Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Little John from Sheboygan, WI gald to be here!! (Read 4714 times)
Little John
Tiro

Soon I will live in the
woods with my sling!

Sheboygan, WI  USA
Little John from Sheboygan, WI gald to be here!!
Jul 23rd, 2007 at 1:25am

Hello everyone,
This weekend I ran into my old friend Andy who told me about this site. Slinging is something I've always wanted to get into. I've been teaching people to make cordage at the Native Ways and Traditional Skills Gathering in Ashland, WI. Now I can make something else with my cordage other than bracelets!! If anyone wants to trade I make things, no slings yet though. I have a variety of raw plant material for cordage if anyone's interested. I'll try to post something to the trading post in the near future. I'm glad to be part of the group!

Peace, Little John
www.brooms.moonwiseherbs.com

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Little John from Sheboygan, WI gald to be here
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 12:34pm

nice looking brooms, does anyone actually use them to sweep crap up I wonder :-)
Also love the idea of the cake tester thing, clever idea that :-)

So it's authentic slings next then eh ?  :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Little John
Tiro

Soon I will live in the
woods with my sling!

Sheboygan, WI  USA
Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 2:27pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1185168348/0#1 date=1185208465]nice looking brooms, does anyone actually use them to sweep crap up I wonder :-)
Also love the idea of the cake tester thing, clever idea that :-)

So it's authentic slings next then eh ?  :-)
[/quote]

Hi C_AA,
 Glad to meet you. I don't know if the brooms buyers actually sweep up "crap" but the brooms are fully functional (except some art brooms). I think I saw somewhere that you're from the U.K.....feel free to send some pics of any besom makers if you meet any over there.
 If "authentic sling" means made from the fiber that I will harvest, I guess I'll be making an authentic sling. I think my first will be made of dogbane. Its a close 2nd to hemp for strength. Thanks for the welcome.

Peace, Little John

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:04pm

Really nice brooms, Little John!

Looks like you have the skills to make some fantastic slings.  I braided a few hemp slings before.  They took weeks to make and the mess I left drove my mom nuts Grin.

does the guitar broom actually make music?  I guess it wouldn't be really loud.  Cool idea though.

Welcome to the forum and have fun slinging.

P.S.  do you know Robin Hood or something?  Wink

Tint

IP Logged

Little John
Tiro

Soon I will live in the
woods with my sling!

Sheboygan, WI  USA
Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 11:52pm

Tint wrote on Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:04pm:
Really nice brooms, Little John!

Looks like you have the skills to make some fantastic slings.  I braided a few hemp slings before.  They took weeks to make and the mess I left drove my mom nuts Grin.

does the guitar broom actually make music?  I guess it wouldn't be really loud.  Cool idea though.

Welcome to the forum and have fun slinging.

P.S.  do you know Robin Hood or something?  Wink

Tint

Hey Tint,
  The guitar brooms make a little noise but until I meet an experienced guitar maker who could help me add some pick ups to them they are only for show. I get a lot of smiles when I bring them to art shows, people love them.
  Also, The name Little John began when my family started calling me that, then my friends, and now I just tell everyone to call me Little John. My Dads name is John.....actually I'm John the 5th. Hope that info is helpful, I get the Robin hood thing all the time.
Peace, LJ

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 5:04am

John the 5th! Shocked

I'm Chinese and we have nothing like the in our culture.  We rarely have the same name, not just in the family but in the mass population.

I play a bit of guitar.  I'd love to have a broom-tocaster. Grin

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 6:35am

I do occasionally come across broom makers at craft fairs and the like - but all the ones I've seen have been totally practical and thoroughly undecorated :-) Pretty much just birch twigs bound to an ash handle, tends to be coppicers that do it.
Never seen anything like yours anywhere :-)

What prompted you to start making decorated art brooms ?
(and see how I avoided any robin hood jokes ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Little John
Tiro

Soon I will live in the
woods with my sling!

Sheboygan, WI  USA
Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:10am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1185168348/0#6 date=1185273315]
What prompted you to start making decorated art brooms ?
[/quote]

I got started making brooms about 3 years ago when I went to vend my whares at a festival. There was a blacksmith teaching a class. He tyes brooms onto his fireplace sets and isn't really focused on broom making. In the class I caught on real quick and fell in love with the craft. The art broom thing just became part of the evolution of my work. I noticed other broom makers were tying brooms on some unusual items and I decided to go for it too. I'd say that I've taken broom making to its limits. My moto is "I'll tye a broom onto anything". So far I think I've done just that with whatever has come my way. Did you check out my Myspace page? The link is on the lower left side of my main broom page. I have a bunch of new pics there that are very interesting. Tint, if you like the guitar brooms you may enjoy what you see on the Myspace page. I'll bet you've never seen a broom tyed on a trombone.

Peace, Little John

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 12:47pm

so what were you selling before brooms ?

also - always good to see another beard on the forum ;-)

IP Logged

Little John
Tiro

Soon I will live in the
woods with my sling!

Sheboygan, WI  USA
Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 1:05pm

I was buying candles and insence from a wholesaler. Its much more rewarding to make something from nothing and sell it to people who want it. AHH yes the beard, I'm glad to have it. When I used to shave I would come out of the bathroom with a face full of paper bits to clot the nicks. The last time I shaved my beard off completely was Feb. '97. Now I think I'd like to see how long I can get it. I have thought of posting a webpage....weird beard.com....haha

Peace, LJ

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 10:58am

you're not planning on auditioning for a zz top tribute band in a few years then ;-)

At least your beards the same colour as your hair lol
Mine isn't.

IP Logged

Little John
Tiro

Soon I will live in the
woods with my sling!

Sheboygan, WI  USA
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 12:10pm

My plan is to look like father time....the ZZ Top thing isn't too far off. I don't know if that will happen though, the beard is getting a bit spindly on the ends. Hey, a grey beard is a good beard, thats a blank canvas for creativity! Green beard for St. Patricks day, Red for Christmas, etc. The light color would probably hold dye real well...haha.

Peace, LJ

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 12:41am

Welcome John. Hope you to get out and sling with ya soon. ....Dork

IP Logged

Little John
Tiro

Soon I will live in the
woods with my sling!

Sheboygan, WI  USA
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 1:49am

Andy, your screen name fits you. I to look forward to slinging with you. I like your idea of going down to Lake Michigan and tossin' rocks when no one is around.

Later, Little John

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:47pm

lol my beard isn't grey - sort of ginger and my hair is much darker these days. beckham copies fashion from me ;-)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)