap some of that insane carbon-like twisted fishing rope I got, around the handle and then superglue it to the handle and/or put on a thin coat of epoxy/resin for example.
I wish the handguard was straight, and not all "beer-bottle opener curved" like it is. But I guess I can get a blacksmith to straighten that out, perhaps weld on some material, and get the handguard coated with something or other.
The steel and functionality of the blade shape and size is supreme in this one, and that's all that matters mostly Wink

(Actually the blade on that one is near perfect, except for the weird crossover at the handguard. Only hope it isn't sharpened for more than the upper one third, as traditional and because of actual methods of use.)

I thought 65cm. blade length (from handguard to tip, after my calculations) was a little too short initially, as I am 186 cm. but luckily I had 6 one-meter pieces of 800BAR 10x2mm hydraulic tube laying around (don't ask  Cool ) so I measured up 60-65 cm on one of those and held it where the handle would be, seems plenty long enough that. Good reach.

If you know any other swords you'd recommend, give me a shout.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Shortsword
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 5:38pm

i would suggest emailing him with a couple of questions

'how do you do your heat treat?'
'what grind do you use? hollow, flat, convex etc?'
'what are the handle scales made from?'
'what do you mean by "harmonically balanced"?'
'how thick is the stock before grinding and after grinding?'
'what do you grind your blades with?'

if he can't answer any of these questions convincingly and with intelligence, you should probably take your bussiness somewhere else, like [b]Busse knife co[b]

you will have a difficult time finding a bad word about busse on the internet, and people chop bricks with these knives just to show how tough they are.

or, if you don't want to shell out as much cash, a walmart machete would probably get the same job done for a few hundred dollars less.

if you do email him and he replies, i would be interested in seeing the answers...it could potentially be quite funny.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

PeanutChewSlurpy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bayville, NJ, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:39am

Angus Trim is VERY highly regarded in the sword community. I wish I could afford one of his swords. If he made it, it's probably awesome.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:50pm

have to admit that running a search for angus trim short sword brings up absolutely bugger all about the sword but lots of indications that angus is a moderator on a lot of sword forums, so ought to know his oinions (or at least what to chop them with).

But it sounds like you'd be better off buying the blade with tang from him and doing your own guard and handle. should be cheaper that way as well.

any chance of a link or picture of this thing as I can't find one :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

PeanutChewSlurpy
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Bayville, NJ, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 1:39pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1186031159/0#3 date=1186159803]have to admit that running a search for angus trim short sword brings up absolutely bugger all about the sword but lots of indications that angus is a moderator on a lot of sword forums, so ought to know his oinions (or at least what to chop them with).

But it sounds like you'd be better off buying the blade with tang from him and doing your own guard and handle. should be cheaper that way as well.

any chance of a link or picture of this thing as I can't find one :-) [/quote]

http://angustrimdirect.com/models/tac/shortac.htm

IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 11:48pm

Angus is a excellent sword maker and is known to make some of the finest cutting swords out there...he is also a damn nice guy...I am/ have been a member and mod on some of those forms you are talking about...ask him your questions if he can (he tends to be quite buisy at times) I'm sure he will answer them or go to http://www.swordforum.com/ and do a search on Atrim swords or Angus Trim I'm sure you will get your questions answered.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 4:33am

Nice looking blades, I just missed some description about what sword is useful for what purpose and where the center of gravity lies. (Or is it always at the handle? I do not know what "harmonically balanced" means.)

From the website:
Quote:
Angus Trim tactical swords feature blades that would have made the medieval knight green with envy.

Isn't that a bit much to claim? I guess the high quality medieval swords would have costed a lot more than $400. The medieval guilds had a lot of secrets and I guess most of them did not survive until this day.

As he makes them explicitly as weapons and not as furniture I guess you cannot do much wrong with buying them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 8:40am

[quote]"harmonically balanced" means.) [/quote]
you can play tunes on them :-)

But I see what stoner means about the handle it doesn't look terribly comfortable.

Umm, mediaval europaen steel was pretty ropey, so he's probaby got a point ;-) (it's a pun day)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 11:44pm

Harmonically balanced....every sword has a sweet spot just like a baseball bat, if the edge geometry is off it can cause nasty vibrations that effect how a sword handles, the center of gravity or balance point varies based on the type of sword but usually lies just in front of the guard ...OK that the penny explanation..

Hate to tell you guys this, I know it will hurt the great myth of sword making but most swords made in the past were...how else to say it...at best munitions grade...made as cheaply as possible as quick as possible....they were made by the same guy who put shoes on you horse, made nails for your house...unless you had the bucks and we're talking big bucks to have a good sword made...about 6 months pay by todays standards...those are the ones in the museums not the ones used by the rank and file those were recycled and used again.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 3:51am

S_ALLEN wrote on Aug 4th, 2007 at 11:44pm:
unless you had the bucks and we're talking big bucks to have a good sword made...about 6 months pay by todays standards...those are the ones in the museums not the ones used by the rank and file those were recycled and used again.

Well yes, we were talking about knights' swords. Did the "rank and file" even have swords? I thought they mostly had only spears, knifes, axes, scythes...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 10:21am

most knights swords were made by their own blacksmiths and were also not great steel.
They didn't need to be, they were mostly just very long blunt axes used for hacking - weight tended to count more than a razor edge.

IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 11:38pm

Dravonk wrote on Aug 5th, 2007 at 3:51am:
S_ALLEN wrote on Aug 4th, 2007 at 11:44pm:
unless you had the bucks and we're talking big bucks to have a good sword made...about 6 months pay by todays standards...those are the ones in the museums not the ones used by the rank and file those were recycled and used again.

Well yes, we were talking about knights' swords. Did the "rank and file" even have swords? I thought they mostly had only spears, knifes, axes, scythes...

It would depend on what time period and location....knights, squires, men at arms, the down troden masses yearning to be free....you used what you had, axes, clubs, flails, maces but yes swords were used by all classes.... usually nobles supplied their retainers weapons, armour etc. and just like today they tried to do it as cheaply as possible...after all there were always better things to spend your hard earned taxes on other than those that kept you where you were...

as for the weight of swords they really weren't all that heavy but they also weren't all that sharp either after all a nice thin razor sharp edge wouldlast about no time against armour... but I'll tell you from experience it doesn't take a razor sharp blade to do a lot of damage.

IP Logged

Stoner

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 10:30am

Hm, thanks guys.

I asked him, and he replied very satisfactorily. I don't think balance point will be an issue, since the thing weighs 900 grams. I have absolutely satisfactory answers about the blade.

But I've just got one problem... Now I don't know if I want the 60 cm blade or the 40 cm. blade... Or some other blade type he has. Wondering about getting REEEAL close up and personal with the blade, like roman style. But also a vest-breaker would rule. Sling rocks for long distance and chop people up close. Nothing beats that. Still nothing.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 10:52am

I would cut down a stick to the length of the sword and feel what it's like. Swing the stick around in the places where you would also swing the sword.

Is there a sword where the front is sharpened on the whole length but the back is only sharpened for the top third? I guess then you could still do a back slash but the chance to hurt yourself would be reduced.
Maybe his "Tactical Cuttoe" is such a sword? But I cannot see whether the back is sharpened there at all.

IP Logged

Stoner

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 1:57pm

Been there done that WITH METAL.

Yes he sharpens it to my specifications. NO, I want a double edged sword. That will work fine if it's like a blunt axe for 2/3 up the blade.

Now I can't decide on the 17" version or a Baselard type shortsword. I want one that can be concealed under a jacket or something, like the original shortswords of Israel. Too bad nobody has ever seen what they look like, so "roman" style is all I have to choose from. I would want something that kills fast, i.e. very wide blade, but also has the most effective point for cutting through knife-resistant vests. A simple thrusting-type sword with the biggest area damage for each thrust (widest blade) but still best possible penetration of vests. Also I don't know if the blade should have a fuller to bleed off fast, or if this will not be necessary or if it will bleed out just as fast..  Also I don't want any excess length on the handle, because I will NEVER  be using two hands on it with a 30-40 cm. blade.
Thinking maybe 30 cm. WIIIIDE and SERIOSULY sharp and pointed blade, with a 10cm. handle or something.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)