Send Topic Print
Man vs Room Service (Read 2002 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Man vs Room Service
Jul 30th, 2007 at 10:15am

Turns out Bear Grylls isn't all that he seems.
  The crew sets up some of the survival scenes for maximum drama.
He frequently sleeps in motels during his survival time, then is returned to the area in the morning.
  He has the option to stop filming at any time he wants to

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Man vs Room Service
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 11:35am

never been that impressed with the shows.
He always seems to do only the bare minimum and on the couple of shows I watched he never actually did enough to have survived on what was shown.  I wasn't impressed enough with his efforts on the desert islan to bother watching anything else. To start with he'd assumed that you'd havea survival quality knife with you - so no alternative edges were explored. And his attempts at food gathering were laughable at their best. He did not gather enough food to survive. At which point I lost interest in the programs.

If you want the real deal then look no further than Ray Mears.
Not quite as photogenic as grylls and doesn't have a silly name - but what he doesn't know about bushcraft probably isn't worth knowing.
I've yet to see a program of his where the native people he visits don't learn as much from him as he does from them.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

stone_scorpio
Tiro

Richland, WA
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 2:14pm

What about Survivorman with Les Stroud? I've always liked that show better Man vs. Wild, since the guy is actually out there alone filming the whole thing (or mayhaps I'm just naive?). It seems a lot more realistic.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 9:08pm

Shouldn't this discussion be on the "other topic" page of the forum? 

I've never seen the shows but they are not really about slings, are they?

IP Logged

fogish

Slinging?!

Oregon, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 2:53am

I totally agree with Tint, but I also have to get my 2 cents in. I saw one episode of man v. wild and was yelling at the TV the entire time. I saw the episode when he was in southern Utah (my favorite vacation area) and wanted to murder him. Half of what he did would get someone killed and he ran into too many situations/scenarios for it to be a real survival situation. Also every time he climbed something or jumped down he had camera shots from all angles including when he was swimming under a huge pile of branches to get to the other side (I have no idea why he felt he had to swim under it).

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 10:30am

OK, I screwed up in where to place it. Angry
  I just got back from a 3 day stint at an archeological dig, and I was tired.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 1:56pm

fogish wrote on Jul 31st, 2007 at 2:53am:
I saw one episode of man v. wild and was yelling at the TV the entire time. I saw the episode when he was in southern Utah (my favorite vacation area) and wanted to murder him. Half of what he did would get someone killed and he ran into too many situations/scenarios for it to be a real survival situation. Also every time he climbed something or jumped down he had camera shots from all angles including when he was swimming under a huge pile of branches to get to the other side (I have no idea why he felt he had to swim under it).

There is obviously quite a bit of contrivance in the 'Bear' programs. I also am a fanatic for Southern Utah (can anyone who has ever been there not be?) and was a little amazed. I'd bet he cadged a significant amount of water 'off camera'. The swimming under the log pile.... well his argument was that it would collapse on him if he tried to climb it,.. then he ends up in the kind of slot that he can actually climb out of when he gets stuck. Guess he's just lucky Wink.

My impression is he has a set of techniques he wants to demonstrate, and then shows them, and that there has been substantial preparation of the scenarios before he ever goes in. On the other hand, he has real credibility for some of the things he has done in his life without Discovery Channel chasing him. I wonder how much of the contrivance is down to production 'values'.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 10:25pm

Hey slingbadger my man,

I hope you are not offended.   Lips Sealed

How did the dig go?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 12:14am

My favorite is when he tried to make a fire with a bow drill - if you see it you will laugh aloud.
It's all good laughs except that he appears to be taking over Survivor Man which is a quality show.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 6:46am

ray mears :-)
if you don't have him on your tv - get his dvds.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 10:48am

Outside magazine had an interview with Bear Grylls where he admits a lot of the show is staged.
Tame horses are used to simulate wild ones.

Where he is showing how to use a backpack as a flotation device, he had a PFD on underneath.

Yes, he does motel it.

He had to be coached on how to build a survival raft.

But, he insists he's not a fake.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris)