Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Slinger (Read 601 times)
CuraAnimarum
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

New Slinger
Jul 26th, 2007 at 6:11pm

Hello Slingers!  I'm living in Regina, Saskatchewan.  I 'Stumbled Upon' the slinger.org site yesterday and was almost immediately intrigued.  I love the idea of being able to take up a hobby that requires not much more input than time and I'm also very attracted to the ancient origins of this humble little weapon.

I have to say the slinging.org site is absolutely amazing for those new to slinging!  I found the site yesterday morning and by the afternoon I had already made my first braided sling using one of the tutorials provided and a roll of jute twine I had lying around. Today I went out to a field (we live about 30 seconds from the edge of the city and it's just wide open space as far as you can see) and threw my first stones...pretty cool I must say.  The first one I made felt a little short so when I got back I pulled out some more twine and braided up one (in about 1/2 hour or less!) that's a few inches longer.  I start a one month vacation this weekend and can't wait to see if there's a difference between the shorter and longer one.

One question; the design I used from the slinger.org site is a split pouch one,  Looking at other designs I can see little problem with sewing a leather pouch over the split pouch but I'm wondering if this is necessary or not. Is there much difference between a split or leather pouch?

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Re: New Slinger
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 6:44pm

Hi,and welcome!!

Well,more a matter of what you prefer,I have made the apache style sling(when you sew on a leather pouch) but actually prefer the braided split pouch.
of course, are advantages with a pouch since the stone/ball doesnīt fall out as easy.
Experiment,that is my best advice,have made dozens of sling variations but the one I made just now is the first one I really am satisfied with.
I prefer it when the sling is so long that it almost touches the sling,have found out canīt handle a noteably shorter sling than that.With this length I am actually gotten quite accurate!

Good luck,have fun & be safe Wink

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

CuraAnimarum
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 8:25pm

And THAT'S how new I really am...can't even remember the name of the website.  Embarrassed  Of course I meant 'slinging.org' not 'slinger'.

Another question,  how is length of sling measured, fully extended sling or folded sling?

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 9:14pm

I measure folded ... and have tried 3 lengths ...short..medium...and long ....
no definitive answer for what each of these lengths is as each is relative to my arm length and height ...
Short... finger tips to closest shoulder Medium ... to center of chest  Long...to opposite shoulder...

Your mileage may vary... 26, 34 & 44 inches 66, 86 & 112 cm or there-abouts... just measured me with a yardstick I never measure a sling with a ruler while braiding ...just count stitches to make certain pocket is same length on both sides as I braid it... Cool

P.S. Big welcome! ... Grab some more cord and braid some more ...and more...and more ....
pretty soon you will not be able to find them all...(hope that's not a sign of senior-itis)

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)