New Slinger (Read 761 times)
greenlance
Tiro

Mediocre Geologist, Distracted
Hobbyist, Nerd

Madrid, Spain
New Slinger
Aug 1st, 2007 at 11:48am

Hello all you slinging folk and folkettes!

I just found your site yesterday and I went out immediately and bought sling making materials and I've already made a sling for myself and a sling for my younger brother.  I'm based in the Boston area and going to college outside Chicago, IL.  I made my first sling when I was 11 years old out of some cloth that my mother left lying around.  I kept reading about slings in Brian Jacques "Redwall" book series and I was very intrigued.  My little friends and I started a club where we would use our slings to throw rocks into a river, try to hit trees, etc.  Though it has been quite a few years since my cloth sling days.  The new ones I made out of a braided leather cord (that I braided myself, had to ask my sister how to start the braid though) with a leath pouch that I cut myself.  The shape and look of the sling I got from the articles "How To Build and Use a Traditional Apache Sling" by L.W. Forsyth and "Making A Simple Sling: An Illustrated Guide" by Chris Harrison.  So thanks you two for really helping out. 

I'm going hiking and camping in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with some friends before my school starts and I'm going to make them each slings.  Maybe we'll practice and bring down a squirrel or some other woodland creature.

I'll post photos of the slings I've made within the next couple of days.  But right now I've got to get going.  My brother and I are going to a nearby State Park to practice our accuracy.  Thank you slinging.org!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: New Slinger
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 12:27pm

[quote]Maybe we'll practice and bring down a squirrel or some other woodland creature.[/quote]
if you're not going to eat it - don't kill it.

Other than that - have fun :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

greenlance
Tiro

Mediocre Geologist, Distracted
Hobbyist, Nerd

Madrid, Spain
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 3:49pm

oh, oh, oh.  sorry for not clarifying.  i have every intention of eating anything i bring down. my father was raised on a "squirrel stew" recipe his grandfather would make after he came back from a hunt.  i'm trying to carry on the tradition.  i'm large part cherokee.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 11:28am

in that case - good hunting :-)
let us know both how you get on and what squirrel stew tastes like ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)